• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen How many Pokemon will there be speculation thread

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Okay so in the General chat thread we were having a discussion on how many Pokémon we think will be introduced this generation. I'll like to continue this discussion

Well enough beating around the bush, how many Pokémon do you think we'll get, and/or how many do you want to see.

How many of these do you think will be legendary Pokémon?

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
It is hard to predict this. I was actually trying to do it myself. If they add 101 pokemon that will make the total 750. So my original guess was 101 or 102.

I don't know why, but I think this Generation is going to mirror Hoenn. I have nothing to back this up, that is just what I am thinking. It could also mirror Johto giving the idea that they will follow the Kanto/Johto flow before Hoenn.

Since the region is so large, or at least people say, it could have a big number like another 150 or 151. If they choose 151, this would bring the total to 800. With this also being another "fresh start" with the routes resetting to 1 once more. It is possible that this may be the case.

I do not see us going lower than 100 though, for the fact no generation has added less. This is the numbers we had in each gen.
Kanto: 151 (5 Legends)
Johto: 100 (6 Legends)
Hoenn: 135 (10 Legends)
Sinnoh: 107 (14 Legends, counting Phione and Manaphy)
Unova: 156 ( 13 Legends, counting Victini.)
Random Guess; Kalos: 151 to 154 (10 to 12 Legends, 2 to 3 Event Legends.)

Last edited:

Austin1395

Dark-type Trainer
Years
Considering Kalos is so big, big enough to have its Pokedex split into three, I'm thinking that we're getting a lot of new Pokemon. Especially, we're getting our first new type in over a decade. Honestly, I'm thinking between 150-250. I'm really hoping for a lot of new Pokemon. As per legendaries, we already have Yveltal and Xerneas, so I'm expecting there to be a "Z" legendary too. Then there is usually a trio and a small, cutesy type as well, and often a "solo" legendary. So if I had to guess, I'd say 8, maybe more since it's so big. So, around 8-12.

And, if going on the rumor that this generation will have a sort of Dark type, Fairy type "rivalry" I'd guess we will get a lot of both too.

Years
I'd give it a range. 100-132, or 116 as my median will serve as my guess.
I hope it's more like 128 so we end up with 777 total pokemon. They could make a gambling pokemon :p

Still wondering what they will do for pokemon number 666. I hope we get something as hellion as Houndoom.

There is no way we will get as many as we did in Gen I and V, but it seems like it will be slightly more than we had in Johto, and slightly less than we had in Hoenn.

@ Austin, don't forget, they will feature many pokemon from past generations, so they may not need another 150+ pokemon to fill up three dexes.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
You got to remember that the B/W2 Dex had 300 pokemon total and they were using old pokemon then as well. I don't think they will lower it. Maybe just by a few 10s. (But the first version of a new generation usually do have less pokemon)

Last edited:

Austin1395

Dark-type Trainer
Years
Although I do see both of your points, I feel like GF is going to make the amount of new Pokemon larger considering, we've got a new type, it is our first full 3D main series game, the region is so large, they seem to be keeping a trend with all this new typing, and considering what a lot of Pokemon we've seen so far are based off of. Maybe it's just me but, I'm expecting a lot of new ones, and a return from a lot of old ones.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 9, 2024
I think 101 or 102 as we are on the second cykle's gen II. The last generation added a LOT of Pokémon and it seems like a lot of Pokémon from earlier generations will be in the dex; so we won't need so many more pokemon in this gen to fill up the dex.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Atleast 100 new Pokemon with a possible range of 7 to 15 Legendary Pokemon. We'v got over 20 right now and counting possible evolutions our number jumps to about 7 min more related to those we know about. Base count puts us near 40 so far so we are at the halfway mark so far even though we have not seen a small portion of these.

JP

wut?
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 13, 2019
I'm not too sure we'll get nearly as many as Gen 5, but I can imagine a big number. I do think we'll get well over a 100 new ones, maybe 120-140. Perhaps just wishful thinking though.

blue

gucci
Years
Kanto 151 (151)
Johto 252 (101)
Hoenn 386 (134)
Sinnoh 493 (107)
Unova 649 (156)
Kalos 755 (106) (Although I have a feeling it could be something like 732 only introducing 83 maybe.

Years
Considering Kalos is so big, big enough to have its Pokedex split into three, I'm thinking that we're getting a lot of new Pokemon. Especially, we're getting our first new type in over a decade. Honestly, I'm thinking between 150-250. I'm really hoping for a lot of new Pokemon. As per legendaries, we already have Yveltal and Xerneas, so I'm expecting there to be a "Z" legendary too. Then there is usually a trio and a small, cutesy type as well, and often a "solo" legendary. So if I had to guess, I'd say 8, maybe more since it's so big. So, around 8-12.

And, if going on the rumor that this generation will have a sort of Dark type, Fairy type "rivalry" I'd guess we will get a lot of both too.

We got 2 new types in Johto yet they introduced the least amount of Pokemon in any generation. But this generation does seem to be introducing a lot of Fairies, so I wouldn't be surprised. I totally forgot about the split Pokedex, then again judging from the trailers and such, there's a lot of Pokemon returning from past generations which probably contributed to this. Though, I really hope that's why they did it!
My guess is they'll be 11 Legendaries, I hope we don't see too many this time round, its sort of become a gimmick of late. :/

I'd love to see 150 new Pokemon, but I don't think we'll see any higher than that.

I know the new Mewtwo is a form, but is it going to take up a spot in the Pokedex? Or will it just be combined with Mewtwo?

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I know the new Mewtwo is a form, but is it going to take up a spot in the Pokedex? Or will it just be combined with Mewtwo?

I doubt it. It will probably just be combined with Mewtwo. A new form has never taken a spot.

Here is a more detailed guess about how many pokemon will be in this. If I stick with my last guess of 151, let's bring it down to 141. And say I do follow the speculation and say that it will be based around Fairy and Dark pokemon. This is my new guess.

26 New Fairy Pokemon.
13 New Dark Pokemon.
76 Other New Pokemon (I can see a good amount of Ice types by looking at the map with the snow, not more than 10 though.)
15 Baby/Evos of older pokemon.
11 Legendaries. (Trio, X,Y,Z, 2 Event, 3 others.)

That is probably too many Fairies, but as I said just a guess, or wishful thinking. I am mainly going with Fairies playing a pretty large part in French Mythology and the speculations of Fairy vs Dark (Light/Life vs Dark/Death)

Last edited:

Austin1395

Dark-type Trainer
Years
True a lot of old Pokemon are going to be back and that will play a large part but, I'm still thinking that we're getting a lot of new ones. Icemans guess sounds pretty good to me actually.

BraveNewWorld

The Breaker
Years
We got 2 new types in Johto yet they introduced the least amount of Pokemon in any generation. But this generation does seem to be introducing a lot of Fairies, so I wouldn't be surprised. I totally forgot about the split Pokedex, then again judging from the trailers and such, there's a lot of Pokemon returning from past generations which probably contributed to this. Though, I really hope that's why they did it!
My guess is they'll be 11 Legendaries, I hope we don't see too many this time round, its sort of become a gimmick of late. :/

I'd love to see 150 new Pokemon, but I don't think we'll see any higher than that.

Gen 2 was hampered by hardware and cartridge limitations. It was also supposed to be the last generation. I don't think you can use that as a precedent.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Lol one would think that Johto would have many considering it was suppose the end aka they should've gone all out in making new ones, of course the limitations of the technology at the time likely prevented them from making more.

Anyways on topic I think we'll see somewhere around Sinnoh's numbers, the Odd gens have thus far introduced the most Pokémon compared to the Even gens though I guess that's not a very solid pattern. Either way I don't expect it to get all that close to Unova's massive numbers even with a new type (which btw this generation has reclassified more than Gen 2's two types did...which only had two those being Magneton and Magnemite which belong to the same line, and no dark types. So likely reclassification will help Fairy catch up in terms of numbers to the other types.).

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
Years
I hope lots and lots, just like 5th gen gave us! Perhaps 120-150. I'm liking the designs so far, and I LOVE the Fairy Type, so I at least hope to see plenty of those.

François2

#FutureSun&MoonMod
Years
I'm thinking it'll be a somewhat smaller number than most expect, probably in the ~115 region, but I could be wrong. Big region or not I'd like to think GF will be a bit squeamish about adding in all that many per gen with the amount we already have, so I think we'll be seeing something of a slow down in the following generations.

Years
  • Seen Jan 13, 2014
I can see about an average of 100-150 with there being about 10-13 legendaries since Yvetal, Xernas, The Trio, Z? and etc.

Back