• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Aging in the games

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
Years
A thread made me think of this today. What if your character aged as your story progressed? I'm not sure how it would be implemented exactly, but maybe that can be the discution of this thread?

I was thinking that, instead of getting your pokemon as an extremely sheltered 10-15 year old whose never left his/her house for fear of going in the tall grass lol you get your pokemon at a young age, and have to play through a sequence where your parents teach you all about pokemon.
Maybe you live on a farm or something and at the end of the scene (When your character is around 5-6, you end up wandering off on your own with your starter and end up getting lost, or attacked by wild pokemon, and have a "close call" or what have you. After you find your way home and have your "mini adventure" you would go out on your standard romp taking on all the gyms and such.

Latter on, if they wanted to continue with this feature, instead of having a second region to continue the game after the league (Beating the league at the standard 10-15ish), you could have a sequence that skips along a few years, in the same region with slight differences, where the story is continued for a time

I don't know, just putting ideas down. What do you think, and how would you do it?

Sandshrew4

Also known as Sandwich
Years
That would be pretty cool, I really like how the region would change/progress after the main goal is accomplished. Then the rivals and gym leaders could age/change. This is a cool idea!

QuickSilveri

Veteran
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Feb 17, 2017
I think it was my thread lol.
Personally, I think that would be amazing gameplay and plot setting.
It would be especially great for newbies in the series, young kids and the like.

The only issue I see is the age discrepancy. You do bring up a good point that the game we play now centers around a "sheltered" kid, but what would be the draw of an (example) 18 or 22y/o to play a game in which you start as a 5y/o?

Otherwise, its a great idea. Im not very creative (imagination of a rock, roughly) so im not going to cloud the waters with my ideas. (mainly because i dont have any lol)

I really want to see what you guys come up with.

Regards, Chris

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
Years
Ya, I was picturing the "5-6 sequence" being more of an intro kinda thing, something like the time span of 25 minutes or so. Obviously the idea of growing to a higher age would be more of the draw, rather than the younger age, which is more of a plot device

Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Jul 13, 2013
An interesting idea.
Perhaps instead of the "sheltered" early teen, you play as a children that was raised in a more "developed" region of the Pokémon universe. Somewhere like New York City where it is not likely to run into many Pokémon or need to go on adventures.
Your grandparents run a PokéFarm in the country. This could where the main game begins as well as the intro mini adventure takes place at a younger age. Picking your starter Pokémon as an egg about to hatch at the start of the mini adventure. The Pokémon could become your friend in a "growing up" vacation cut scene.
Some event draws you back to the farm in your mid to late teens to start the game's main story.

Back