• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Human characters or Pokémon themselves

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
There isn't much character development for the Pokémon, I don't feel, so I prefer the actual characters.

Years
Whether it be the games, anime, etc., I much prefer the Pokemon themselves to any human characters. Looking at it from the perspective of "what would happen if one or the other no longer existed in the franchise," I'd be much more interested in following the Pokemon than the characters that the franchise created (which is why I think games like Mystery Dungeon have been met with certain levels of success).

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
There isn't much character development for the Pokémon, I don't feel, so I prefer the actual characters.

That's the unfortunate truth to the series, but alternatively its greatest asset. I'd love Pokemon so much more officially if they spent more time making the creatures interesting.

ON THE OTHER HAND...

Since they're all bland and generic because each Pokemon is part of a species and not an individual, it allows fans (like myself :P) to come up with their own interesting versions of the creatures (even within the same species). It's probably one of the most open franchises for fans to use their imaginations.

To answer the question though, I don't think I've ever cared about the humans, save for the Team Rocket Trio. As I always say, if I wanna play with kids in hats, I'll play EarthBound. Otherwise, I'm in it for the monsters.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
I don't find the characters interesting in anything I've consumed (pretty much just anime and the games--I did like the characters in the manga but each time I try to read it, I never get very far). They're pretty bland and you have to try so hard to force any real personality or development on them. That's fine for some people but I don't like to embellish characters THAT much to make me like them. (To be fair, the games have gotten better at character creation but it's still a far cry from making characters I'm really interested in meeting.)

So I stick to liking the Pokemon. They just create those and let them loose so it's very sandboxy. I can make my own character, give him/her their own Pokemon, and let my imagine loose with absolutely no restraints. It's a lot more fun for me so I don't pay the human characters in any of the Pokemon series any mind and I just concentrate on the Pokemon.

Back