• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

THE RED CHALLENGE.

the :D

<- heracross ftw!
Years
  • Seen Jan 7, 2012
become RED. so, these are the rules.

FIRST, have a copy of any pokemon game, though GEN V has sooo many new pokemon that it might not have too many pokemon from the original 150, so it would be hard -- though if you have a hacking machine, that's fine.

-fill your pokedex with THE ORIGINAL 150 - as much as your game allows -- EVENT POKEMON NOT INCLUDED (this is an optional rule -- but I'm doing it anyways)

-when your party (and pokedex if you want) get to these specifications, you can go ahead and declare yourself finished of this challenge.

-YOU CAN BEAT THE E4 WITH A LOWER LEVEL PARTY THEN GRIND AND BEAT THEM AGAIN (and again if you grind against the E4 - I know I am :D) -- IT WOULD BE RIDICULOUS TO ASK YOU TO GRIND TO LEVEL 70 - 80 RIGHT BEFORE THE E4 (but if you're crazy enough..?)

-HACKING IS ALLOWED ONLY FOR
a) the pokemon you can't easily get in your game (be fair; don't be like, "but pidgeys are haaaaard to get!")
b) the final party -- but here, the pokemon cannot be hacked in over level 30. ever.
c) and event pokemon if you wanna do it all the way.

-you MUST beat the game with the following party (if you accidentally over-level, I won't kill you lol)

Spr_2c_025.gif

PIKACHU - lv 81

Spr_2c_196.gif

ESPEON - lv 73

Spr_2c_143.gif

SNORLAX - lv 75

Spr_2c_003.gif

VENUSAUR - lv 77

Spr_2c_006.gif

CHARIZARD - lv 77

Spr_2c_009.gif

BLASTOISE - lv 77

alternatively for espeon (for gen 1-ers)

Spr_2c_131.gif

LAPRAS - lv (80's way too high --) 73

challengers --

R/B/Y -
the : D*, 560cool.

G/S/C -

R/S/E -

FR/LG -

D/P/Pt -

HG/SS -

* is when the challenger did/is doing the pokedex part, too.
bold is a completed challenge.

CHAMPIONS -
Porygon Z* (HG)

Last edited:

<- heracross ftw!
Years
  • Seen Jan 7, 2012
I am sort of disappoint but still I will update.

-beat E4.

-entered cerulean cave with every intention of catching pokemon that I've yet to.

-meanwhile, will grind to necessary levels + move sets.

Pikachu lvl88

Experienced Trainer
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2012
"-YOU MUST ACTUALLY CATCH 'EM ALL." -Event only too? (if yes, I would need to cheat :D)

560cool.

An old timer?
Years
the :D said:
I am sort of disappoint but still I will update.

Okay, my post will proceed. Remember, I am not trying to be mean, I am just telling you why this challenge is so unpopular.

-YOU MUST ACTUALLY CATCH 'EM ALL. fill your pokedex!
Um... this. It takes a lot of time and effort, and I am sure very little people are actually willing to do this. In my opinion, I think this should be removed.

PIKACHU - lv 81
-charm
-quick attack
-thunderbolt
-thunder

ESPEON - lv 73
-psychic
-reflect
-swift
-mud-slap

SNORLAX - lv 75
-amnesia
-snore
-rest
-body slam

VENUSAUR - lv 77
-giga drain
-sunny day
-solarbeam
-synthesis

CHARIZARD - lv 77
-flamethrower
-wing attack
-fire spin
-slash

BLASTOISE - lv 77
-rain dance
-surf
-whirlpool
-blizzard
alternatively for espeon (for gen 1-ers)

(there's no brine in GEN I or GEN III, so, only if you're doing this with HGSS, you can go ahead and use brine)

LAPRAS - lv (80's way too high --) 73
-blizzard
-psychic
-body slam
-brine

You're giving us zero flexibility on this. I know that you're supposed to have the same team as Red, but most people prefer flexibility during a challenge and being able to pick from multiple Pokemon, not just a limited amount. Set levels are also annoying.

So yeah, I've seen this lying around yesterday but I was too lazy to actually reply. I'm sorry if this is offensive or anything, I just tried to clear some things up for you.

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
I agree with 560. The idea of using Red's team is good, but the idea behind challenges is make the games fun when just playing them isn't enough.

Also, what does playing with Red's team have do with filling up the Pokedex? That makes no sense, and if I wanted to do that, I would do the Pokedex challenge.

I think it's a lot more user friendly and interesting to read about other people doing a challenges when they do stuff different from you. No one really wants to read about the same team with the same movset over and over again.

Just a thought. Good idea, not so good execution.

Years
  • Seen May 17, 2016
Just to throw in my two cents, I agree with everything that's been said, but I'd add that this is just a blend of two already-existing challenges - the "Catch'Em All" and the Anime Challenges...

<- heracross ftw!
Years
  • Seen Jan 7, 2012
Okay, my post will proceed. Remember, I am not trying to be mean, I am just telling you why this challenge is so unpopular.

Um... this. It takes a lot of time and effort, and I am sure very little people are actually willing to do this. In my opinion, I think this should be removed.

You're giving us zero flexibility on this. I know that you're supposed to have the same team as Red, but most people prefer flexibility during a challenge and being able to pick from multiple Pokemon, not just a limited amount. Set levels are also annoying.

So yeah, I've seen this lying around yesterday but I was too lazy to actually reply. I'm sorry if this is offensive or anything, I just tried to clear some things up for you.

wow, thank you so much, seriously, I will edit all that stuff out.

EDITED, SO IF PEOPLE WANNA DO THE CHALLENGE (I'm still doing it in Yellow) GO AHEAD AND I'LL ADD YOU TO THE CHALLENGE

so, amidoinitrite?

Last edited:

560cool.

An old timer?
Years
Okay, now I'm in. xD
Add me in for Yellow, it's the easiest game to do this on.
Remember, I won't be making the Pokedex rule, just a run with Red's Pokemon.
And of course I'll go for Lapras ; Espeon is impossible to get.

<- heracross ftw!
Years
  • Seen Jan 7, 2012
* UPDATE *

so here it is. I'm going to be as thorough as possible:

GAME TIME --
37:03

POKEDEX RATING --
133 seen
63 caught
OAK's rating - "Oh! This is getting even better!"

CURRENT PARTY --

Spr_3e_143.gif

SNORLAX -- level 41
body slam
earthquake
amnesia
rest

Spr_3e_006.gif

CHARIZARD -- level 43
fly
dig
cut
ember

Spr_3e_003.gif

VENUSAUR -- level 42
razor leaf
tackle
leech seed
vine whip

Spr_3e_009.gif

BLASTOISE -- level 43
ice beam
water gun
submission
bite

Spr_3e_025.gif

PIKACHU -- level 43
thunderbolt
thundershock
skull bash
double team

Spr_3e_147.gif

DRATINI (in training) -- level 19
thunder wave
wrap
leer
--

I am now in MT. MOON trying to find myself a CLEFAIRY, and meanwhile, catch all the GEODUDEs and ZUBATs I neglected to earlier. earlier, I explored the ditto glitch and nearly caught a MAGMAR (who doesn't appear otherwise in my game) but it failed because my in-training DRATINI accidentally'd him in 2 hits. it took so much effort, however, I won't try it again. meh.

Last edited:

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Can I do the HG/SS counterpart for this challenge?

Well, the Pokemon are the same either way (Lapras or Espeon is acceptable), but why would you want to have to raise them even higher? Seems like overkill to me - I assume you mean to raise them to the higher levels.

<- heracross ftw!
Years
  • Seen Jan 7, 2012
@ Porygon-Z, I don't really see why you would want to do it with the level 80s instead of 70s, but if you want you can but I'm not requiring it. so, should I put you down for HG/SS and are you going to try to fill the dex, too?

*UPDATE*
- now have 78 in dex; now in seafoam islands trying to get that blasted articuno.

Porygon Z

721 and counting!
Years
@ Porygon-Z, I don't really see why you would want to do it with the level 80s instead of 70s, but if you want you can but I'm not requiring it. so, should I put you down for HG/SS and are you going to try to fill the dex, too?

*UPDATE*
- now have 78 in dex; now in seafoam islands trying to get that blasted articuno.

Yes, I LOVE challenges!

Name: Porygon Z (Red in Game)
Game: Heart Gold (ROM)

So my final team will be:

025.png
~ Lv. 88
003.png
~ Lv. 84
006.png
~ Lv. 84
009.png
~ Lv. 84
143.png
~ Lv. 82
131.png
~ Lv. 80

A question...

Can I train Espeon to Lv. 80 instead of Lapras? Just to have different team types.

EDIT: Already started, in every case I'll get Eevee/Lapras later.
Right now, I just got Totodile as started, did all the inital stuff, got the 1st Badge, and now I'm in Route 32, going on Azalea.

EDIT 2: Got my 6th badge, captured Lapras, and now taking on TR in Mahogany Town.

025.png
~ Lv. 34 ~ Thunderbolt, Volt Tackle*, Iron Tail, Quick Attack
003.png
~ Lv. 34 ~ Double-edge, Poisonpowder, Sleep Powder, Petal Dance
006.png
~ Lv. 36 ~ Fly, Fire Blast, Slash, Dragon Rage
009.png
~ Lv. 36 ~ Surf, Protect, Aqua Tail, Rock Tomb
143.png
~ Lv. 35 ~ Belly Drum, Rest, Body Slam, Shadow Ball
196.png
~ Lv. 36 ~ Bite, Dig, Psybeam, Return

131.png
~ Lv. 27 ~ Confuse Ray, Ice Shard, Water Pulse, Body Slam (Actually stored)

130.png
~ Lv. 30 ~ Bite, Strength, Rock Smash, Twister (HM Slave)

* with Pokèsav

Last edited:

<- heracross ftw!
Years
  • Seen Jan 7, 2012
sorry, haven't added you yet because my internet died pretty hardxcore, and now I'm back! :D

of course you can use espeon! lapras was included in the original post because in GEN I you can't get espeon!

okay, you're in for HG, and just interested: a) how did you get so far, so fast?, and b) do you want to do the national pokedex, the original 150, or just johto?

*update*
- the 'dex challenge is much harder than I thought it'd be, especially since I can't hack, even if I wanted to, since I'm doing this not in a ROM, and I don't have a hacking machine. I'm at 82 right now...
- grinding in GEN I is officially the MOST ANNOYING AND UNREWARDING THING IN THE WORLD. GRRRR.. I'm still at level 40s for my final team. blast.

despite all this, I will continue as I have before. :D

Last edited:

Porygon Z

721 and counting!
Years
sorry, haven't added you yet because my internet died pretty hardxcore, and now I'm back! :D

of course you can use espeon! lapras was included in the original post because in GEN I you can't get espeon!

okay, you're in for HG, and just interested: a) how did you get so far, so fast?, and b) do you want to do the national pokedex, the original 150, or just johto?

*update*
- the 'dex challenge is much harder than I thought it'd be, especially since I can't hack, even if I wanted to, since I'm doing this not in a ROM, and I don't have a hacking machine. I'm at 82 right now...
- grinding in GEN I is officially the MOST ANNOYING AND UNREWARDING THING IN THE WORLD. GRRRR.. I'm still at level 40s for my final team. blast.

despite all this, I will continue as I have before. :D

I must complete one of these Pokèdex? Now in Johto Pokèdex (256 dudes) I've catched 65 Pokèmon so far. Well, if I must, I'll complete the 1st Gen part.

Anyways, time for an update.

Now I'm grinding for the Pokèmon League.

EDIT: Pokèmon League well defeated, now I'm in Kanto, getting the last dudes to fill 1st Pokèdex part (124 so far).
After that, think I'll rematch all Gym Leaders and Elite 4, then grind to the right level and finally fight Red.

FINISHED THE CHALLENGE!
Actually, it was very fun defeating Red with nearly his same team, items and movesets!

025.png
~ Lv. 88 ~ Thunderbolt, Volt Tackle*, Iron Tail, Quick Attack
003.png
~ Lv. 84 ~ Sleep Powder, Giga Drain, Sludge Bomb, Frenzy Plant
006.png
~ Lv. 84 ~ Flare Blitz, Blast Burn, Air Slash, Dragon Pulse
009.png
~ Lv. 84 ~ Hydro Cannon, Flash Cannon, Focus Blast, Blizzard
143.png
~ Lv. 82 ~ Blizzard, Shadow Ball, Giga Impact, Crunch
196.png
~ Lv. 80 ~ Morning Sun, Dig, Psychic, Shadow Ball

* with Pokèsav

Last edited:

<- heracross ftw!
Years
  • Seen Jan 7, 2012
um, sorry, I was away

but WOW dude, that's impressive. how did you manage to grind so hard to 80? E4 70,000 times? good job.

Back