• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen A water theme, perhaps?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
So since this was brought up in news discussion earlier, and that I was only just reminded of it, I figured why not bring up the discussion again!

Look closely at the protagonists clothing - looks like a wetsuit under the clothing of the male, and bathers under the female. An underwater location, a water gym leader, and the fact that Abyssal Ruins are likely to have a part in the games, etc.

Why do you guys think this water theme is going on? Do you think there's more to it than this?

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
Years
I'm hoping our characters outfits mean that they'll swim and dive for themselves, but maybe that's pushing it?

I think it's quite likely we'll see a more watery Unova, considering in B/W there weren't really any main bodies of water to be had. Also, if we're updating the the Unova 'dex we might need more watery areas to accommodate for that. So any new water species can be spread out.

Magnificence

That's me in the corner
Years
Well, I personally feel that BW1 didn't utilise Dive as much as it could of. I doubt that the characters will be able to swim/dive on their own accord (without Pokemon) as removing the purpose of 2 HM's is pretty drastic.

I think the whole addition of water themed character designs is just to show the novelty of the new regional area (port, underwater tunnel, possible water gym early in the game). Much like how the Sinnoh protagonists were redesigned in Platinum to suit the snowy graphical changes.

But yeah, for me it's a welcomed change and even if the characters can't swim on their own merits it still makes sense for them to be surfing on Pokemon in the proper attire.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 13, 2013
Those swimsuits are indicating that new protagonists live in area divided from mainland by water. I think they have nothing to do with swimming or diving without Pokemon. Perhaps protagonists' design will be changed to full swimsuit while surfing or diving.

And I think that the whole addition of water theme is hinting to R/S remakes but it's not discussion for this thread.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
Watching Chuggaconroy's lets Play of Emerald. The last 20% is all water routes with water pokemon and water type trainers, and then the final boss is all water pokemon. And the Final gym just before the final boss is all water pokemon too -- come on!

A water/surfer dude theme would be cool, as long as they avoid an over-saturation of water pokemon.

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Well, I personally feel that BW1 didn't utilise Dive as much as it could of. I doubt that the characters will be able to swim/dive on their own accord (without Pokemon) as removing the purpose of 2 HM's is pretty drastic.

What if they could only swim in certain water? Like the sea would be dangerous because of riptides and such so they would only be able to Surf on those, but in places like underneath Village Bridge they can swim?

Diving would be weird anyway because normal people can't dive on their own lol.

blue

gucci
Years
Perhaps or it could just be a new addition as one a new character and two something to shake and change things up in these games, after all there are two new gyms Poison & Water so that could mean the poison type has some involvement too or it could just simply be the two new gyms with no major plot.

Nepse

Dragonite<3
Years
Well, I have long been hoping for deletion of HMs, so say; a Pokémon able to learn Cut can perform it outside of battle without actually knowing the move. It would make things easier, in my opinion. The HMs can be replaced by TMs teaching the same moves. Maybe the PCs can swim like swimmers.

Years
I definitely can see how they're wearing wetsuits. Most guys don't wear leggins after all. They have the sporty kind of look of characters who swim a lot/spend time at the beach.

Turn-it

Coordinator/Elite Trainer
Years
  • Seen Dec 4, 2012
So since this was brought up in news discussion earlier, and that I was only just reminded of it, I figured why not bring up the discussion again!

Look closely at the protagonists clothing - looks like a wetsuit under the clothing of the male, and bathers under the female. An underwater location, a water gym leader, and the fact that Abyssal Ruins are likely to have a part in the games, etc.

Why do you guys think this water theme is going on? Do you think there's more to it than this?

It kind of makes sense with the frozen theme with it. Ice and water correspond with each other in a sense.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Watch you don't even have to use Surf like in Black and White except to traverse a minor route that doesn't play any part of the main story. XD

First (three) cities are Starting town where your character is born, Second generic city with nothing in it, and then the third which is a small port town (where I'm guessing either the Poison or Water Gym is seeing as Poison only has 2 and that means she's either first or second).

Yes I'm basing this off the big world map. You can see three cities before you have to take the underwater tunnel to Castella. The Underwater Bridge just replaced Skyarrow and is visually appealing most likely.

Other than from the (Third) city to Castella, there isn't a mandatory body of water to cross.

And I still think those are sweat pants. May's clothes were pretty tight and leather looking too, though it was a different material I believe. The artists are really horrible at not making their clothes look another way unless they can make it visibly bulky.

(Odd note. Swimmer still wear next to nothing in Platinum despite the frigid climate and the Ace Traner suits are very form fitting as well.)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Well perhaps you could surf to places like Liberty Garden etc, once you pass Castelia? I'd really love it if that was like, something that could really happen in the games since I wanted that in B/W and I want that now. ;; WHY ELSE HINT?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
And I still think those are sweat pants. May's clothes were pretty tight and leather looking too, though it was a different material I believe. The artists are really horrible at not making their clothes look another way unless they can make it visibly bulky.

(Odd note. Swimmer still wear next to nothing in Platinum despite the frigid climate and the Ace Traner suits are very form fitting as well.)

Wait you mean the guy's pants? Those are not sweatpants by any stretch of the imagination lol.

Spoiler:

May was wearing spandex bike shorts. Seems pretty obvious to me. Sweat pants are not meant to be as tight as those guy's pants are, lol. The only other alternative is that he's wearing some form of Under Armour.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Maybe they show Plasma's boat again in Liberty Garden and you sneak in ;).
Either way, I have to agree with Xander, that could simply be a sport shirt underneath his coat rather than a a swimsuit...why doesn't the girl have one?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
They are also similar to the Black under clothes of the Pokemon Rangers.

although its not as connected Solana's clothes are pretty close.

Ranger_Solana.png

Kate's are like May's shorts. Usagi also makes me think of a ballerina. Like she's half dressed for practice.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
The tube is most likely a bridge...maybe we will get to explore Unova's sewers...nah that tube looks more Aquarium than something that leads to a sewer...

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Isn't there a real life underwater high way in Europe? It could be based off of that. I mean the current president added Skyarrow and all the trucks just cause he likes trucks.

Years
  • Seen Jan 13, 2013
It's underwater tunnel, kinda like the Channel Tunnel in Europe. I think later in game, after obtaining dive, player will be able to swim around that tunnel.

Back