• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A Fresh Start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
...Preface......

Well, as some of you know, I said I was going to quite tile spriting. Well, I didn't. Instead, I just became inspired to make more. These new tiles are still going off of Kyledove's latest style, but my new tiles are gong to be a little... Different... If you have seen my deviantArt account, you would see what I'm talking about. For one, I m making trees a bit bigger. I've always felt that trees in the Pokémon games were too small.

But anyway, the reason why I decided to make a new thread instead of keeping my old one is I want real critique. Please, don't just say you like them or you don't. Provide reasons as to why, and tell me what I can do to improve. In this new showcase, I will only show my latest works. If you wish to see my older works, check the Links section below for a link to my old thread.

And yes, these new tiles are all free to use. My license still stands, so please read it if you do want to use them. That's really all I ask, as everything is stated in there. But just in case you don't read it, please credit me.

Also of note, anything with a bullet next to it is either incomplete and being worked on, or it is being revised to look better. Explanations are in parenthesis next to the descriptions.

...Sprites......

Other
Spoiler:

Maps
Spoiler:

Tilesets
Latest_Tileset_So_Far_by_TheDeadHeroAlistair.png

•Tileset 7 (Update some older stuff, add some new stuff)

...Links......

deviantArt Account
License
Old Thread

...Additional Credits......
Kyledove - Style and some tiles

Last edited:
Years
All of the tree bark looks kind of off, not sure why, but they just don't have the same flow as everything else.
The tall viney tree particularly seems out of place like it was taken from another tileset.

Last edited:
Years
I do like the large trees, but I wish they didn't have such a dark band for the lowest level of leaves. The rest of the leaves have more texture and there is a smoother transition between the lighter and darker shades of green. The trunks are pretty nice, though they seem a little to the left of center judging by where the tip of the tree is. The shadows also seem off, but to the right and up, as though the light source was to the left and bottom. The different palettes of your large trees and small trees is also a little off-putting.

And I think you have an error in your new map. The shadow cast by the red-roofed building (very sharp, by the way, with those outlines on the door and windows) is actually making some of the tiles around it lighter.

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
Years
Good, fresh starts are always nice.
Anyway I always thought houses were supposed to be bigger than trees... They're good nonetheless.

Years
  • Seen Aug 16, 2010
I love those big trees, they're something new you don't see often.
I also like the tall grass, but it looks like some farmer has put it there. It looks like this, because it has those regular lines in it.
The shadows your objects cast are a bit too light.

= GPR =

Birding Extraordinaire
Years
Another thing... the trees seem to run into eachother too much... instead of little openings between the trees, it looks like little plinths sticking out...

there is not much distiction between the trees... they just mush together too much...

Years
GPR, that's actually the mapping style. But, I suppose since I am altering the tile style, I can alter the mapping style, too. :)

Scarf, I am trying everything out as you said. I actually lessened the tile usage of the big tree by two by moving it up on the shadow a bit. I also added some detail on the lowest ring of the trees. I replaced the old palette with one based off of the second tree I made in the set. As for the tall, skinny tree, I am still trying to make it look better and better fit in with the set (it's not working, by the way). And as for the trunk, it's supposed to be off-center. I don't really like symmetrical trees. They're too... Unrealistic.

A small text update, I made a few new tiles. I made a new mountain (I suck at those, so when I post it, please help me with it), I made some more detail tiles (like a stump with an ax in it), and... that's it. I am planning to do more buildings, kind of like the one I recently made. I'm kind of on a steampunk rave, so...

Well, that's it for now. I would post my stuff, but my laptop battery died and I don't have my AC adapter with me.

Years
I agree with = GPR = after taking a second look at the trees. They just don't blend well (or even join well) together when mapped in that style. I still like them though, and the one with and without the vine look perfect for a Fortree City remake, maybe cause tall trees seem to suit that City (Off-topic: Hint hint Dew xD? Just a suggestion btw not trying to be rude or anything of that nature).

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
Spoiler:

I'm glad you didn't quit Alistair. I personally like the fact that the trees run together, it's more like a real forest. I don't like the big red building however, it looks lop-sided due to the you know, the building only goes out on one side.

Last edited:

sab

Now too much of a life.
Years
Nice to see another thread from you. The tiles are great and I really like the tree with vines. The leaves are unique idea as far as that goes. I don't really like the gears coming out of the house(mostly because I've never seen it). Great job!

Years
@GFA: Well, the redo building is of a new style I'm trying. It may look lopsided now, but after I make a few more buildings and a map, I think it will look a little better. I'll still probably make some different versions of it anyway.

@Sab: As I said before, it's a new style I'm trying. It's inspired by steampunk, so that means GEARS! Haha.

Anyway, I updated the tileset. It has some new smaller things, and of course the new building I have been working on. It took about two days to get it to look right, but please tell me where I can improve on it. The new tileset is in the first post (since I haven't made it to two pages yet). No map this time, though.

GFA

Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
The building on the left reminds me of a greenhouse, which is really cool. Steampunk is cool, so I hope you continue :)

Would you please change your signature?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
The big trees do look way too big... When I first saw them, I thought they were designed to be used with 32x32 tiles :\

Also, the house shadow looks weird. Where it overlays the air extractor on the map, the part in shadow is lighter than the part in light. Try making the shadow darker :P

Years
GFA - Signature changed. ;)

Wichu - Haha, I know they look weird. Everyone is so used to small, puny trees. I always thought the official trees looked weird because of their small size, so I decided to make them bigger. About the shadow, it's fixed now (as is the layering of that part of the map). It's now a dark gray instead of a slightly darker green.

Anyway, the updated map is posted above. I added some new areas to showcase the new tiles as well as one that going to be added to the set). For some reason, I am really motivated to work on this set, as well as to post every update (then again, that's just how I work, hehe).

GFA

Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
Love the expanded Map. Just saw the holes in the trees... Now what on Earth could that be for? Headbutting? :)

Years
Very nice job on the trees. The mountain tiles look smooth, but it's weird to see the same designs on them used in the water tiles. Maybe it's just because it's the same pattern, but I also imagine underwater areas looking more lush and not looking like barren rock.

sab

Now too much of a life.
Years
Great job alister. The shop leaves me dumbfounded. The only suggestion I have is that the crack in the underwater tile is a bit too dark. Dang, it's hard to post now that we have to criticize your work every post...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back