• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Sepia (working title)

Years
  • Seen Sep 11, 2013
Plot:
Introduction of the greatest invention in history of pokemon – pokeball - brought the world to a completely new era. making friends with pokemon became easier than anytime ever before, people could tame untamable until that day species without doing any harm to them, and pokemon battling became so popular, that League was brought to life. Now, when Kanto region became centre of pokemon battling and pokemon-related industry, trainers and scientists from all over the Pokemon Nation gathers to compete during the first Pokemon League Competition ever, and exchange their experiences and observations.
Every coin, however, has two sides: smuggling foreign kinds of pokemon suddenly became easier than ever before, and not everyone seems to approve the idea of keeping living beings in steel spheres – many groups of enemies of new invention are formed.
To make matters worse, unexpected fire on Brass Tower, one of Ecruteak City's Twin Towers, seems to be an omen harbinging the end of friendship between humans and pokemon…

The game will take place one hundred and fifty years before events of I/III Generation in both Johto and Kanto regions, during the first Pokemon League Competition ever. This time, player, apart taking the usual role of trainer, will also have to be more of scientist – exploring, research and breeding pokemon will have greater role.
The game is an attempt to show how the Pokemon World could look like during its Industrial Revolution, when tons of new inventions and innovations were multiplying with tremendous speed, and relation between humans and pokemon met rapid turn.
The architecture and fashion will be analogous to those of nineteenth century's Japan and Europe in less and more developed areas, respectively, and the technology will be kept in steampunk fashion.

Planned Features:

-
More developed scientific aspects of gameplay - including breeding, growth and classification of pokemon.
- More complex plot, based on intrigues and mysteries, rather than villainous team trying to take control over ancient legendary pokemon; many sidequests and mysterious areas to explore.
- Explanation and history of origins of many pokemon species, items, organizations, terms, characters, places, etc. Many easter eggs and references to originals games.
- Dozens of fakemon: new starters; alternative & branch evolutions, determined by different environment conditions and obtainable by non-existing today methods; equivalents of legendary pokemon, some of them requiring many effort to find.
- Tournament instead of Elite Four battle. Similar to anime's Conferences, at the Pokemon League place there will be a tournament between strongest trainers who were able to collect eight gym badges, determining the first Elite Four members ever.
- Changed mechanics of catching pokemon, determined by much bigger size of first pokeballs.
- More than eight gyms, making some of them optional.

Some early-game main characters:

- Professor Silph – Brilliant engineer, inventor of pokeball, which he came up with during one of his journeys to Johto, when he met PC, who was making some improvements to bug-catching apricorn traps. Supported and financed by Pokemon League - little at that time organization uniting enthusiasts of pokemon battles - he managed to construct his invention and now is owner of the most prosperous manufacture in the history, known as Silph Corporation.

- Player Character – Young boy/girl from Azalea Village, whose greatest dream is to complete his/her Pokempendium – self-made lexicon of knowledge about all species of pokemon. Since his/her toddler days, his/her hobby was making newer and newer improvements to traditional Azalean bug-catching traps made of apricorn (which provided him/her fame among other Azalean kids of owning heracross, though not for long time). Now, after years, he/she is once again visited by Professor Silph, now a famous engineer, who wishes to express his gratitude towards PC giving him/her brand-new pokeball. Later, PC, accompanying professor to Goldenrod's train station, gets to know about Pokemon League Competition, in which he/she sees a perfect chance to improve his/her knowledge about pokemon.

- Rival - Member of Dragon Clan of Blackthorn Village, who takes part on Pokemon League Competition to remind the world about the greatness of his clan, now forgotten, due to alleged extinction of dragon-pokemon. He first battles PC during the sign-up to competition, and consider him/her as his rival since then. His partner is female shiny charmander.

- James - Young and ambitious low-ranked clerk of Pokemon League. Always polite and gallant, he can always serve with good advice to inexperienced newbie-trainers. Not much of a battler.

- Starter – Rare bug-pokemon from Ilex forest, representative of the species on the brink of extinction; long-time friend of PC. It allows PC to caught it to pokeball given to him/her by Silph, and accompany him/her during the journey since then.

- Charity

If you are interested in this project - please, let me know.

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 27, 2016
A bug for a starter? That's never been done before, Not that I don't like it. This looks like a very interesting game.

Years
  • Seen Sep 11, 2013
I haven't stated it before, but there are actually going to be three bug-starters to choose: either pure bugs at their first stage, gaining secondary type at second forme, or bug/grass, bug/fire and bug/water pokemon from the beginning.

Reason behind that - to keep disadvantage to the fire type of rival's charmander (and later, flying type of charizard). There will be also some kind of choice of difficulty level: bug/grass has quadruple weakness to fire and flying types, while bug/fire and bug/water takes normal and double damages, respectively.

Also, bug-type starter suits player characater as the allusion to Mr Satoshi Taijiri, who, as we all know, spent his childhood collecting insects~

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Also, bug-type starter suits player characater as the allusion to Mr Satoshi Taijiri, who, as we all know, spent his childhood collecting insects~

You sir. Earned my respect.

Anyways, the scientific idea to side of pokémon is a very smarticle idea, If i do say so myself, if you could add it all into a RMXP project would be amazing and certainly something I'd play.

The characters sound like they'll be fitting in lovely to the game.

I hope to see some media soon for this!

Years
  • Seen Aug 17, 2012
The storyline is pretty interesting but im not too comfortable of the idea of bug starter

Years
  • Seen Sep 11, 2013
You sir. Earned my respect.
Glad to hear~ c:

the scientific idea to side of pokémon is a very smarticle idea
Well, I'm pretty much surprised why GameFreak didn't developed Pokemon at that direction, making those Musicals instead. Pokemon had always been to me a game about science, not pet-care.

im not too comfortable of the idea of bug starter
Maybe it's a liitle bit too eccentric idea, but, as I explained above, pretty much justified ^^

Years
  • Seen Sep 28, 2012
Even though I'm not a huge fan of bug type Pokémon, your choice of is as a starter is well-founded in logic and is hardly a problem in a game where you have many alternative choices to turn to if you don't like the starter.

No reason to turn down a gift just because you don't like the colour of the ribbon it's wrapped in!

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
This is really cool, my game takes place only 40 years before pokemon red+blue xDD
Anyway, I like the idea of starting in the past, and having the option to choose what gyms you battle is a really cool idea, but i have a few questions
is there any reward for beating all the gyms? and what is your "new idea" for catching pokemon?
Good luck with this idea, it has a lot of ambition!

Years
THIS, SO MUCH THIS. <3

There aren't enough fan-games that explore the history/backstory and more intellectual aspects of Pokemon. It's great to see changes from the usual "official" style and formula/cliches, too - and steampunk is awesmoe.

On having bugs for the starters, I think it's rather fitting thematically, and not just for the reasons you've given. Bug is often seen as one of the weaker types; perhaps that's a side-effect of advancing technology and intrusion/destruction of habitats (like Mr. Tajiri must have noticed as he grew up)? I think some bug mons would have been stronger 150 years ago, and starters are pretty powerful anyway.

Also, when it comes to growth and classification, I'd like to see some stuff on Pokemon death and lifespan. IIRC the official games haven't really delved into that - besides RBY with Pokemon Tower - so there's much that could be played with.

In any case, I'll definitely keep an eye on this, and hope that it goes a long way! :D

Years
  • Seen Sep 11, 2013
my game takes place only 40 years before pokemon red+blue xDD

I think it has much potential in showing the youth days of some older characters~ By the way, can I read about your project somewhere here, on PokeCommunity? :D

is there any reward for beating all the gyms? and what is your "new idea" for catching pokemon?

Why, chance to challenge Pokemon League of course~! Or do you mean beating more than eight gyms? I actually wanted to make it impossible during single run; it will motivate to re-play the game in the future :D

About the new way of catching pokemon - I am not fully sure about this feature, I'm afraid that anything new would ruin the whole 'pokemon feel'.

THIS, SO MUCH THIS. <3
There aren't enough fan-games that explore the history/backstory and more intellectual aspects of Pokemon. It's great to see changes from the usual "official" style and formula/cliches, too - and steampunk is awesmoe.

Glad you like the idea ^^

On having bugs for the starters, I think it's rather fitting thematically, and not just for the reasons you've given. Bug is often seen as one of the weaker types; perhaps that's a side-effect of advancing technology and intrusion/destruction of habitats (like Mr. Tajiri must have noticed as he grew up)? I think some bug mons would have been stronger 150 years ago, and starters are pretty powerful anyway.

Wow, you are completely right, I even remember Mr Taijiri saying in some interview that he got interested in video games by the fact that industrialisation in his hometown ruined natural habitats of many insects, and, hence, his previous hobby~ :)

Also, when it comes to growth and classification, I'd like to see some stuff on Pokemon death and lifespan. IIRC the official games haven't really delved into that - besides RBY with Pokemon Tower - so there's much that could be played with.

I think that is because timespan of a game's plot is much shorter than lifespan of any pokemon, but heck, if this isn't some interesting feature to think about :D

And, by the way - welcome on the board, I'm sure your talents, way of thinking and enthusiasm will help the project very much :D

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
I think it has much potential in showing the youth days of some older characters~ By the way, can I read about your project somewhere here, on PokeCommunity? :D
Yes, infact you can! My game is Pokemon X here in the beginners showcase, later today I'm planning on a major update, showing off completed maps and such. Thanks for your interest :P

Back