• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Does anyone else want all banned and unaired episodes edited and released in english?

Does anyone else want all banned and unaired episodes edited and released in english?

• Yes

Votes: 47 83.9%
  • No

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Not sure

Votes: 3 5.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PokeAwesome94

Ace Pokémon Trainer
Years
  • Seen Mar 28, 2013
Does anyone else want all banned and unaired episodes edited and released in english? They could do like they did last time they had a heap of unaired episodes and made it into Pokémon Chronicles.

I understand if they wouldn't want to release an edited version of Electric Soldier Porygon, since that episode caused a lot of trouble and might not feel safe to view even if edited.

I don't really care about the recap episodes since there's nothing new there, just thought I'd add it to the list to make it complete.

Some of these episodes don't have an official english title, so their names vary depending on the website. I've used Serebii.net for all Japanese translations, except for episode 40, because I couldn't find it there. The translation for episode 40 is from Bulbapedia.

Most of the episodes descriptions are from Bulbapedia and some are from Wikipedia. Some information from Serebii.net are also tucked in here and there. Descriptions from both Serebii.net and Bulbapedia were used on the Pikachu shorts. The descriptions for Dawn's New Journey! and Pewter Gym - The Biggest Crisis Ever were posted by Serebii on Serebiiforums.com.

Here's a loooong list of all banned, unaired and delayed episodes with the reason for banning / description.
Don't qoute the entire list just the part you're reffering to, or else this will start to look messy!

Credit to Bulbapedia, Wikipedia and Serebii.net

Banned episodes:

Episode 18 - Beauty and the Beach

This episode was initially banned when the episodes were first dubbed for airing in the United States. During 2000, the episode was finally dubbed and aired twice before disappearing once again. It was banned because James wore an inflatable body suit to give him large breasts in order to win a beauty contest. It also appears to be retconned out of continuity with the English dub, although Brutella is seen in the following episode.

Episode 35 - The Legend of Dratini

This episode was banned due to the prevalent usage of handguns throughout the episode. The Safari Zone warden points a gun at Ash's head, and even shoots the gun at Team Rocket. This may or may not also be banned because of a scene where James and Meowth hold a police-style interrogation. In the scene, Meowth wears a mustache resembling that of Adolf Hitler.
The banning of this episode left a major plot hole and a continuity error in the English dub, as this was the episode where Ash captured all 30 of his Tauros. As this is the Safari Zone episode, it also makes the Safari Zone unseen in the English anime, though it is mentioned in the two episodes that took place before it.
Several cast members have revealed this episode was in fact purchased and dubbed into English by 4Kids, but the episode was held back by the censors and has never aired. This would explain why clips from the episode have been used in several music videos produced for the 4Kids dub, though it is uncertain 4Kids actually dubbed this episode as Eric Stuart confirmed they didn't dub it at all.

Episode 38 - Electric Soldier Porygon

Known as the "seizure episode," this episode has been banned worldwide after airing only once in Japan. One particular scene of this episode had a series of flashing lights, which caused a total of approximately 685 Japanese children, 375 girls and 310 boys to be sent to the hospital with symptoms of epilepsy. The show went on hiatus for months, delayed the episodes Holiday Hi-Jynx and Snow Way Out!, and cancelled the airing of the New Years Eve episode. The episode also forced the producers to go back through the previous episodes and dim the lighting on them so as not to cause an accident of this magnitude again.

According to the late Maddie Balustein, the then voice of Meowth in the 4Kids dub, this episode was in fact purchased and dubbed into English by 4Kids using a censored version of the scene with the flashing lights, but the episode was still banned worldwide and not allowed to be aired.

Episode 250 - The Ice Cave

This episode, much like episode 65 "Holiday Hi-Jynx", (though that episode was only removed from rotation in one country) was also banned because of the appearance of the controversial Pokémon Jynx. Some people believed Jynx was a racial stereotype of Africans because of its big pink lips and pure black skin, or that it looked like a blackface actress.Jynx was later re-edited and given purple skin instead in later episodes.
The episode was also banned because of the disease influenza going around (the symptoms were SARS-like). In this episode Team Rocket doused Ash and his friends with cold water inside an icy cave, causing Brock to come down with symptoms similar to influenza, though according to Carole Boston Weatherford, who critisized Jynx for being a racial stereotype, the SARS part is a myth, and the episode was skipped due to the controversial version of Jynx.

Episode 377 - Shaking Island Battle! Barboach VS Whiscash!!

This episode was scheduled to be broadcast on November 4, 2004. However, not long before, a devastating earthquake struck Japan. Believing it would have been insensitive to air an episode about earthquakes mere weeks after the disaster, it was postponed. However, it never got around to airing and was soon forgotten.

Unaired episodes & shorts:

Episode 40 - It's New Year's Eve! Pocket Monsters Encore

This episode was scheduled to be broadcast December 31, 1997, between Holiday Hi-Jynx and Snow Way Out! However, following the Electric Soldier Porygon incident, the schedule was re-organized and this episode was never actually aired. No trailer for this episode has ever been seen, nor is any further information known apart from its Japanese title.

Short - Slowking's Day

This is an anime short about 3 minutes long. The special is based on the life of the Slowking that was featured in the second Pokémon movie, The Power of One. Slowking's life on Shamouti Island is very simple and carefree. The special was never released outside of Japan, likely due to its short length. It was intended to be an extra for The Power of One.

Special episode - Dawn's New Journey!

After her journey with Ash, Dawn has decided to travel to a new region in order to continue her quest to be the best Pokémon Co-Ordinator, like her mother. However, when she has to decide the Pokémon to take with her, she starts to struggle. Going to Professor Rowan's for advice, she meets Cinco, a new trainer who is conflicted with what Pokémon to choose to start her journey...

Special episode - Pewter Gym - The Biggest Crisis Ever

Having returned home from his journey with Ash through the Sinnoh region to become a Pokémon Doctor, Brock soon finds that home isn't as relaxing as usual as the Pewter Gym is about to be hit by an official inspection. Brock has to put his plans aside to help sort the gym out for the inspection...

Delayed episodes:

Episode 682 & 683 - Team Rocket VS Team Plasma (Part 1 & 2)

These episodes were postponed because of Castelia City's destruction, featured as a main event of these episodes. They were supposed to be aired at the end of March, shortly after the 2011 earthquake and tsunami in Japan. There are plans to air them at some point in the future because of their importance in the anime's plot, but no specific 2012 dates have been cited, nor have been talked about since.

Team Rocket VS Team Plasma Promo (only footage ever released):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCe5PWdu3m8

Unaired recap episodes:

All of these episodes are summaries with a clips from that season and a narrator voice.

Episode 397 - Ash & May! Heated Battles in Hoenn!

Episode 516 - Ash & Dawn! Head For A New Adventure

Episode 588 - Mysterious Creatures: Pokémon!

Pikachu shorts:

Pikachu's Ghost Festival!

Not much is known of this short at all. It is being shown on the ANA flights on the Pokémon Jumbo Jet between the 1st and the 31st of August in 2005. While having a picnic, Pikachu & Co. find out about a nearby Ghost Festival. They go and investigate and find the festival full of Ghost Pokémon from Gastle to Gengar to Banette.

Pikachu's Exploration Club

This short first aired on ANA flights from August 1 to August 31, 2005. On their travels, while playing near a river. Pikachu & co. discover that the water has dried up and the river is no more. Pikachu & co. decide to investigate and try to restore the river. Will they be able to do it and go for their swim?

Pikachu's Great Ice Adventure

This short first aired on ANA domestic flights from August 1 to August 29, 2007, and was later released on DVD in Japan on April 25, 2008. While playing in the ocean near a tropical resort, Pikachu & Co. get in a scuffle with Team Rocket's Pokémon. This scuffle causes the Pokémon to wind up miles away in an Ice-covered Paradise. However, when they get there, they are seperated soon find that certain Pokémon in the area require their assistance. Will they be able to reunite with their friends and help these Pokémon out?

Pikachu's Sparkling Search

This short first aired in Japan on August 1-29, 2008, on even numbered ANA Nippon Flights. While playing in a forest, Pikachu & Piplup end up getting seperated from their trainers. Worried, they soon find the Spiky-eared Pichu who promises to help them get back to their trainers through the city. However, Meowth is nearby and has a nefarious scheme of his own. Will they get back?

Pikachu's Really Mysterious Adventure

This short aired from August 1, 2010 to August 29, 2010 on even numbered ANA Nippon Flights and was later released on DVD in Japan in July 2011. It had its TV premiere on October 20, 2011 in Japan. While playing in a city, Pikachu & co. encounter an Unown who pulls them into a parallel world. This world features a change in physics and has the Pokémon appearing in different sizes or disobeying laws of gravity. Pikachu & co, eager to get back, try to find the Unown in order to return home. Can they do it?
3D shorts:

Pokémon 3D Adventure: Find Mew!

PK14.png

This short aired in theaters from March 18th, 2005 until September 25th, 2005. Afterward, 23 theaters started playing it again on October 4th, 2005 with a new ending theme.

More info:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/PK14
http://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/movies/3d_search_myuu/search_myuu.html

Pokémon 4D: Pikachu's Ocean Adventure

PK16.png

This short only English screenings was at Jordan's Furniture MOM Theater in Avon, Massachusetts. If you own a 3D or 4D cinema you can order the short from SimEx-Iwerks Entertainment (which is a company specializing in 2D, 3D and 4D movies and equipment).

"Pikachu, Meowth, and all their friends are having a great time in the sun, but it just wouldn't be the world of Pokémon without a little adventure! So they're off to find the Wailord's Tear, an ancient treasure buried within a sunken pirate ship! And look who's joining them -- some Legendary Pokémon, and even the audience when they put on special 3D glasses that will immerse them in this new Pokémon adventure more than they've ever seen before!" - Big Movie Zone

More info:
http://www.bigmoviezone.com/filmsearch/movies/index.html?uniq=550
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/PK16
http://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/movies/3d_sea_adventure/pikachu_big_sea_adventure.html
http://www.simex-iwerks.com/Default.asp?id=4&l=1&mcat_pid=113

Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTagVQQKQ78

Clip:

http://www.simex-iwerks.com/Default.asp?id=4&l=1&mcat_pid=113 (click "WATCH ON OUR WEBSITE")
or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZNHXpHjJ8Q

Japanese commercials:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qQWgjDWSS8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDmp1PEGwro
Links for more information:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Banned_episodes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_episodes_removed_from_rotation
http://serebii.net/anime/banned.shtml
http://www.pokezam.com/anime/banned.php
http://psypokes.com/anime/censor.php

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pikachu_shorts

Are you a mod or a copyright holder and feel that some of the content that I linked here shouldn't be here? Read this.
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
I don't want the banned episodes edited and dubbed, you know how bad they were.

For the skipped episodes, dub them please cos I really wanted to see the Brock and Dawn specials and I was disappointed non-Japanese viewers did not get these episodes.

kuzronk

Banned
Years
No one in the target adduince will care about these episodes with really old pokemon and dubbing Electric Soldier Porygon would be plain stupid and it's banned worldwide

PokeAwesome94

Ace Pokémon Trainer
Years
  • Seen Mar 28, 2013
Originally Posted by TylerSymes
No one in the target adduince will care about these episodes with really old pokemon

Plan: Edit, dub and release the banned and skipped episodes as a collection of episodes named as Pokémon Chronicles 2 or Pokémon Untold Stories or something like that.

Result: every 10 year old Pokémon fan will jump on the bandwagon like the sheep they are. They don't care what part of the anime they watch as long as it's Pokémon. Do you think many people cared about the episodes that were missing before they turned it into Pokemon Chronicles? No, not until they put those episodes together to a special collection of episodes. When they started airing that people watched and enjoyed it. Soon they'll have enough banned and skipped episodes to do that again. Btw, the older the Pokémon, the better the generation and anime.

dubbing Electric Soldier Porygon would be plain stupid and it's banned worldwide

Duh. As I said before:
Originally Posted by PokeAwesome94
I understand if they wouldn't want to release an edited version of Electric Soldier Porygon, since that episode caused a lot of trouble and might not feel safe to view even if edited.
and
Originally Posted by PokeAwesome94
this episode has been banned worldwide after airing only once in Japan

Btw, according to the late Maddie Blaustein, the then voice of Meowth in the 4Kids dub, this episode was purchased and dubbed into English by 4Kids using a censored version of the scene with the flashing lights, but the episode was still banned worldwide and not allowed to be aired.

Source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokemon:_Banned_Episodes#Denn.C5.8D_Senshi_Porygon

kuzronk

Banned
Years
I used to always think Pokémon Chronicles was a spin-off (The cartoon network ad made me think so) that had nothing to do with the normal anime and i knew about all that for years and most 10 year olds would rather watch their pokemon from their games on tv like Oshawott

PokeAwesome94

Ace Pokémon Trainer
Years
  • Seen Mar 28, 2013
I used to always think Pokémon Chronicles was a spin-off (The cartoon network ad made me think so) that had nothing to do with the normal anime and i knew about all that for years and most 10 year olds would rather watch their pokemon from their games on tv like Oshawott
I think that if Cartoon Network would have a weekend marathon with edited english dub versions of all banned and skipped episodes a lot of people would watch it. Even those noobs who don't know anything about gen 1 & 2. They'll watch what's available.

Last edited:

Guest123_x1

I'm all for the idea of editing and releasing the banned and unaired episodes, accompanied by a disclaimer before the start of each said episode and explanation as to why it was banned or unaired (similar to Whoopi Goldberg's introduction on the Tom and Jerry Spotlight Collection Vol. 2 DVD set explaining to viewers about racial stereotypes such as Mammy Two-Shoes). When put on a DVD collection, the box will likely include a printed disclaimer on the back such as "(DVD set name) is intended for the adult collector and is not/may not be suitable for children."
However, as for the "seizures" episode, that'll never see the light of day. I believe the reason why it's banned worldwide is due to some kind of treaty (or even an United Nations or World Trade Organization order) at the behest of the Japanese government.

Last edited:

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
I wouldn't mind seeing the episodes in English (or in my case Spanish) - I seen a few episodes with English subtitles, but I find the subtitles too distracting.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
The only banned episodes I want to see dubbed are Legend of Dratini and Electric Soldier Porygon. 4Kids could've cut out the scene where Kaiser pointed the gun at Ash in the former or toned down the lights of Pikachu's Thunderbolt in the latter (and to top it all off, Porygon wasn't even responsible for the ban!).

Regarding the Team Plasma episodes, I would've liked to see them aired because they were Team Plasma's debut episodes. It would've also been interesting if Ash and co. ran into Team Plasma on several occasions after the episodes aired.

Mentalii

Back
Years
I don't mind, as long as you can find them with subtitles, I don't need to watch them dubbed. And anyway, I prefer the episodes with subtitles, the japanese voices are way better to my mind.

~Ryukaa

total nerd
Years
I'm personally fine the way they are, now. Although, the DP special episodes would be nice to have dubbed. Other than that, I'm alright with subs for the banned episodes.

kuzronk

Banned
Years
The only banned episodes I want to see dubbed are Legend of Dratini and Electric Soldier Porygon. 4Kids could've cut out the scene where Kaiser pointed the gun at Ash in the former or toned down the lights of Pikachu's Thunderbolt in the latter (and to top it all off, Porygon wasn't even responsible for the ban!).

Regarding the Team Plasma episodes, I would've liked to see them aired because they were Team Plasma's debut episodes. It would've also been interesting if Ash and co. ran into Team Plasma on several occasions after the episodes aired.

>Legend of Dratini
Guns get pointed a few times in that episode and they should have just edited the scenes and have a music video to fill in time

> Electric Soldier Porygon
They did but the Japan govement banned it worldwide

Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Jan 17, 2017
What was up with not showing the recap episodes? I've always loved watching recap episodes in shows like Yu-Gi-Oh! and Naruto.

Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 29, 2013
I absolutely want to see all banned/skipped episodes dubbed and aired in English. It will probably never happen though.

This, pretty much. I have watched the subbed version of The Legend of Dratini, but that's about it. Would love to see Electric Soldier Porygon especially, but that one in particular probably won't ever see the light of day again, especially not in English.

PokeAwesome94

Ace Pokémon Trainer
Years
  • Seen Mar 28, 2013

As I said in my first post:
It's rumored that Legend of Dratini has been dubbed by 4kids. Several cast members has said that it has been dubbed, but Eric Stuart (the previous voice of Brock and James) claims it hasn't been dubbed.
A censored version of Electric Soldier Porygon has been dubbed by 4kids.

4kids probably have those episodes hidden away in some studio or archive somewhere.

So if you feel like it you can go all Mission Impossible on 4kids, I wont stop you. (DO IT, DO IT, DO IT!) Just kidding. ;)

Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2012
I would like that.

Though even more so would I like them to take all seasons and sub them and release them in the West in DVD and Blu-Ray. It isn't fair that, for all I'm aware, you have the choice of watching dub, or being a pirate. I'd buy the heck out of some Pokemon seasons subbed and unedited. No doughnut riceballs, Japanese language and intro intact, just good old original Pokemon.

I want that. Especially considering that the original Japanese DVDs are insanely expensive.

PokeAwesome94

Ace Pokémon Trainer
Years
  • Seen Mar 28, 2013
Added the two Pokémon 3D shorts (about time, been lazy).

I think that amusement parks with 3D or 4D cinemas could start screening Pokémon 4D: Pikachu's Ocean Adventure, since I think it would be popular and it's already dubbed and all.
Pokémon 3D Adventure: Find Mew! could quite easily be dubbed since Pikachu shorts usually only have a couple of lines by Ash and the gang at the beginning and the end + the narrator's voice. Amusment parks could start screening that one too as soon as it's been dubbed.

I'd also like to see all current Pikachu shorts (the 3D shorts too) dubbed and released as a DVD box. The 3D shorts would be released as non-3D versions.

droomph

weeb
Years
I've always wanted to see Dawn's Cyndaquil in English evolve before I die (because Japanese is something that is coming verrry slowly for me) so yessss

Other than that...I would like the Wishcash (hth you spell that) episode aired, as that has nothing against the rules, just was forgotten. Same goes for all the other "forgotten" episodes.

As for the Porygon one, I would like to see it re-edited (I'm sure that the computers and HDTVs today can handle a less traumatizing experience) but likely not going to happen.

And the other ones with a reason to be banned (like BEWBS) they shouldn't be aiirrrrrred but they should come in a VHS or something (like all the other Pokémon episodes) but with a warning yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back