• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Videogame Crossovers

darkpokeball

Beware the Chainsaw Meowth 0.o
Years
Welcome to the thread for Videogame Crossovers, which was made for the discussion of...
Videogame X-Overs! (as if it wasn't obvious enough)
Here are some discussion starters to well...discuss:
What is your favorite Videogame X-Over? Least favorite? Why?
Which Videogame X-Over needs to be made?
What are your overall opinions on crossovers regarding videogames?

etc.

To answer some of the questions:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Cross-overs are odd. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. It depends on the franchises that are crossed together, in my opinion, and how well said franchises compliment each other. (They don't have to be similar.) Of course, designing the game to deliver a cross over worthy of praise and attention is hugely important as well. Which brings me to my favorite and least favorite cross overs...

My favorite is Marvel vs Capcom 3, although incidentally my least favorite would be Street Fighter x Tekken. Why, pray tell, would a Marvel x Capcom crossover manages to become better than Street Fighter x Tekken despite making much more sense? Because SFxT was poorly designed, with absolutely huge flaws in its mechanics and marketing that put shame into Tekken. As a fighting game fan I was, naturally, excited to have two kings crossed over like that but ended up with disappointment when I was greeted with such a poor game. Marvel vs Capcom 3 while also flawed as a fighting game, managed to deliver with great elements and many fan service, and mechanics that are ultimately fun but very difficult to master.

Generally I don't like cross overs because they are rarely executed well, and even if they were I still view them as any other game with a strange concept. Odd crossovers are probably the best, rather than obvious ones.

My least favorite? Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games. Don't get me
wrong, it's a good game(and it has two sequels.) But it's freaking MARIO
and SONIC. Two videogame giants! In an Olympics Game?!
So much potential... Sure, Sonic appeared in SSBB which was fun, but it was
only him. No Tails or Knux, just one guest star from the Sonic-verse. I would
like to see the SOnic and Mario franchises have an actual crossover with a
Sonic-style storyline...
How would you design the game though? Sonic right now isn't big enough to star an adventure with Mario, and honestly it's a poor idea generally wished by fans blinded by how great it sounds on paper. A Sonic-style story line will make things only worse, as well. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games is fundamentally a solid game, with a simple concept (like it should) and a great way to have fun with friends or family. Of course that was before it got a storyline with questionable writing.

Years
I kind of like crossovers, espcially since the Professor Layton/ Phoenix Wright game was announced.
I love both series, and... yes. I need the game so bad it's painful.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
I guess my favorite cross over, if Parodius doesn't count (in that it could be it's own universe), is Marvel vs. Capcom. I've unfortunately still never played the second one, and I don't know if it's worth it. I wanted to try the third one, but I think I was turned off of it later by reasons I no longer remember.

I don't have a least favorite, seeing as I don't buy/play crossover games very often.

My general opinion is just as bland. I could take it or leave it. However, there's truth in the phrase "too much of a good thing". I loved Smash Bros 64, was okay with Melee, and while initially hyped up again with Brawl, over time, I just stopped caring, and honestly wouldn't care if they ever made another Smash Bros game again. I kind of think that by adding more and more to it, it not only raises the bar impossibly high, but it also raises hopes impossibly high, too. If they just polished the first Smash with better mechanics, audio and visuals, and added in just a few extra things (but not going crazy), people would be okay with it for the most part, because it wouldn't become a popularity contest. One representative per series, one stage per series, a few recognizable items and easter eggs, and everything is focused on how the game is played.

I feel like having too many characters can be both overwhelming and underwhelming at the same time.
  • Example A: "Oh gee, a roster of 70 characters. Eh... I think I'll just stick to Link. ._."
  • Example B: "Sheesh. 45 characters, and 36 of them are from the Mario series. :\"
Just look at MUGEN, does anybody really get any added value out of having a character selection of eight thousand? There's no possible way anybody went through the trouble of balancing all those characters.

*sigh* Well. As for crossovers I'd like to see... Smash Bros was ideally it. And I'm not even excited about that anymore. :|

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
Years
Easily, Super Robot Wars. Haven't played that many of them, since I want to get familiar with each series first, but I loved the ones I played (Alpha 3, Z and L). There's nothing better than seeing characters from my favorite mecha shows interact and engage in epic battles. Even characters like Shinji from Evangelion turn into manly men of destiny.

Next one would be Chaos Wars. The battle system is poor, the dub is hilariously bad, but the dub makes the game worth playing. It's so bad it's great. Of course, it's recommended to be played with a friend for more laughs. It's a crossover of obscure games, and one of the game is Shadow Hearts, which I really enjoyed, so I loved playing with Yuri and Karin.

Don't know which would be my least favorite crossover.

Khawill

<3
Years
My favorite is Marvel VS. Capcom, Something satisfying about Chris Redfield beating the Hulk, or Dante using his pistols and sword against Iron man :D

There needs to be a crossover where the Terran from Starcraft and the Humans from Halo go to war against the Zerg and whatever the Halo aliens are called.
Or Square Enix vs. Tekken

I don't have any disliked crossovers tbh.

Back