• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Critique My Ghosts

Itzal

Ghost Trainer
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Jan 1, 2017
I find I have trouble deciding on which ghosts to use, let alone sticking with a decision. I've tried many combinations with many movesets (using many Heart Scales and what TMs I have available), but nothing ever seems quite right.

My strengths are in direct battling. I can handle moves like Will-O-Wisp and Rest, but other than that I don't know what I'm doing if I'm not pummelling my opponent with heavy hitting direct attacks. I need help deciding once and for all on a team of ghost Pokémon that is strong enough to put on a fierce battle, but with a moveset that isn't going to make me pull my hair out.

Any thoughts, anyone?

The team I'm currently attempting to compile is:

Spiritomb @ BrightPowder
Modest
Mummy
1. Shadow Ball
2. Dark Pulse
3. Will-O-Wisp
4. Psychic

Jellicent @ Rocky Helmet
Bold
Cursed Body
1. Shadow Ball
2. Hydro Pump
3. Recover
4. Ice Beam

Drifblim @ None
Naive
Aftermath
1. Shadow Ball
2. Acrobatics
3. Psychic
4. Thunder

Gengar @ Black Sludge
Modest
Levitate
1. Shadow Ball
2. Sludge Bomb
3. Focus Blast
4. Energy Ball

Chandelure @ Shell Bell
Modest
Flame Body
1. Shadow Ball
2. Fire Blast
3. Psychic
4. Energy Ball

Dusknoir @ Leftovers
Adamant
Pressure
1. Shadow Punch
2. Rock Slide
3. Brick Break
4. Earthquake

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
It may be a good idea to give your Pokemon EVs. For Cofagrigus, I'd use this, since Double Team is looked down upon in competitive battling:
-Rest
-Haze
-Will-o-Wisp
-Shadow Ball/Hex
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/136 Def/120 SDef
Item: Leftovers

Froslass makes a good lead, but Team Preview ruins that. Still, it's a good one:
-Spikes
-Taunt
-Destiny Bond
-Ice Beam
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Leftovers/Focus Sash
Ability: Snow Cloak

Using physical attacks on Jellicent is a bad idea due to its low Attack. This makes the most out of its defensive capabilities:
-Scald/Surf
-Will-o-Wisp
-Recover
-Taunt/Ice Beam/Shadow Ball
Nature: Bold
EVs: 248 HP/216 Def/44 Spe
Item: Leftovers

Golurk is best off with Choice Band as its item:
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Hammer Arm
-Shadow Punch/Toxic
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 208 HP/252 Atk/48 Spe
Item: Choice Band
Ability: Iron Fist

Drifblim isn't very good to be honest. I'd have Gengar due to its wide move pool:
-Substitute
-Disable/Pain Split
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Leftovers/Life Orb

Chandelure is best as an all-out attacker:
-Overheat/Fire Blast
-Shadow Ball
-Hidden Power (Fighting)
-Energy Ball
Nature: Modest/Timid
EVs: 72 HP/252 SAtk/184 Spe (Choice Specs) or 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe (Choice Scarf)
Item: Choice Specs/Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire

Itzal

Ghost Trainer
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Jan 1, 2017
Thanks for the feedback, but did I mention I'm not looking to get into competitive battling? I also notice you didn't give Froslass any Ghost attacks. Intentional? Lastly, I'm honestly not very fond of moves that rely too heavily on luck. I like pokemon and moves that are reliable.

Still, I'll give your suggestions some thought. Feel free to make any additional suggestions or modify your previous one.

EDIT: Why Flash Fire instead of Flame Body on Chandelure?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Thanks for the feedback, but did I mention I'm not looking to get into competitive battling? I also notice you didn't give Froslass any Ghost attacks. Intentional? Lastly, I'm honestly not very fond of moves that rely too heavily on luck. I like pokemon and moves that are reliable.

Still, I'll give your suggestions some thought. Feel free to make any additional suggestions or modify your previous one.

EDIT: Why Flash Fire instead of Flame Body on Chandelure?

Flash Fire is there on Chandelure because it gives it another opportunity to switch in. Even though it's already resistant to Fire, Flash Fire boosts its Fire moves when hit by a Fire move instead of damaging it. That, and Flame Body doesn't activate whenever you want it to all the time.

Ice Beam is Froslass' lone attack because if it opts to use Shadow Ball as its only move, it's walled by Normal Pokemon. Also, the Froslass set I posted isn't meant to sweep, only to support.

Itzal

Ghost Trainer
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Jan 1, 2017
Flash Fire is there on Chandelure because it gives it another opportunity to switch in. Even though it's already resistant to Fire, Flash Fire boosts its Fire moves when hit by a Fire move instead of damaging it. That, and Flame Body doesn't activate whenever you want it to all the time.

Ice Beam is Froslass' lone attack because if it opts to use Shadow Ball as its only move, it's walled by Normal Pokemon. Also, the Froslass set I posted isn't meant to sweep, only to support.

I see, and the Choice items?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I see, and the Choice items?
Choice Scarf makes up for Chandelure's average Speed, while Choice Specs makes it hit harder right off the bat without setting up Calm Mind.

Choice Band is on Golurk because it doesn't have a way to boost its Attack.

Itzal

Ghost Trainer
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Jan 1, 2017
Choice Scarf makes up for Chandelure's average Speed, while Choice Specs makes it hit harder right off the bat without setting up Calm Mind.

Choice Band is on Golurk because it doesn't have a way to boost its Attack.

I must say, being limitted to a single move is worrysome, but on a sweeper I suppose it isn't that big a deal now I think about it.

Speaking of thinking, I've decided on my 6 pokemon. It'll be the 5th-gen four, Gengar to pay homage to the original, and Spiritomb simply because it's my two favorite types and I just like it.

Moves are still up for discussion. [/general thread note]

EDIT: I've updated my team in the first post. Also, when I say "diverse", I mean in terms of the offensive move types. I want to be able to get super effective hits against as many foes as possible, but at the same time I want to work in a few status attacks. The thing for which I'm seeking input now is any major holes in the new team and how to best cover for them.

EDIT 2: The first post has been revised.

Last edited:

Itzal

Ghost Trainer
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Jan 1, 2017
After giving it some thought, I'm "re-opening" this thread. Please see the updated first post.

Also, my signature reflects the team I'm considering at any given time, to give you something to go off of.

Back