• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Converting HGSS trainer sprites/charsets for RMXP

Years
While looking around for DPPt, HGSS, and BW Overworld sprites for RMXP. I could not find any. Currently I am resizing the HGSS sprites to RMXP standards. I want to know If I am doing it correctly.
My goal is to upsize sprites in a good quality and release them for the public.
This is the method I am using right now:

1. Resize all the sprites
  2. Make them look better
Am I on the right track?
I want to know how I am doing on the resizes.

I am also interested if any body else would like to help on the project.
Also all advice would be appreciated. Thank You.

Credit:
Dragoon
RedBlueYellow

Years
  • Seen Oct 18, 2017
I am interested in this! There are RMXP character sheets out there with gridlines f that helps with overworlds. Can't wait to see Gen 5 graphics in RMXP form!

Years
@the end
That helped me resize my sprites faster thank you :)
but they were still coming out at the same quality.
I'm going to have to paint over them like my initial thought.

@Joeyhugg I would like my files to look gen V. I think I'm better off biting the bullet, and creating the sprites myself
e______________________e
Some body has to do it.
I would love to learn how to make my game like Pheonix Rising.
Until then I'm looking at tilesets, and trying to figure out how to piece everything together.

I hope for the best, and understanding (of how all of RMXP works (graphically)).

Years
  • Seen Oct 18, 2017
Yeah. It's just a template for character sprites. You can search, I know there are ones for Ace.

Sam24

Sam24
Years
These sprites are good but I have to say something about your battle sprites. When you try to re-size the trainer sprites the pixles on the sprites can mess up. Some lines become bigger and other's become smaller. This type of thing can ruin trainer sprites.
Now what I do is that I shorten the legs, arms and body until I get the right size.

Tell me what you think of the idea. I hope it will help you. :)

the__end

Pixel Artist
Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2016
@the end
That helped me resize my sprites faster thank you :)
but they were still coming out at the same quality.
I'm going to have to paint over them like my initial thought.

Then you are doing something wrong. It is perfectly possible to resize Gen4 and Gen5 graphics to fit in Essentials without correcting anything. Maybe i should describe you how.

1. Edit sprite sheet from spriters resources or whatever
  2. Double the size using the "next neighbor" setting
  3. Remove background color
  4. Cut the sprite you want to out
  5. Create a new data with the size 160x160
  6. Add the sprite you cut out there
  7. Align it to the center
  8. Add it to Essentials or replace existing Trainer sprite
It is really not that hard. Overworlds are even easier. I guess your problem was that you wanted to make them 128x128 right? You don't need to. Same goes for the overworlds. You don't need to fit them into the size from existing overworlds of Gen3.

Examples:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
@The End. Thank you for providing me with that new method. I know what I did wrong now. I was taking a sprite from my old method and resized it to 160x160. (Instead of starting off with a new file.)
In attachments I'll have it.
For the OW sprites some characters "bleed" over to the other boxes. When I increased the size of the box.

I've spent the hour trying to rescaled the OW sprites properly. What I'm thinking of doing next is increasing the sprite size and posting perhaps the original sized sprite. (Problem before: OW were too small, Problem now: OW too big. Hmm. I will figure this out.)

I'm only trying to find the right height for the OW sprites without making them the size of trees.
Well more experiments to find the right formula. Everything else has been working great. Thank you. You have exponentially lowered my work time.

Anyhoot thanks once more :)

(I had more written but I think I waited to long to post it, and I was signed out.)

the__end

Pixel Artist
Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2016
For the OW sprites some characters "bleed" over to the other boxes. When I increased the size of the box.

I've spent the hour trying to rescaled the OW sprites properly. What I'm thinking of doing next is increasing the sprite size and posting perhaps the original sized sprite. (Problem before: OW were too small, Problem now: OW too big. Hmm. I will figure this out.)

I'm only trying to find the right height for the OW sprites without making them the size of trees.
Well more experiments to find the right formula. Everything else has been working great. Thank you. You have exponentially lowered my work time.

Why do you squeeze the OW like that? You can have space between them you know.
A 4th Gen OW can look like this:
Spoiler:

Back