• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

First Shot at a Competitive Team Build, Please Rate

Years
  • Seen Apr 17, 2016
First Shot at a Competitive Team Build (Gen IV), Please Rate

EDIT: This is a Gen IV team, sorry for not specifying earlier.

I've been playing Pokemon for a while now and I really want to get into competitive battling. Please offer some advice on how I could build a strong team. Here is what I have planned for so far:

Skarmory @ Leftovers (252 HP, 4 Def, 252 Sp.D) Careful / Impish Nature w/ Keen Eye

- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Roost
- Brave Bird
This is the team leader and my main physical wall. My goal with Skarmory is to simply set up spikes and use whirlwind as much as necessary, heal with roost, and inflict sufficient damage with brave bird when necessary.

Snorlax @ Leftovers (188 HP, 104 Def, 216 Sp.D) Careful / Sassy Nature w/ Thick Fat
- Body Slam
- Curse
- Earthquake
- Rest
Snorlax is my special wall, but also a physical tank. Curse will up his Atk and Def while only inhibiting his already slow speed. Hopefully I can pull a successful sweep even though he is primarily my special wall. My question is, should I replace Earthquake with Sleep Talk?

Blissey @ Leftovers (252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Spe) Bold Nature w/ Natural Cure
- Aromatherapy
- Softboiled
- Flamethrower
- Toxic
Blissey will serve as the team's cleric, annoyer, and another special wall. Aromatherapy to heal my team, softboiled to aid herself, and toxic to help dwindle down opponents' HP while she's busy flamethrowing and softboiling. Should I replace one of these moves with something that enhances her defense?

Gyarados @ Leftovers (252 Atk, 4 Def, 252 Spe) Adamant / Jolly Nature w/ Intimidate
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
I absolutely had to include Gyarados in this team just because I'm in love this beautiful Pokemon. Physical sweeper, am I doing anything wrong here?

Dragonite @ Life Orb (252 Atk, 4 Def, 252 Spe) Adamant / Jolly Nature w/ Inner Focus
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
I chose Dragonite as a secondary physical sweeper due to his excellent move pool and great stats. This is, however, one Pokemon I am willing to switch for another excellent physical sweeper. Any suggestions?

Magmortar @ Expert Belt (16 HP, 252 Sp.A, 240 Spe) Timid / Modest Nature w/ Flame Body
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
Last but not least, my special sweeper. Great move pool, burns foes on contact, and will inflict massive damage with super effective attacks. This is another pokemon though that I am willing to change for a better special sweeper. Really looking for an element of surprise with my special sweeper, seriously thinking about Sub/Nasty Plot Jynx.

Any Ideas you can give to help build this team would be greatly appreciated. I just feel like I'm missing something really important. Thanks guys!

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Is this a Gen IV or V team?

Blissey is a better special wall than Snorlax is. Setting up Curse with Snorlax is getting tougher each generation. Assuming Gen IV, Bronzong is generally a better option because of its superior typing:
-Stealth Rock
-Hidden Power (Ice)/Gyro Ball
-Payback
-Earthquake/Explosion/Hypnosis
Nature: Sassy
EVs: 252 HP/84 Atk/80 Def/92 SDef
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Levitate

Assuming Gen V, Ferrothorn is the better option, as it has the typing and bulk to stack hazards:
-Spikes/Stealth Rock
-Leech Seed
-Gyro Ball/Thunder Wave/Protect
-Power Whip/Protect
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP/88 Def/168 SDef
Item: Leftovers/Shed Shell

In Gen V, 4 HP/252 Def/252 SDef is the better spread for Blissey, as its HP is high enough already.

In Gen V, Dragonite is best off with Multiscale as its ability; the preferred held item should be Lum Berry or Leftovers so as not to ruin Multiscale.

Magmortar doesn't cut it as a special attacker in both Gen IV and V. While it has a good movepool, its average Speed and Stealth Rock weakness hold it back. Heatran is the better option over it. While it's slower than Magmortar, it hits slightly harder than Magmortar and it also has good defenses and defensive typing:
-Lava Plume
-Will-o-Wisp/Toxic
-Roar/Stealth Rock
-Protect
Nature: Calm
EVs: 248 HP/252 SDef/8 Spe

or
-Fire Blast
-Earth Power
-Hidden Power (Ice/Grass)/Dragon Pulse
-Stealth Rock/Flame Charge/Taunt/Substitute
Nature: Timid/Modest
EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Air Balloon

or
-Substitute
-Fire Blast
-Earth Power
-Toxic
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe

or
-Overheat
-Flamethrower
-Earth Power
-Hidden Power (Ice)/Dragon Pulse/Explosion
Nature: Timid/Modest/Rash/Naive
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Choice Scarf

or
-Substitute
-Torment
-Lava Plume
-Protect
Nature: Calm
EVs: 244 HP/44 SDef/220 Spe

or
-Overheat/Fire Blast
-Dragon Pulse
-Earth Power
-Hidden Power (Grass)/Flamethrower
Nature: Modest/Timid
EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Choice Specs

Volcanix769

Known as the Quilava Guy!
Years
As I noticed some errors on your team:

Gyarados is mainly a Physical Sweeper, so why would you give it 252 SP ATK if you taught it normal moves? And here how it should be:

Spoiler:

Ehh..... Blissey. It's ok using her since you need a Special annoying wall. I prefer Forretress for entry hazards and Explosion, but that's good. But here's how it should be:

Spoiler:

Skarmory is a good idea. It has many resistances and is a Physical Wall. But you placed the EV at the wrong places. And you need a STAB Steel Type since you have no Pokemon with them.

Spoiler:

Dragonite is very good as well. You did place the EVs in the right place along with the moveset. And here's how it should be though:

Spoiler:

Snorlax...... There's nothing wrong with the way you set it up, but I have a personal opinion on the moveset:

Spoiler:

Magmortar, the Cannon Blaster. If you want to be competitive, give it a bit of resistance by adding status moves.

Spoiler:

Back