• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The weather wars

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
As you know, weather plays a large role in the current metagame, etc, being rain, sand, sun and hail.

Which form of weather ultimately is the "best" (and why?) Which do you side with? Which do you think is easiest to be abused and morphed into different playstyles? Which is the most underrated? Add/discuss other questions and so on!

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
I feel like sand is a very solid weather, it's balanced imo and reliable. I also like it the most probably together with rain which is very versatile and has a lot of different ways to be played. The easiest to be abused is sun probably and offensive sun is one of the strongest I think, but it isn't very easy to play because it can be pretty frail. Hail is the underrated weather here, but that contributes to its strength - not many people use it and therefore there aren't many counters. But there aren't a lot of Pokémon who can be put to good use in hail either so it balances out I guess.

Years
Sand took a big hit with the loss of Garchomp and Excadrill so I think Rain is currently the best as it can be abused in many ways by using moves like Thunder and Hurricane without risk to boosting and weakening water and fire respectively, to abusing abilities like hydration etc. In fact rain + swift swim is so good that it's currently illegal to use together, which further emphasises the power of the rain. I myself prefer Sand Storm as it suits my aggressive nature by weakening lots of Pokemon between turns. Tyranitar also happens to be the most dominating weather inducer too. I think sand is the most splash-able weather but that's only because I currently use the sand on a team which barely benefits from it, and it seems to do OK.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
I think Rain is the best, since Politoad gets an advantage over Tyranitar and Ninetales. Since Ninetales can't do much to Politoad other than energy ball or toxic, and Tyranitar will just get scalded and toxic'd by Politoad. I play Rain offense and defense, which both work quite well against any weather team. Of course, there are certain procedures that you can use to win a weather war, no matter what weather team you may have. In my own experience, I feel that they key of winning a weather war is with entry hazards. The more Entry hazards you have, the more careful a player has to play to bring in their weather starter, on account of they have limited opportunities to switch in. Eh, I think Hail is pretty underrated, since Abomasnow has a shaky typing weakness to stealth rock. Even so, hail could be useful for offense, imo.

XEL

Lorem Ipsum
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022
I hate weather. It's taken over the metagame can is just frustrating switching your permanent weather Poke in and out until your opponent's dies.. I am seriously considering only playing Clear Skies..

TheBowsinator

Pi Lieker
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jun 2, 2022
sand in my opinion is the best. Rain is a close second, followed by sun, then lolhail (not that it's bad, it's just lolhail)

Sand #1 because it can be used for so many things. If you have a stall team with only like 2 abusers, it can still be a good team, because of sand's recurring damage. If you want an offensive team, you can use things like landorus to destroy everything, and so on

Rain #2 very close, because it is similar to sand; Rain stall is by far one of the best strategies, though imo, rain HO is lacking. a mixed rain team does work pretty well though, as rain has a fair number of its own abusers (thunder, hurricane, Water moves, etc)

KH Fan Bixran

Pkmn Nobody
Years
Which form of weather ultimately is the "best" (and why?)
i'd have to say rain. SO MANY pokes this gen can abuse it, it aint even funny.
Which do you side with?
if u mean which weather, then rain. making a rain team is simple; keeping the rain up is another story though
Which do you think is easiest to be abused and morphed into different playstyles?
like i said above, RAIN.
Which is the most underrated?
i gotta agree with everyone when i say....RAIN(lol jk). i mean to say hail.

NothingPersonal

The vietnamese pokemon master.
Years
Which form of weather ultimately is the "best" (and why?)
None, each one has unique traits. Rain is most broken sh*t ever.

Which do you side with?
I find sand really fun to use, because offense is my favorite play style.

Which do you think is easiest to be abused and morphed into different playstyles?
Rain and Sun, because Venusaur is powerful after a growth, and VoltTurn in the rain is... just no. Sand is less powerful without Excadrill earthquaking everything in sight.

Most underrated weather?
193384_obamasnow.jpg

HAIL WILL DOMINATE ALL OF OU. NOTHING CAN OPPOSE BLIZZARD SPAMMING.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I feel that only the offensive forms of weather are good tbh, sure there's stall in rain and hail, but it's so formulaic that it's boring really. And for that reason, I've only played weather offensively (not that much but still). Right now I'm using an offensive rain team, and I've tried offensive sand too, whereas hail/sun only "tried" and didn't really use for more than a "try" literally, lol.

tbh I do think that teams with weather are a lot stronger than ones without them - if you're facing a team without weather, that is, since basically for the whole match as long as they don't have any Pokemon you're unprepared for, then you're good to go. But yeah weather versus weather is not fun. Based on what I've played, rain is the most common - and rain stall specifically is the most annoying (I haven't really seen volturning rain much, so...) I just think that rain has the biggest advantage overall because it has so many Pokemon that can really abuse it while all the other weathers generally have a lot less Pokemon of that type (with there being the most water-type Pokemon and all).

As a whole though, I don't mind weather, it's just certain Pokemon that commonly appear in said weather that annoy me.

@Aenar: HAIL DOESN'T SUCK OKAY NOW POST HERE. :3

Last edited:
Back