• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

3rd Gen A top 5 for best pokemon in Ruby version?

Sephirothxx

Likes Ruby version
Years
Hey guys. I'm torn between decisions of the at least the top 5 best pokemon (statistically and moveset-wise) in Ruby version. If you guys could post top 5's or even top 6,7 or all the way up to 10 (however I prefer to keep it under 7) I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

/discuss

Sirfetch’d

IMO, the top 5 best available Pokemon in Ruby(for battles) are:
Latios
Blaziken
Breloom
Alakazam
Walrein
There are tons that are amazing. Just personal preference. BTW Castform is Amazing! Give him a chance.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Five Pokemon I always find myself using in RSE in one way or another:
1. Blaziken
2. Ludicolo
3. Gardevoir
4. Altaria
5. Flygon

There are lots of good Pokemon in RSE though, like Alakazam, Salamence, Sableye, SO MANYZ OMG. But these 5 are my personal best in these games, I'd say. I almost always have at least one of them.

#isthenumbersign
Years
Agreed with many of be above, mainly Blaziken, Salamence, Flygon. And you can never go wrong with the trade evos like Alakazam, Machamp, Golem. And statistically, Slaking is really good. Its ability sucks though.

marcc5m

what
Years
My favourites are, in no particular order:

Sableye
Ludicolo
Flygon
Altaria
Aggron

Flygon is my favourite Pokémon, Altaria is so freakin' cute, Aggron is a badass, Sableye is so creepy he's cool and somehow I always find myself with a Ludicolo on my team.

Years
Well, depending on the type of fight (single and then double) these would be it:

Singles:

Aggron
Shiftry
Zangoose
Altaria
Manectric/Swampert/Walrein/Solrock/Linoone/Gardevoir/Sharpedo

Aggron is a powerhouse who can learn quite a few extra attacks thanks to TMs (you could actually use it in every fight in the E4 and not go wrong). If you do not evolve Nuzleaf for a while and teach it Extrasensory, Shiftry is a beast. Zangoose is strong and destructive, but even more so when you use Sword Dance. Altaria because it can learn a huge amount of attacks (mainly through TMs though) and it's pre-evolution, Swablu, it pretty easy to find. I put so many down for the last one because any of them will make a good pokemon.

Doubles:

Slaking
Dusclops
Blaziken
Kingdra/Flygon
Wobbuffet

I know there isn't that many Double Battles in Ruby but one of the gym leaders do double battles and it pretty dang hard. I chose Slaking for it's extreme strength; it could easily be a 1 Hit KO when using him but you have to watch out for his ability. Dusclops because he is a ghost-type, which gives him more resistances than normal but also for his bulky defense and having him use Skill Swap with Slaking makes it all the better. Blaziken for the same great strength but also for it's speed and wide move selection. Kingdra because you can get one faster than a Salamence and can be evolved faster than Flygon if you can trade. If not, Flygon is the way to go for a Dragon type. As much as some people dislike Wobbuffet, it can be a godsend when it actually counters the opponents attacks. Add that to it's bulkiness and high HP and you can use him to stall attacks as well.

Sephirothxx

Likes Ruby version
Years
Ooh that was a lengthy post. Thanks for the help.

I'm raising a team for competitive play, but I can't take my team to any competitive battles since ruby is out of the competitive scene. So when I eventually get a ds with hgss or something I wanna clone my team by trading it to emerald, then migraitng the cloned team and testing it's mettle. Sound like a plan?

Years
Ooh that was a lengthy post. Thanks for the help.

I'm raising a team for competitive play, but I can't take my team to any competitive battles since ruby is out of the competitive scene. So when I eventually get a ds with hgss or something I wanna clone my team by trading it to emerald, then migraitng the cloned team and testing it's mettle. Sound like a plan?

Well, if you're going to do that (and I think it's a good idea) you might want some heart scales because Gen IV/V has upgraded their move pool with better (or worst) attacks. Good luck though!

Sephirothxx

Likes Ruby version
Years
Well, if you're going to do that (and I think it's a good idea) you might want some heart scales because Gen IV/V has upgraded their move pool with better (or worst) attacks. Good luck though!

Well if I need heart scales I have 1 in ruby I can just clone it to the amount of my liking ;D and then put them in hgss.

Years
  • Seen Jun 5, 2013
There are actually a good amount of powerful pokemon in Ruby but i'll just name a few of my favorites.
Machamp
Rayquaza
Alakazam
Blakizen
Exploud
i also really like Shiftry

Sephirothxx

Likes Ruby version
Years
Wow guys these are really helpful. I saved a copy of the page to my jumpdrive for future reference when I'm building teams.

Years
  • Seen Feb 18, 2013
1. Metagross
2. Ludicolo
3. Blaziken
4. Aggron
5. Altaria

Ludicolo would be number 1 if it weren't for Metagross' meteor mash. Ludicolo is bad ass just because it's two opposing types and can learn almost any move.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I still stand by RSE having the best Pokemon. There were so many huge introductions in this generation, which is why it's one of my favorites.

In-game, I found the following completely dominated it.

• Breloom
  • Swellow
  • Aggron
  • Swampert
  • Salamence

So many more that could probably be listed include Metagross, Blaziken, Gardevoir, Sharpedo, and so on.

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
I'm going to be biased and just post my in-game team since they were pretty beast. I beat the game not too long ago actually. I'd say all of them are actually pretty good except for Tropius, he's just a favorite of mine lol.

Blaziken
Tropius
Flygon
Crawdaunt
Medicham

Left out Relicanth because frankly, he sucked. ;P

Back