• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Seven-Day Seven-K

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Introduction

NaNoWriMo is a writing challenge that takes place over the month of November. In it, participants have one month (thirty days, from midnight on the first to 11:59 PM on the thirtieth) to write at least fifty thousand words – a full-fledged novel. A few make it. Many others wipe out.

On that happy note, welcome to Seven-Day Seven-K, a PC challenge that's a bit shorter and a bit less brain-aneurism-inducing as a form of pumping us up for the bigger challenge in November. Here, rather than spend a month writing a whopping fifty thousand words, we spend one week writing seven thousand. That's only one thousand words a day for each day of the week.

How to Play

Each Seven-Day Seven-K challenge will start every other week (to give us some time to rest up after taking on a challenge) on Sunday. We'll have from midnight that Sunday to 11:59 PM on Saturday to write at least one thousand words for a Pokémon fanfic a day, but at 11:59 PM, it's pens down and chime in.

There's no entry fee, no need to sign up using a cute little entry form, nothing you need to do except come prepared with ideas for a Pokémon fanfiction.

The Details in Q&A Form
(Some questions borrowed from the NaNoWriMo FAQ because we're playing by the same rules.)

Q. Run that by me again.
A. Seven-Day Seven-K is a challenge that occurs every other week in which authors write a Pokémon fic that's at least seven thousand words within the timeframe of a week. It's a very laid-back challenge where speed is priority over quality (although we hope that you'd at least write coherently). Anything goes so long as you hit that word minimum.

Q. Why is it only for Pokémon fanfiction?
A. Because this is a Pokémon-only forum, and it's easier to index fics without branching into Other Writing. If you want a less lame excuse, sorry.

Q. What canon do I use?
A. Whatever you'd like, sweetheart. Any canon, any concept, whatever you want so long as it's about Pokémon and meets the other requirements I'm beating into your head.

Q. Are those times (midnight and 11:59 PM) our time or yours?
A. Yours. For the sake of your sanity, just use your own clock.

Q. Can I write with someone?
A. No, sorry.

Q. Will short stories be okay? Drabbles?
A. As long as you write seven thousand words and can bundle these seven thousand pieces together into one thread (because you're posting it as proof that you did it), sure, go for it.

Q. Can I plan?
A. Planning's fine. Starting early is not.

Q. Can I work on something I've already started?
A. No, sorry. If you want to do this legally, you'll need to start from complete scratch. The reason why is fairly simple. It's quantity over quality in this challenge, so rather than add crap to your existing work, you're better off working on something completely new.

Q. Can I go over the limit?
A. Sure! Seven thousand words is just the minimum. You're free to go well over that maximum if you'd like so long as you put your pen down at the right time.

Q. What if I don't finish the story at the end of the week but meet the minimum?
A. Post what you have and finish it later. So long as you can prove to us that you had seven thousand words within the time limit, it's okay if it's not finished yet.

Q. What are the prizes?
A. No prizes except an ego boost. This isn't a competition between authors.

Q. Do I have to post my fic at the end of the week?
A. Posting rules go as such. If you want us to verify that you have at least seven thousand words, post within the competition week (as in, before the end of Saturday) in your own thread with [7 Day] somewhere in the title. For example, if your fic is named "Cheese," title it like so:

"[7 Day] Cheese"

Getting back to the point, posting is also completely optional. If your work is so crappy that you can't handle it, you don't need to post it. It is, however, a good idea if you want to brag that you've beaten the challenge and would like to show off the result to the rest of the forum.

As an added bonus, all winners will be put in a special list at the end of this post/in the next post.

Q. What are the prompts for?
A. For those of you who can't think of what to write, one-word prompts will be posted in this thread to help get your brain jumping.

Q. What's the rest of this thread for?
A. Think of it as the FFL for participants. Talk about whatever you'd like. I really don't care. The mod might, so just keep it within the rules of the forum/PC and go wild.

Next Game Starts
September 6, 2009

Weekly Prompt
Week #8: Lesson

Past Winners
(Arranged chronologically by date submitted, with the oldest ones first.)
Fic Title – Author – Week #

A Haunting at the Old Chateau - Shrike Flamestar - Week #1 (5/31/09)
The Last Rocket - Bay - Week #2 (6/14/09)
Torn - Sparkling Dragon - Week #3 (6/28/09)

Last edited:

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
Sweet! :D

I assume this will start next sunday at midnight then?

Though techinically it would start in 1 minute for me XD

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
I assume this will start next sunday at midnight then?

Though techinically it would start in 1 minute for me XD

Wait, isn't it Monday? XD Don't confuse the already half-asleep!

And yes, it's this coming Sunday (the 31st). I figure starting a day late would make people want to maul me.

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
Or we could have started it at advantage to our already tired minds XD (jk), though just imagine what would come out of that:

Then Bob sought a Pokemon battle with George, and Bob won fast, then they went to the store to buy ice cream, and instead had another pokemon battle, where Bob beat him again, but that is okay, because Bob is a good trainer, so they ate their ice cream and had another pokemon battle, Bob beat George once again, this time though they decided to race each other to see who could run the fastest, and while running Bob got hit by a backing truck, and died.

^gl?

Appearntly it is monday.

ckret2

usually pronounced "secret 2"
Years
Or we could have started it at advantage to our already tired minds XD (jk), though just imagine what would come out of that:

Then Bob sought a Pokemon battle with George, and Bob won fast, then they went to the store to buy ice cream, and instead had another pokemon battle, where Bob beat him again, but that is okay, because Bob is a good trainer, so they ate their ice cream and had another pokemon battle, Bob beat George once again, this time though they decided to race each other to see who could run the fastest, and while running Bob got hit by a backing truck, and died.

^gl?

Appearntly it is monday.

Ahhh, you'll never reach 7000 words with writing that simple! Elaborate, elaborate, elaborate! That's how you get to 7k. Observe!

Then the wonderful and absolutely amazing trainer who is really named Robert Martin Johnson Bojangles (the Martin was his father's name and the Johnson was his mother's father's name and the Bojangles came from only Arceus knows where) but who likes to go by the name of Bob sought a challenging and very exciting Pokemon battle with George, who has an equally exciting name but who did not wish to share it with Bob because George had a deep and dark secret, and Bob won fast because he had a Pikachu which could beat George's Goldeen and he had a Charizard which could beet Geroge's Chikorita and he had a Magikarp who you think would do nothing but it was actually level 100 so it easily beat George's level 7 Pidgey because even the lamest Pokémon can win if it has Tackle and you EV train it like heck in Attack, then they went to the store to buy ice cream because ice cream is tasty and Bob wanted chocolate double dip brick road extra chocolate with sprinkles and George wanted cherry jubilee with three extra scoops of whip cream and five cherries but not four or six and seven would be too many, and instead had another pokemon battle because they agreed that another Pokémon battle would be a good idea so they had another one for this reason, where Bob beat him again just like he beat him the first time and he pretty much used the same strategy, but that is okay, because Bob is a good trainer due to the fact that he managed to get a level 100 Magikarp so you know he has to be pretty good, so they ate their ice cream that they bought earlier that was a chocolate double dip brick road extra chocolate with sprinkles and a cherry jubilee with three extra scoops of whip cream and five cherries but not four or six or seven and had another pokemon battle making this the third battle that they had had so far and one very similar to the first two, Bob beat George once again because Bob beat George twice already and by now their Pokémon were pretty tired, this time though they decided to race each other to see who could run the fastest because George realized that he was never going to win at Pokémon and this depressed him greatly so he decided to vent his depression by doing something he knew he was good at because his true name was George Georgiovanni Von Truck Smacker and he never lost a race because the Von Truck Smacker family never lost a race when they were running because they were very good at races that involved running, and while running Bob got hit by a backing truck just like all of the other racing rivals of the Von Truck Smacker racing family got hit, which was a big coincidence, and died a slow and painful and slow and slow death that was also slow and painful but not before he had time to will his Magikarp to George and tell his Pikachu which was strong and his Charizard which was also strong to avenge his death.

... I've done NaNoWriMo before. I know all the strategies for upping your word count. XD All this block of text needs now is a dream sequence. And a long argument that goes "Yes!" "No!" "Yes!" "No!" "Yes!" "No!"

[/nano-inside-jokes] Seriously, though, this looks like a great idea. At the least, I could use this as motivation to make some serious progress on the fic that I'd planned on finishing weeks ago, even if it wouldn't be a "legal" entry into the 7Day7K.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
I know all the strategies for upping your word count.

Have you heard the one where you use the search feature to replace every instance of the word "the" with the phrase "the damn"? Sure, it's cheap, but you'll complete the challenge quickly and colorfully.

Also, when all else fails, zombies.

[/adding to nano jokes]

Seriously, though, this looks like a great idea.

Thanks. =D I hope it's successful.

Also, you've reminded me about the rule in NaNo that says to legally do it, it's got to be fresh, rather than something you're working on. Should I add that in, or is it implied enough with the answer to the planning question?

Years
  • Seen May 11, 2016
Coolio, I'd love to try this out! =3 Though, that fall I had has my brains scrambled, but I'm sure I can think of something. XD​

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
Yeah you probably should add it in, I have two ideas in the back of my head for fics, but don't want to use it for this.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
Years
Wow! Bring it on, people. This sounds like great fun. I might even have a look at the NaNoWriMo or whatever it was, too...probably bomb out though.

An-chan

Whoops.
Years
GENIUS. I know I'll fail seven thousand times, but I still want to join. I tried NaNo, but that didn't work out so well, being November and all. This Sunday is very convenient anyway, because my VACATION STAAAAAARTS!!!! *vacation dance* And only a month left before I go to Japan, and I'm going to need something to take my mind off it so that I don't explode. I'm seriously as enthusiasted as a five-year-old is about going to the pool...

I'm very excited about this, too. I'm loving the idea! Can I tag my threads [7-Day], though, or is it grammatically wrong? I'm not so sure about English compounds, but I hate it when Finnish kids write Finnish compounds wrog. Thus, it pains me to write [7 Day]. *ahhhh it burns!* Unless I know it's the only correct way, that is? How's it?

Sometimes it pisses me off to be so out of this language.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
I tried NaNo, but that didn't work out so well, being November and all.

Haha, yeah, that's the problem I have annually too. XD If it was June, I'd be perfectly fine with it, but no, it just has to be November, aka Paper Season.

Can I tag my threads [7-Day], though

Sure, go ahead. So long as it has 7 and Day in it somewhere, I don't mind.

Blue Screen of Death

Wait, what?
Years
Sweet, this sounds like lots o' fun! Not to mention the first (and only) prompt. If you can't come up with something good with fire, then you either are having a very slow day, or are not very creative.

My only concern is that I might have a slow start because the first three days of this are my last three days. Then again, that might work the other way, seeing as its the last three days and we won't be doing much.

Oh, and one more thing. The ultimate idea for this week: "Furrets with flamethrowers!"

ckret2

usually pronounced "secret 2"
Years
Oh, and one more thing. The ultimate idea for this week: "Furrets with flamethrowers!"

"Hah! There's absolutely NOTHING between Elm's lab and the first Gym that possibly poses a threat to my awesome new Chikorita! The Bug-types are lame, the Flying-types are lame, and all that's left are a bunch of pitiful Sentret. What can they possibly do to my Chikor... HOLY--!!"

The wide-open prompt is a great idea. (Since I'll just be using 7Day7k to work on the fic I'm in the middle of, though, I won't be using the prompt. Maybe the next week, when I can do 7Day7k "officially.")

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
Oi, I just realized, lol... My vacation starts on the 5th and I work 5 days in a row leading up to it, so I'll do what I can XD

Lana.

*spin*
Years
Perfect! I'm doing anything that week. And 'Fire' is a great prompt...

I'm so excited. This will be a great way to kick off the summer...

Shrike Flamestar

The Invisible!
Years
While fire is indeed a nice prompt, we don't have to follow it, right? I was thinking of trying my hand at a dark fic sort of thing, probably one with lots of blood. <_< Fire might still be involved, but not the main focus.

Hmm, I'm already getting a lot of ideas for it. It'll probably be pretty generic, I'm thinking a sort of haunted house scenario, but I need to test the waters somehow. Any rating is fine, right? Including R? :D

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
While fire is indeed a nice prompt, we don't have to follow it, right? I was thinking of trying my hand at a dark fic sort of thing, probably one with lots of blood. <_< Fire might still be involved, but not the main focus.

Hmm, I'm already getting a lot of ideas for it. It'll probably be pretty generic, I'm thinking a sort of haunted house scenario, but I need to test the waters somehow. Any rating is fine, right? Including R? :D

Lol yeah, mine is going to be at least 17+. Watching some movies recently has given me some ideas >.>

rmmstnr

The Seeker
Years
Ooh, this seems like a great way to spawn some creativity, I'll have to give it a go. Good thing you mentioned the quantity over quality bit, if you thought my writing's poor now, wait till you add a deadline Xp!

Then Bob sought a Pokemon battle with George...
...and while running Bob got hit by a backing truck, and died.

Then George went out for a frosty chocolate milkshake! Poor Bob, didn't get one...

Back