• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Anyone Else Do the In-game Trades?

pokemonranger109

Jirachi Know-It-All From Birth
Years
I know that in a few cities there are in-game traes such as, Clair's Dragon Town. (I haven't Played Soulsilver in about a year sorry, forgot name.) The trade is like your Dragonair for her Dodrio. I know some of the trades benifited the other person more then you, like this one. Did anyone else do these to fill the pokedex faster, or to just fill it.

I Did because I had no problem getting new pokemon because I switched my team pretty often.

Years
  • Age 30
  • UK
  • Seen Nov 15, 2013
I traded a Bellsprout for an Onix in Heartgold! Thought it was a no brainer, Bellsprout is just bad.

Jet Pilot

I killed Spiderman.
Years
I traded a Bellsprout for an Onix in Heartgold! Thought it was a no brainer, Bellsprout is just bad.

Sorry to break it to you but he's not bad. He's actually pretty good.

Only time I've benefited from an in game trade is while playing hacks. Never done any other trades.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Yep! I traded a Bellsprout for a Onix which I then used as one of my main team members. I eventually evolved it into Steelix and it's my team's current powerhouse! So you could say it was a great trade.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I've done approximately three trades in my HeartGold, and in SoulSilver, I did only one. HeartGold—the first trade was with a guy at the fifth floor of Goldenrod Department Store. He offered a Machop for my Drowzee, and I accepted. (: This Machop was Adamant, and it had the No Guard ability. That, if you ask me, is a great combination! Adamant powers-up its physical attack stat, which it specializes in. With No Guard, this Pokémon's got the chance to hit any move without worrying about its accuracy—DynamicPunch, Stone Edge, ThunderPunch, Ice Punch, you name it. Its nickname was "Muscle," though, which I didn't really like. On my second trade, I've swapped my Dugtrio with a Magneton. Magneton was holding a Metal Coat, which is a very rare item. Finally, during my third trade, I have exchanged my Pikachu with the Pikachu of Lt. Surge's. xD I've found his Pikachu to be quite special, as it was owned by a gym leader. Not only that, it also had a great nature: Timid! Pikachu is quite speedy, and Timid helps it become even faster.

In Pokémon SoulSilver, I've traded my Rattata for the Steelix of Jasmine. I would've given her some other Pokémon, but… y'know. I just didn't have anything good. Well, I did, but they were all a part of my team, and I wasn't ready to let any of them go yet. D: After getting a hold of this Pokémon, I've used it for only two - three online battles, I think, and put it into my PC box after that. To be honest, I felt a little sad for taking Steelix away from her. If she wanted it back, though, then I would have given it to her in a heartbeat!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Nope. None of the trades really appealed to me that much. As said before, they kinda benefited the other person more. I didn't have plans to complete the Pokedex either, so that purpose was sort of useless. If I had someone to trade with, I might of considered the Bellsprout/Onix one, but that's about it. :p

Years
I'm pretty sure I did all of the possible in-game trades for my HeartGold- not necessarily because I wanted to use the Pokemon or even to fill up my Pokedex, but because I wanted all of the extra IDs for the lottery corner in the Goldenrod Tower. And sure enough, HeartGold's the only game where I managed to match all 5 numbers in the lottery corner one day to get myself an extra Master Ball.

Years
  • Age 52
  • Seen Nov 9, 2013
I like the bonus xp you get with a traded pokemon so I trade as often as I can. In game or otherwise.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I did both Bellsprout/Onix and Drowzee/Machop...just to get through the two gyms. Because I couldn't get through both Falkner & Whitney with my Chikorita and my party altogether, it was difficult. D: At least those two were essential for filling up my pokedex.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
I only did the Drowzee for a Machop trade to beat Whitneys gym. I forgot about the other ones locations in the game, if I had remembered where these trades were I would of done them.

DarkPoke001

Newfound Love For Togekiss
Years
i participated a few in-game trades, the Drowzee for a machop, the Bellsprout for an Onix, i even swapped my pineco for Jasmine's Steelix! (what on earth was she thinking? o_o ) but i didn't swap my Dragonair for Dodrio because... come on, really?

Floette

Fairy Trainer
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Nov 14, 2013
I do all the ingame trades, regardless of what game it is. It's just nice knowing you've got a new pokémon that the game wanted you to have with just a little work.

pokemonranger109

Jirachi Know-It-All From Birth
Years
i participated a few in-game trades, the Drowzee for a machop, the Bellsprout for an Onix, i even swapped my pineco for Jasmine's Steelix! (what on earth was she thinking? o_o ) but i didn't swap my Dragonair for Dodrio because... come on, really?

I agree with you about the Dragonair for Dodrio, but I did it for 100 percent completion on my old HG before my dog ate it. I even had 434 Pokedex entries.

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2013
In HGSS no in-game trades appealed to me. I think total I have only done three or four, mostly when I was little and I just liked the little trade animation.

Checking the HGSS in-game trades on Serebii though, looks like some aren't bad deals. Particularly the ones from Jasmine and Lt. Surge.

Typhon

'sup
Years
Eh, I do sometimes end up trading to get some specific Pokémon! In HG/SS I done the Pineco for a Steelix (Wow 0_0) and the Bellsprout for an Onix. Weird, huh? I couldn't be bothered to catch Onix, and I didn't have the right materials to evolve it. So why not?

I didn't really do Drowzee for a Machop early-game, I ended up doing it after quite a while. :O Aaand I think there might be some more in D/P/Pt! But I didn't really see them, but I'm sure I did one. Can't remember, lmao :P

Back