• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

VGC Team

Chocolate™

Awesome Dragon
Years
Introduction:

Hello there guys! My name is TD and you'll guys might have seen me around in this part of the Forum once in a while. With the VGCs approaching, I've decided to make a team preparing for it. This team is balanced with 2 bulky mons and with 4 other sweepers. It's done well in Showdown and I'm planning to breed the mons onto my game. So without any further talk let's get on with it!

Team:

Scizor (M) @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 100 Spd / 252 Atk / 86 SDef / 32 HP
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- X-Scissor
- Protect

What better way to start this than to show the MVP, M-Scizor. He's a monster and the fairy counter of my team. I've set up this in such a way that he has good bulk, extremely high Attack and a bit of speed. For those of you'll who are wondering why I've not added defense IVs, M-Scizor has an extremely high defense stat that needs absolutely no investment to function properly. Scizor works well along with Meowstic as a lead and absolutely loves setting up with Swords Dance on M-Kanghaskan. Bullet Punch and X-Scissor are two very strong STAB moves. Lastly, Protect is essential for most pokemon in doubles.

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Steel Wing
- Protect

Gale Wings Talonflame is the most common and one of the deadliest pokemon in the VGC metagame. The EV spread explains itself quite well and as a hyper offensive pokemon, Talonflame just murders things with this spread. Although, I've considered putting Roost on this Talonflame, the Life Orb works just fine. Priorty Brave Bird can kill anything (with a weakness to it) under the sun. Flare Blitz is one insanely powerful move that's good against Aegislash. Steel Wing can hit fairy types quite hard and Protect does you know what.

Amoonguss @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Clear Smog
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Protect

Most people tend to attack Amoonguss with special moves, hence the Careful Nature. The EV spread provides it with maximum bulk and enable it to survive hits. As there's always the danger of it getting into low health, there's a Sitrus Berry and the ability Regenerator. Clear Smog is a good attacking option for Amoonguss and helps it to reduce any sweeper that has set up to it's usual base stats. Spore helps to put other pokemon to sleep and Rage Powder works great along with Scizor enabling it to set up easily.

Meowstic (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 SAtk / 252 HP
Timid Nature
- Fake Out
- Psyshock
- Quick Guard
- Thunder Wave

Meowstic is quite literally the backbone of my team. I've used him in every match till now and he's always been useful. Meowstic in truth, is the best Prankster user in VGC all because of his brilliant speed and access to Fake Out. Thunder Wave allows him to easily cripple any sweepers who've already set up. Quick Guard is the best way to stop Talonflame right in it's tracks. Psyshock is a nice way to get some damage right onto his enemies.

Goodra (F)@ Assault Vest
Ability: Gooey
EVs: 252 SAtk / 188 Spd / 64 HP / 4 Def
Bold Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Focus Blast
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Bomb

Goodra is a monster. Assault Vest allows Goodra to have monstrous Special Defense and allows it to survive Choice Specs' Draco Meteor from Goodras. All the moves give it great coverage and need not be explained.

Gyarados @ Lum Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge

Gyrados' aim is simple. Switch in, scare the hell outa' any physical sweepers with Intimidate. Then set up with Dragon Dance and kill Talonflame and Mega Charizard Y, who is the most dangerous threat to my team.

Tyrael

This is a Sailor's Prayer
Years
Alright so, I see a few things that really hurt your team. Mega Manectric, Rotom-W, and Rotom-H are the main things, but pretty much anything that gets coverage as good as those three would hurt your team a lot. Intimidate/Burn really hurt your team a lot as well.

As for specific Pokemon.. Mega Scizor isn't really use in the Meta because it's just not that good. Things like Rotom-H, Mega Manectric, Talonflame, and really anything else that runs a Fire move will demolish it. Personally, I would say that Mega Manectric/Kangaskhan are better used as your Mega, because of Intimidate and raw power respectively.

Manectric @ Manectite
Timid Nature
Trait: Lightningrod
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Speed
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- HP Ice
- Protect

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Jolly/Adamant Nature
Trait: Scrappy
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed (Adamant or Jolly) or 192 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 60 Speed (Jolly)
- Fake Out/Protect
- Return/Facade
- Power-Up Punch
- Sucker Punch

The second Jolly spread on Mega Kanga lets it outspeed max speed+non-Scarf Smeargle so it can OHKO before Dark Void.

For your Talonflame, the EV spread is a bit off. It should be running 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Speed. This let's it outpace Meinshao in the Quick Guard/Fake Out war. The only thing that even outspeeds Talonflame priority-wise is Weavile, but there's no way to make it outspeed Weavile, other than max speed+Jolly. Instead of Steel Wing you could also be running U-Turn, this would work well with Mega Manectric, giving you a bit of a VoltSwitch thing going on. Alternatively you could just run Quick Guard to help out against Fake Out from anything.

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
Trait: Gale Wings
44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Speed
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-Turn/Quick Guard
- Protect

Your Meowstic set is all wrong as well. Instead of Timid, it should really either be Bold or Calm(depending on where you want the most bulk to go). Some sets you should probably consider are the Dual Screen set or the Safeguard/Swagger set.

Meowstic-M @ Light Clay
Calm/Bold Nature
Trait: Prankster
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD (Bold) or 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def (Calm)
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Swagger/Quick Guard/Safeguard
- Fake Out

Meowstic-M @ Leftovers/Sitrus Berry
Calm/Bold Nature
Trait: Prankster
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD (Bold) or 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def (Calm)
- Safeguard
- Swagger
- Fake Out
- Quick Guard/Light Screen/Reflect

Amoongus has been a useful Pokemon in VGC, but it's use has went down quite a bit this Gen because lack of TR team. Instead of Amoongus, you could run Ludicolo. It doesn't have status, but it's got a good bit of variety to what you can run on it so not everyone would be expecting what set you choose to run.

Ludicolo @ Assault Vest
Calm Nature
Trait: Rain Dish
252 HP / 48 Def / 12 SpA / 196 Def
- Fake Out
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Giga Drain

Ludicolo @ Sitrus Berry
Calm Nature
Trait: Rain Dish
252 HP / 48 Def / 12 SpA / 196 Def
- Protect
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Giga Drain

As something for your weaknesses, there really aren't a whole lot of ways to get around Mega Manectric+Rotom, but Mamoswine does a decent job against Manectric and the Ludicolo set I gave you above does a pretty good job against either Rotom form.

Mamoswine @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Icicle Crash
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

Mamo also gives you a pretty good answer to any Dragon that people will use, since you also have nothing that does good against Dragons.

This is really all I feel like doing on this review, hopefully someone else can come along and finish this up xD

Back