• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

We have always been cyborgs.

outfox

in
Years
  • Seen Feb 25, 2013
When the topic of artificial intelligence crops up, many jump to the conclusion that, once a machine becomes more intelligent than its maker, the world as humans know it is doomed.

I can't help but think that for a machine to have intelligence greater than that of a human it must also have tolerance for other life forms greater than that of a human. Is this dangerous thinking? Does anyone have a positive outlook on the growth of the AI field? Even deeper, has our species already accomplished singularity? Timothy Lenoir wrote a compelling article arguing that singularity took place when our brains evolved the capacity for abstract symbolic representation, paving the way for diverse culture, complex social organizations, technology, and further evolution of knowledge. Agree? Disagree?

Anyway, the race to achieving technological singularity continues to get tighter. So, how long til humans end up in zoos? My bet's on no longer than a century.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
We can create robots to do certain type of things, but it also has it's limits.

If a human thinks it's robot is way more intelligent than himself, he would surely destroy it before it get's to do anything.

And anyways, I don't think we need to worry about anything happening to us like in Terminator, my toaster can't even toast a bread proerly.

von Weltschmerz

the first born unicorn
Years
  • Seen Feb 18, 2013
Robots, are just that. Robots. They think in patterns and are easily manipulated. The same for most people, but humans tend to be a bit more intuitive than that. Furthermore, I don't think anybody would create such robots without creating some easy way to deactivate them.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Robots, are just that. Robots. They think in patterns and are easily manipulated. The same for most people, but humans tend to be a bit more intuitive than that. Furthermore, I don't think anybody would create such robots without creating some easy way to deactivate them.

Don't be so sure about that. Robots can evolve, just like humans, so they'll find a way to remove the one thing that deactivates. There's a reason why people believe Cleverbot will someday take over the world.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015

Robots now think in patterns and are easily manipulated. What makes you think that technology will never advance to include intuition, randomness, and all human-like traits?

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
What if robots used their intelligence for something other than malice and control? And in turn we learn that true intelligence is thinking beyond your own selfish desires? Advanced artificial intelligence could be the most peaceful, kindest thing and could have the most positive influence on our society. I think humans fear the malicious capabilities of intelligence out of guilt for what we've done to nature.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
If robots taught us how to preserve the Earth better, then that would really be helpful^^
Also teaching us how to create better technology and whatnot. Humans and robots living in perfect harmony.

Lol, sounds like the movie Irobot.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
This reminds me of The Matrix. As long as we didn't give robots physical power, we'd be good. But if we had AI installed into machine guns and then they thought humans were bad, we'd be killed by smart machine guns, haha! Robots help us with lots of stuff, but humans are the ones who have to keep them in check.

Well not just physical power. There's rudimentary AI in stock buying and selling, and that was part of the cause of the stock crash in 1987. No physical power there, but a lot of power in what they do.

zephyr6257

Hi. I'm strange. Kthnxbye. :)
Years
Making robots more powerful than us... hm, is a bit far-fetched.

It makes a sort of paradox, because the maker has to be greater than the product. If not, the maker will have no idea what he had made, and the product would fall into ruins.

Making robots into something similar like us, is possible, but will take a lot of time. From there on, they could advance themselves, with sufficient knowledge, but seems still like a challenge for humans to build it.

I would like to think that the only way for robots to become something or greater than us is if aliens visit us and give us awesome alien-blueprints on how to make robots.

:3

Years
I wonder how many of you know that Siri (The iphone program from the company of the same name) used to be the largest A.I. project in the world before Apple bought it?

At the rate our technology advances, I'd say maybe another 20-30 years at the most before we see complex A.I and/or complex biomechanics. I want my robot Jedi arm like Luke had.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
It always makes me laugh a little when I see films about the evil AI who aim to exterminate humanity. I would think that if programming was that advanced, then it would be extensive enough to prevent any possibility of barbaric murder.

Technology is our present and future and it's only helped us thus far, there's no reason to be fearful of it advancing. We have complete control over technology and always will; the intelligence of our computers is measured by the intelligence of our scientists.

Humans maintain complete control and always will. Whenever your computer comes up saying you don't have the required permission, it's only two clicks away from wiping that data entirely.

As for the article, I read it, I have nothing much to say on it.

Years
What if robots used their intelligence for something other than malice and control? And in turn we learn that true intelligence is thinking beyond your own selfish desires? Advanced artificial intelligence could be the most peaceful, kindest thing and could have the most positive influence on our society. I think humans fear the malicious capabilities of intelligence out of guilt for what we've done to nature.

This.
I think humans are afraid of higher beings than ourselves. Why do you think that for centuries we've prayed to appease various "Gods".
Aliens are another example. Any extra-terrestrial being that makes it to Earth will no doubt have higher intellectual properties than ourselves which is scary. Who knows what sort of machines and weapons they bring (If any weapons at all).

Let's take for example the evolution of humans. Generally and with a few exceptions, physical violence is reduced dramatically the more intelligent a random group of humans are. I myself am quite intelligent and there is very little chance you'll find me fighting anyone ever, even someone I know I could best. Whereas the more violent humans use it as an attempt to resolve a conflict they see no other resolution with. Higher intelligence = higher conflict resolving capabilities.

If anything Aliens, Gods, and Artificial intelligence should fear us. For we are the more primitive group and are relatively prone to relatively spontaneous violent episodes.

roosterman

Freaking annoying!
Years
as long as i have my shotgun, no alien or computer is Superior to me. besides, i'm with everyone else saying smarter people don't fight as much. of coarse, even the smartest people can be provoked.

KriegStein

Nuclear Reactor
Years
Hmm. Robots evolving over humans. Well theres a nice thought. I suspect that in some point the definition between a "human" and a "robot" will come to a halt. Meanimg that in some point we resemble robots so much and viceversa that we cant be separated. This could happen with new biomechanics and other applications. As for AI.s ruling the world...I could see that happen. An AI as a benevolent dictator is something that will propably happen. At some point humans will of course feel threatend by their robots growing stronger and wiser. At that point it is determined how humanity will proceed. a war against machines, a peacefull symbiosis or a complete wipeout of human life. Either way I hope some of us would see the birth of a first thinking cyborg... Sigh... Qnd biotechnical arms are always nice... Exept the part when you have to rehabilitate the muscles and all that. :/

Back