• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Super Smash Bros. Discussion

Do you think it is real or fake?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
With there being a week left until the inevitable Smash 4 reveal, I thought I could garner interest by making this thread as an official discussion of the series.

So played it? Loved it? This is the place to voice your opinion about the series. Who do you main? Which of the three games is your favorite? How about your favorite stage? And who would you like to see in the next Smash game?

Lil Mac 4 Smash

Rest

Showstealer Pro: Trial Version
Years
Loved SSBM and SSBB, but I'll go with SSBB for the sheer fun of it. I've spent hours upon hours playing that game with my roommates.

I don't know! I'd love to see more Pokemon! It's probably likely that they'll drop Lucario and go ahead with a new, relevant humanoid Pokemon like Zoroark, a popular Pokemon like Eevee, or another version of Pokemon Trainer with 5th-gen starters. Personally I hope Mewtwo comes back. That was my favourite character from SSBM and my main, though I feel like Mewtwo was a one-and-done thing.

I'd be down with Lil Mac.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Highly doubt they'd drop Lucario considering he's still heavily promoted, and we have to consider his popularity. Zoroark is no where near as big. I'd stay he'd stay, with Mewtwo coming back. That was the original plan, after all.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
Hum, I'm thinking of something new to say for a change here... -,'

Uh, I dunno, maybe it'll be one of the games people can try at Best Buy if they reveal it at E3? Cool if so, but I'm really hoping for Sonic Lost World.

Playable Rick/Kine/Coo or bust. Also, I'll lol if Ninten makes it in somehow while keeping Ness and Lucas.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Shoot, you beat me to making this thread.

I love playing Brawl, and I main R.O.B. in that game. Shadow Moses is my favorite stage because of the Snake codecs; I definitely wish for them to return with the addition of Pit codec based on Uprising. In all honesty, I've been hoping for a female trainer to appear in SSB4 ever since Red was confirmed for Brawl at the Dojo and when I first saw Dawn's performance in the anime, which is why I despise Iris and wish she doesn't make it in first. Everyone else who makes is just a mere bonus, as long as it's not Paper Mario, Dr. Mario, or any version of an already-existing Mario character as a separate character (you know, time paradox). There's a reason why it only works for the Zelda series when having two different Links.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Ahh Brawl; yeah, I really used to love playing Brawl. To be honest though, I prefer Melee for a number of things, but, Brawl is also pretty good! In Brawl I play as Diddy Kong, Pikachu, Kirby and Zelda mostly~ I used to play "competitively" until I couldn't stand dealing with online lag anymore, so yeaaaah.

I really hope Lyn from Fire Emblem, "Toon Zelda", and Issac from Golden Sun can make an apparence in the next brawl~

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
I bought Super Smash Bros 64 yesterday and damn, it feels so good when there are hit stuns. Everyone is so overpowered in this game. Since Captain Falcon is my main in Melee, it'd be redundant to main him here, so I main DK who actually isn't crappy in this one! Feels good to use the ape when he isn't so bad.

If you're curious on who I main in Brawl, it's Wario and Snake. I'll definitely keep maining Wario in Smash 4 as well. His play style was how I started liking the guy.

Also, Sakurai confirmed a debut trailer on Tuesday. Get hyped!
little_mac.gif
nostalgia_number_49__king_k__rool_by_yoursuperheroine-d4uvcem.gif
tumblr_mki16lN2wH1qeie3mo1_100.png
Fire_Emblem_Lyn_by_EnixCloud1.gif
72px-Jimmy_T._WarioWare_Mega_Microgames.png

tumblr_mn4j7mKNQX1qit5s0o1_400.gif

Spoiler:

Am I missing anyone?
EDIT:
How could I forget?
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Rest

Showstealer Pro: Trial Version
Years
GET ****ING HYPED

Pretty confident Mewthree will take one of the roster slots.

Am I the only one here who's hoping for a Mario clone (or the return of Dr. Mario)?

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Loved Dr. Mario in Melee. I'm all in for him coming back. Hell, out of all the Melee character who missed the Brawl boat, he's the one I want. I actually don't care about the rest. Pichu sucks, Marth (and Ike, for that matter) >>>> Roy, Toon Link >>>> Young Link and Mewtwo needs a huge moveset overhaul if they want me to care about him.

I also don't get Roy's popularity. He's better than Chrom, but if a lord should be in, it's what we have, Ephraim (Lance user, we need a departure from swords) and Lyn (samurai style). Micaiah's alright too, but I can't see a mage working. I get Mewtwo though.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Am I the only one here who's hoping for a Mario clone (or the return of Dr. Mario)?

Loved Dr. Mario in Melee. I'm all in for him coming back.

Sweet Arceus no, if you read my previous post, all Dr. Mario did was creating a time paradox in the Mario Universe, much like how they did with the Baby Mario characters, Metal Mario, and Dry Bowser in Mario sports games. This is also why I do not want Paper Mario in for the same reason. Having two versions of the same character only works in the Zelda Universe, because there's canonically more than one Link and more than one Zelda, but there is only one Mario in the Mario Universe, as every version of him is canonically the same person. The only possible candidate for a fifth Mario rep is Toad, since no realistic baby dragon noises are known to exist for Bowser Jr. to ditch his cartoonish voice much like Bowser, DK, and Diddy Kong (Yoshi's the only one who keeps his voice, for he's canonically known to talk according to Otacon from Snake's codec), and Waluigi was described to be an unnecessary character and, according to Screwattack, a very bad one.

I also don't get Roy's popularity. He's better than Chrom, but if a lord should be in, it's what we have, Ephraim (Lance user, we need a departure from swords) and Lyn (samurai style).

Ephraim and Lyn can't be playable in Smash Bros. without their co-stars (Erika for Ephraim, and Eliwood, Hector, and your avatar for Lyn), who are equally as important to the plot as them. The same applies to Chrom, who is not the only main focus in Awakening unless Sakurai is able to make him pair up with Lucina or the Avatar to differentiate himself from the other Fire Emblem reps, so if we're ever going to get a third Fire Emblem rep, it'll be either Roy's return or Anna, who is FE's secondary mascot.

Micaiah's alright too, but I can't see a mage working.

Zelda would like to speak with you.

Last edited:

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Isn't Super Smash Bros. essentially a non-canonical series though?

Not according to Snake's codecs and the Star Fox codecs, which confirms that they are the same characters from their respective game series. So it's important for Smash Bros. to not mess with the continuity of pre-existing franchises in the game. It's why I had such a hard time organizing the Zelda series for my roster prediction prior to E3, by replacing Ganondrof with Demise and Make Zelda and Sheik into separate characters, as no know concept art of Skyward Sword is known to exist for both Sheik and Ganondorf.

Last edited:

Daddebayo

Banned
Years
  • Seen Jun 10, 2013
I think perhaps Norman should be in the next Smash Bros., as he's a father-like figure to the trainer, the only one who is actually there! He could use Slakoth and its evolutions. According to the calculations I've done on the roster, this is very possible.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Explain Ridley and Meta Ridley co-existing when they're the same character. (There is no way the space pirates would've been able to reconstruct him in that short amount of time.) Or Mario having FLUDD when it presumably malfunctioned after Sunshine's events. Also, Shiek is not related with Twilight Princess Zelda, at all, yet she's there as her transformation. Toon Link and Link are both in, and despite being different characters, were still of a different timeline according to the "canon" (lol), so that alone is a time paradox, same with Ness and Lucas. Also, Snake is presumably MGS1 Snake, yet he has Big Boss's face, who is a different character, and he is wearing his MGS2 suit. There's no canon here. Also, Diddy Kong's Brawl voice is VERY similar to his voice in Donkey Kong Country. Bowser and DK also constantly change voice actors. Bowser Jr.'s voice has no bearing on whether or not he can get in or not.

As for your Lyn argument (I can get behind Eiphraim needing Eirika). This is the game that has Wario in his Warioware appearance but the other members of the Warioware crew, who are of equal importance in the series, never appear. Captain Falcon isn't more important than Pico, Dr. Stewart or especially Samurai Goroh except for the fact he's the presumed main character. Lyn also appeared as an assist trophy, yet Eliwood and Hector are nowhere to be seen.

I personally found Zelda's moveset to be awfully bland anyway.

Anyhow, I got bored so I tried to make an ideal roster for the next game. Some choices aside (like, 4) I tried to make it as not biased as possible.
idealteu04.png

50 characters. All Brawl characters re-appear. 15 newcomers. (Around the same amount as Brawl's newcomers, but just like one or two more.) Blue border are characters that are unlocked from the start, whereas the red borders are "secret" unlockable characters. I also ordered them in what I feel like the best possible order. (Ex. the strategic games, Fire Emblem, Pikmin, and Advance Wars are in the same row. The NES-only characters are together. Punch Out, Metroid and Kid Icarus started as NES games that are popular particularly in the west so they're together. F-Zero and Star Fox together because of the space theme, etc.)

I couldn't decide between Captain Syrup and Kat & Ana, so I put both there for anyone to decide on whether a Warioware rep would be better than a Wario Land one. Kat & Ana could be considered filler for other Warioware characters not named Ashley.
Groose and Mewtwo are filler for their respective series. Groose less so, though.
King K.Rool, Lil Mac, Ridley, Chrom, Palutena and Samurai Goroh are the popularly requested character and the obvious choices, if you will. Mewtwo too if he was the Pokemon rep.
C. Syrup/Warioware rep serve as another Wario character, which is a big franchise to just have one representative.
Toon Link is iffy. I put Toon Zelda with him as another Ice Climber esque character because she fought with him in Wind Waker and particularly Spirit Tracks, and also to differentiate him from Link. Diddy + Dixie served as a huge hurdle for the development team, however, and I can see this being worse.
Takamura is the retro rep. But I also added another in Mr. Stevenson. He could be the "Mr. Game & Watch" character if you will, as he could represent the NES gun games. Of course, you could replace him with the Duck Hunt dog for that, but I'd rather Stevenson, personally.
Sami and Karate Joe are more personal choices, but Rhythm Heaven is huge in japan, and a character from the series is actually not that far from the realm. Japan would love him. Sami is kinda the opposite, because Advance Wars is pretty big in the west, and it's criminal not to have a rep. It's either her or Andy, but Sami's much more of a fighter. No one likes Max.
Ryuta (also Agent J) is another personal one, and he's DEFINITELY not gonna be in. So you could replace him with whoever you want. Karate Joe makes him obsolete anyway. Still, he'd be a great WTF choice.
Mega Man is who I can see as the most likely 3rd party rep. But you could look at him as a filler for that.

Thoughts? Like it? Not? Would you be happy if that ended up being the end roster?

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Explain Ridley and Meta Ridley co-existing when they're the same character. (There is no way the space pirates would've been able to reconstruct him in that short amount of time.) Or Mario having FLUDD when it presumably malfunctioned after Sunshine's events. Also, Shiek is not related with Twilight Princess Zelda, at all, yet she's there as her transformation. Toon Link and Link are both in, and despite being different characters, were still of a different timeline according to the "canon" (lol), so that alone is a time paradox, same with Ness and Lucas. Also, Snake is presumably MGS1 Snake, yet he has Big Boss's face, who is a different character, and he is wearing his MGS2 suit. There's no canon here.

A time paradox in my definition is when two versions of the same character, who are canonically the same one, appear as separate characters in a game with a large roster, and this applies to any franchise but the Zelda series. So really, Ness and Lucas can get away with my definition of time paradox since they're not related. There was scrapped concept art for Shiek's Twilight Princess design , which was why she was still part of TP Zelda's transformation. It can said that Meta-Ridley is actually the same Ridley Samus and Pikachu took down in SSE (and Nintendo logic applies that space pirates may have reconstruct him in that short amount of time).

Also, Diddy Kong's Brawl voice is VERY similar to his voice in Donkey Kong Country. Bowser and DK also constantly change voice actors. Bowser Jr.'s voice has no bearing on whether or not he can get in or not.

But how will Bowser Jr. sound in Smash Bros.? Like I said, there aren't any media sources for baby dragon noises for Jr., given how non-human Mario characters excluding Yoshi are given realistic animal noises. I know this reason is why King K. Rool's inclusion is an automatic shoe-in, for there exists realistic crocodilian noises.

As for your Lyn argument (I can get behind Eiphraim needing Eirika). This is the game that has Wario in his Warioware appearance but the other members of the Warioware crew, who are of equal importance in the series, never appear. Captain Falcon isn't more important than Pico, Dr. Stewart or especially Samurai Goroh except for the fact he's the presumed main character. Lyn also appeared as an assist trophy, yet Eliwood and Hector are nowhere to be seen.

Doesn't that also make it suspcious as to why Lyn was an assist trophy in the first place? The WarioWare characters can be seen as just minor characters and not as important as Wario himself, which is why the guys in Smashboards agree that his series is fine with only one rep. For Captain Falcon, I think someone from Smashboards commented that he was included because he's Sakurai's favorite character. While I can agree that F-Zero would need a second rep, but I think that including Samurai Goroh will mean not including Takamaru, for they share the same concept, so Black Shadow is an alternate choice just so we can recreate that falcon punch meme.

Anyhow, I got bored so I tried to make an ideal roster for the next game. Some choices aside (like, 4) I tried to make it as not biased as possible.
idealteu04.png

50 characters. All Brawl characters re-appear. 15 newcomers. (Around the same amount as Brawl's newcomers, but just like one or two more.) Blue border are characters that are unlocked from the start, whereas the red borders are "secret" unlockable characters. I also ordered them in what I feel like the best possible order. (Ex. the strategic games, Fire Emblem, Pikmin, and Advance Wars are in the same row. The NES-only characters are together. Punch Out, Metroid and Kid Icarus started as NES games that are popular particularly in the west so they're together. F-Zero and Star Fox together because of the space theme, etc.)

I couldn't decide between Captain Syrup and Kat & Ana, so I put both there for anyone to decide on whether a Warioware rep would be better than a Wario Land one. Kat & Ana could be considered filler for other Warioware characters not named Ashley.
Groose and Mewtwo are filler for their respective series. Groose less so, though.
King K.Rool, Lil Mac, Ridley, Chrom, Palutena and Samurai Goroh are the popularly requested character and the obvious choices, if you will. Mewtwo too if he was the Pokemon rep.
C. Syrup/Warioware rep serve as another Wario character, which is a big franchise to just have one representative.
Toon Link is iffy. I put Toon Zelda with him as another Ice Climber esque character because she fought with him in Wind Waker and particularly Spirit Tracks, and also to differentiate him from Link. Diddy + Dixie served as a huge hurdle for the development team, however, and I can see this being worse.
Takamura is the retro rep. But I also added another in Mr. Stevenson. He could be the "Mr. Game & Watch" character if you will, as he could represent the NES gun games. Of course, you could replace him with the Duck Hunt dog for that, but I'd rather Stevenson, personally.
Sami and Karate Joe are more personal choices, but Rhythm Heaven is huge in japan, and a character from the series is actually not that far from the realm. Japan would love him. Sami is kinda the opposite, because Advance Wars is pretty big in the west, and it's criminal not to have a rep. It's either her or Andy, but Sami's much more of a fighter. No one likes Max.
Ryuta (also Agent J) is another personal one, and he's DEFINITELY not gonna be in. So you could replace him with whoever you want. Karate Joe makes him obsolete anyway. Still, he'd be a great WTF choice.
Mega Man is who I can see as the most likely 3rd party rep. But you could look at him as a filler for that.

Thoughts? Like it? Not? Would you be happy if that ended up being the end roster?

Don't expect the roster to be 50, because Sakurai said that there will be less newcomers this time around and would rather focus on balancing the current roster we have from Brawl. I suspect cutting some characters until the number of the roster is somewhere in the late 30s or early 40s.

Daddebayo

Banned
Years
  • Seen Jun 10, 2013
A time paradox in my definition is when two versions of the same character, who are canonically the same one, appear as separate characters in a game with a large roster, and this applies to any franchise but the Zelda series. So really, Ness and Lucas can get away with my definition of time paradox since they're not related. There was scrapped concept art for Shiek's Twilight Princess design , which was why she was still part of TP Zelda's transformation. It can said that Meta-Ridley is actually the same Ridley Samus and Pikachu took down in SSE (and Nintendo logic applies that space pirates may have reconstruct him in that short amount of time).

All the characters are trophies. There is no time paradox. THEY'RE TROPHIES. That's like not selling certain toys because it would create a time paradox. Super Smash Bros is just a fighting game, there are no rules for things like this.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
What the above poster said. Still don't see how a time paradox is a problem. I mean, you can have 4 Marios fighting at the same time in this game, so it's not any different.

But how will Bowser Jr. sound in Smash Bros.? Like I said, there aren't any media sources for baby dragon noises for Jr., given how non-human Mario characters excluding Yoshi are given realistic animal noises. I know this reason is why King K. Rool's inclusion is an automatic shoe-in, for there exists realistic crocodilian noises.
The same as always? Like I said, DK and Bowser always constantly change voice actors. Yoshi doesn't. (For the know how to talk thing, Bowser and Bowser Jr. talk too.) See how it is?

Doesn't that also make it suspcious as to why Lyn was an assist trophy in the first place? The WarioWare characters can be seen as just minor characters and not as important as Wario himself, which is why the guys in Smashboards agree that his series is fine with only one rep. For Captain Falcon, I think someone from Smashboards commented that he was included because he's Sakurai's favorite character. While I can agree that F-Zero would need a second rep, but I think that including Samurai Goroh will mean not including Takamaru, for they share the same concept, so Black Shadow is an alternate choice just so we can recreate that falcon punch meme.
When has Smashboards ever decided for the Smash roster? And they were they ever right? They thought Geno was a shoe-in, for god's sake.

Takamaru uses shuriken and magic too. He's also very diligent. Goroh is really reckless though, and you could give him a pistol and it wouldn't be out of context since the guy's realistically a bandit before he is a samurai anyway.

Don't expect the roster to be 50, because Sakurai said that there will be less newcomers this time around and would rather focus on balancing the current roster we have from Brawl. I suspect cutting some characters until the number of the roster is somewhere in the late 30s or early 40s.
He said the same thing before Brawl and we still got 14 characters. He always forgets that the characters are what sells the game. I think 50 characters is the most that could be achieved, and this is with all the Brawl cast returning which is what I was going for. a 40-45 range is the most likely, but pushing for a 50 is not impossible at all, since he never intended to remove any Melee character bar Pichu. (Sonic was the reason Doctor, Roy and Mewtwo were scrapped.) Also, he said that before the game was outsourced to Namco Bandai, and if Tekken Tag Tour 2 is anything to go by, a 50 character roster and a balanced one is not far-off at all. (TTT2 is hilariously more balanced than Super Street Fighter 4.)

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
He said the same thing before Brawl and we still got 14 characters. He always forgets that the characters are what sells the game. I think 50 characters is the most that could be achieved, and this is with all the Brawl cast returning which is what I was going for. a 40-45 range is the most likely, but pushing for a 50 is not impossible at all, since he never intended to remove any Melee character bar Pichu. (Sonic was the reason Doctor, Roy and Mewtwo were scrapped.) Also, he said that before the game was outsourced to Namco Bandai, and if Tekken Tag Tour 2 is anything to go by, a 50 character roster and a balanced one is not far-off at all. (TTT2 is hilariously more balanced than Super Street Fighter 4.)

I wish that was true, but a friend of mine from BMGF, who is a mod and an expert on the video game industry, believes the roster will be the same number as Brawl's, which is 35, with severe character cuts to make room for newcomers. These are the characters he believes will be cut: Luigi, Ganondorf (replaced by Ghirahim), Toon Link, Ice Climbers, R.O.B., Olimar (replaced by a Pikmin 3 protagonist), Lucario (replaced by a current gen Pokemon), Jigglypuff, Ike (replaced by Chrom), and Mr. Game & Watch. As much as I don't like this idea, it should be considered for us Smash players, as he fully analyzed the article containing Sakurai's quote.

Dansparce

The Unbeatable
Years
I wish that was true, but a friend of mine from BMGF, who is a mod and an expert on the video game industry, believes the roster will be the same number as Brawl's, which is 35, with severe character cuts to make room for newcomers. These are the characters he believes will be cut: Luigi, Ganondorf (replaced by Ghirahim), Toon Link, Ice Climbers, R.O.B., Olimar (replaced by a Pikmin 3 protagonist), Lucario (replaced by a current gen Pokemon), Jigglypuff, Ike (replaced by Chrom), and Mr. Game & Watch. As much as I don't like this idea, it should be considered for us Smash players, as he fully analyzed the article containing Sakurai's quote.

I severely doubt they're gonna cut Luigi from the roster. It is the Year of Luigi after all, so removing him from the next Smash Bros seems kind of stupid to leave him out. I'd prefer it if his move-set was changed to use the Poltergust 3000 for his attacks, rather then have the same moves as Mario. As for Ganondorf, I wouldn't mind if he was removed as long as they made whoever replaces him fun to play as.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Yeah, I would put zero stock in theories in which Luigi is cut out. He's getting more focus than ever, LM2 came out this year and he's also getting his version of SMBs on the Wii U and also further focus on the next partners game. He's not going anywhere.

Ganondorf and Jigglypuff are two others I don't expect to leave.
I'd prefer it if his move-set was changed to use the Poltergust 3000 for his attacks, rather then have the same moves as Mario.
Agreed.

Back