• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What's your catch technique?

Name

Moémon Master
Years
Catch techniques, we all have them.

From holding down A when you throw the ball to lowering your target's HP.
From putting your target to sleep to using cheats so all balls catch all the time.

My current technique, which I've been using pretty successfully for a couple years now, is to simply launch an assault of balls until one sticks.
This is especially true on legendary pokemon whom have ridiculously low catch rates anyway.
Yes, I will probably lower my target's hp by a bit, but this is not my aim.
And I might wind up paralyzing or putting my target to sleep, but that's more so my team doesn't have to take an assault to which they won't be fighting back.

My "throw all balls" technique is more than simply lobbing the same kind of ball over and over.
You must rotate the kind of ball you are using, the more variety, the better.
I've caught a full health Rayquaza with a net ball using this technique.
I've caught an Azelf with a repeat ball.

So there's my technique, what's yours?

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
pretty Mich the same for me, it is easy early game cause everything is low leveled and a butterfree at level 20 is op for early game

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
When catching regular Pokémon, I lower their HP a little and start throwing Poké Balls toward them. I end up catching them in two to three turns, usually. If their level are a bit high, then it could take up to five turns. When I'm about to catch legendary Pokémon like Dialga, Palkia, Zekrom, or Reshiram, then I lower their HP as much as I possibly can and paralyze them (I like to make them fall asleep, too, but that doesn't happen too often). When everything's set, I throw Great, Ultra, and Timer Balls at them until they're successfully caught. n~n

ShiningLust

Gym Leader of Ground Oden
Years
well idk if this is a style of how to catch Pokemon. I use Pokeball for all Pokemon even legendary but I make sure at all time I have over 600 Pokeballs and I like to use Pokeballs cuz it makes it more fun to catch the Pokemon to me but idk about anyone else

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
I usually lower the target Pokemon's HP to the lowest possible, paralyze, burn or make it sleep if possible, then spam Dusk Balls/Ultra Balls at it. Of course, Dusk Balls only work at night. During the day, it'll be Ultra Balls. Another technique which I assume everyone already is familiar with is to chuck a Quick Ball right at the beginning of a battle and hope for the best.

Altair1

Willpower
Years
I lower the Pokemon's health to the red zone, paralyze or put it to sleep then just chuck my best ball (that suits the situation) at it. For legends, I try to use balls that suit their colour. An example would be a Great Ball for Azelf, Ultra Ball for Uxie and Zapdos.

Sirfetch’d

If it is a legendary, I save before the match so I can have another shot if I fail. I use the same technique though for all Pokemon. I will weaken them to the yellow or red health on the bar and then if possible status them with sleep or paralysis. I will then use Ultra Balls or Dusk Balls if in a cave or at night.

Name

Moémon Master
Years
I think "Save before encountering legendary" is obligatory.
Except for the first time you ever meet a legendary... and don't realize you'll NEVER get a chance to see it again!

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
For topics that only refer to the pokémon games, please post in Pokémon Gaming Central instead. Read the rules of a section before you begin posting in it, to know where to post what :)

-moved

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
I save before legendaries first. :P

First I'll toss a Quick Ball right at the start and see what happens. If it escapes, I'll get its HP as close to 0 as possible without taking it out, then I'll either paralyze it or put it to sleep (depending on which Pokemon I have in my party that can do it). Then I'll toss whatever ball that would suit the Pokemon's characteristics, such as a Dusk Ball on Darkrai (regardless of time of day), Net Ball on Volcarona, or Dive Ball on Kyogre. I'll do this, even if I have a ball that will get the job done easier. xD

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
Years
When i'm about to get a really important catch, such as an epic-looking Pokemon or a legendary (which isn't the master-ball-one), I put the volume down, face away from the DS, close my ears and eyes, and count to 5.

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2016
I use mostly speciality balls, i cant be bothered to get low levelled pokes in my team.

Years
1. Use quick ball
2 If quick ball is ineffective, bring out pokemon with either paralyze or sleep attack
3. use said attack
4. try to attack weaker-ish pokemon to whittle down HP
5. Use timer ball
6. If timer ball is not effective, put pokemon back to sleep and keep spamming ultra balls until caught.

Have any of you guys noticed that the higher level pokemon you have out in the field, the easier it is to catch the wild pokemon?

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I throw the ball and rapid click B. Always works for me. I only lower legendaries HP and most of the time I use specialty balls like Dusk Balls because most legendaries are usually in caves.

ImBlue

dabbadeedabadai
Years
If it's a legendary: save beforehand, paralyze, get down to red, spam ultra balls, hold B and Down as soon as ball closes and keep holding until either caught or broken out.

For everything else, it's spam ultra balls while doing the same B+Down thing. If that starts taking a while I might try whittling down HP, but otherwise it's just keep throwing ultra balls.

Elixir.

Fly Away
Years
I don't really bother with status affecting moves unless I'm dealing with a legendary. Normally I just lower its health into the red zone and start throwing Ultra Balls.

Back