• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Logic (?)

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Dec 9, 2020
I was thinking about "Pokemon's Physic" in the game and so I've developed some theories:

1) WATER AND ICE POKEMON: according with the nature Ice is just water in solid form, so i don't understand this distinction at all, anyway I think that all the Ice pokemons should have Water as second type to be fair

2)POCK AND STEEL POKEMON: I know that stell is different from a rock but the rocks are unions of different kind of mineral so I think that Steel is a type too specific, so it shouldn't exist xD. Also Fire type attacks should be super-effective aganist rock pokemons because every mineral has is melting point, this fact is stressed by some descriptions in the TCG :
Spoiler:

3) NORMAL AND FLYING POKEMONS: Normal type represent . . . ? I don't find a reason why this type should exist, I mean it isn't super-effective aganist anybody, and the Normal Pokemon (witj the exception of some) are weak.
Another strange fact is that all the "birds" Pokemons have "Normal" as second type, why? i really really don't understand this, what they have in common an eagle (Pidgeot) with an annoying mouse (Raticate)? Nothing. In the real world birds eat mouse.

4) DARK AND GHOST POKEMON: as for the prevoius points: it's sure that a ghost is supposed to live in dark places, so Ghost type shouldn't exist ( I don't hate Ghost pokemon, because i like Gengar, but I'm just saying that the type is irrational)

5) PHSYCIC POKEMON: According with the Enlightened thinkers "man can overcome doubt and modify reality as he want trusting in his reason and common sense" (xD) the Phsycic type represent the power of the mind so they should be super-effective aganist all the Type, because man managed to controll all the elements, to find an antidote for all the poisons, to catch all the bugs/birds and to illuminate the dark places.

6) LIGHT TYPE POKEMON: I believe it would be very nice (and more rational) if there were any light type pokemon; their attacks shoul be super-effective aganist Dark type and also they would be different from Elettric Pokemon because electricity dosen't mean light, just think about the sun; (some examples of this type: Sunkern Evolution line/ Ho-Oh/ Solrock/ Clefairy Evolution line/ Togepi Evolution line and others . . .)

7) HM SURF AND FLY: How is possible meet/fish a pokemon in the water if (according with the game) it can't swim because he hasn't learned surf? I know it would be a huge disadvantage but the HM Surf shouldn't exist, in my opinion to swim in the pools of water all you need is a water pokemon in your team and the relative badge. Same thing for the flying pokemon

8) DRAGON POKEMON: The english word "Dragon" come from another latin word "Draco, onis" which was used to indicate a huge reptile ok?
then just look at Charizard, Feraligatr, Scyther, Aerodactyl, Tyranitar then look at Vibrava and Altaria evolution line; so we have that a Grasshopper and a cloud-bird are considered "huge reptiles" by the GameFreak. Uhmm . . . an interesting point of view for sure!

9) WILD STARTERS: I mean where does the Prof.Oak (and the others) catch this Pokemon? In my opinion the starters are the prototypes of the perfect pokemon built in the Laboratory, and so they are very powerful; this explains why they are only 3 and also why the Prof. of every region keeps for himself one of them

10) MALE KANGASKHAN: I think that it should be exist Male kangaskhan too, otherwise the reproduction is impossible;
also their pre-evolution shoul be present according with this image
Spoiler:

Sorry for the grammar errors and also for the log post xD

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
While Ice technically is Water, some Ice Pokémon have a secondary non-Water typing, like Mamoswine and Abomasnow. Making those have a third typing wouldn't make sense in gameplay terms.

The Flying type is the secondary type of the Normal/Flying 'mons (just take a look at the order of the typing). That's something I never understood myself either.

I think that Rock is resistant to Fire because it doesn't melt as easily as Steel, unless exposed to very high temperatures.

Ghost Pokémon have ghostly characteristics. Dark Pokémon have mischievous characteristics. Dark moves use underhanded tactics, like using the opponent's strength against it, having teammates gang up on the opponent or attacking when the opponent least expects it.

I think Psychic is only effective against Fighting and Poison because of the "mind over matter" concept and the fact that poisons can be neutralized, respectively.

The type chart is fine as is. I'm not sure what introducing another type would do, but I think it's leaning towards imbalancing it further (the type chart was modified in Gen II because Psychic was too powerful).

Swimming is a natural ability for Water Pokémon and flying is a natural ability for Flying Pokémon. However, a Pokémon carrying a person on its back or using these abilities for battle is another story.

Charizard wasn't made into a Dragon Pokémon in Gen I because that typing was considered "broken" back then. Just because a Pokémon looks draconian doesn't mean it is a Dragon Pokémon. Vibrava and Flygon are most likely Dragon Pokémon because they're meant to be literal interpretations of the dragonfly. Altaria is based on the Peng, large mythological Chinese birds with dragon heads.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
1. Ice has been a staple element for all RPGs, so it can't be left out. Unfortunately, it has to suffer being outclassed by Water.

2. Steel was created because of Psychic's OP status in Gen I, but all it did was create another dominant type several gens later: Fighting. Although Charizard's dex entry does sound like a potential ability for it to deal neutral damage against its crippling weakness.

3. There's really no known specimen that's an embodiment of wind like Tornadus, which is why Flying is usually a secondary type.

4. Wrong description for Dark types, as they're suppose to represent mischievous deeds rather than an embdiment of pure darkness. They are rivaled by Ghosts, who are also known to pull pranks on foolish mortals back in the old days of animation.

5. Neutral damage to all but their own type, Steel, and Dark is the closest thing to having Psychic dominating everything.

6. A Light type will never be made ever, because we have Fire and Electric to represent Light. Also, read #4 from above.

7. I think those HMs only apply for carrying humans.

8. Anything that looks reptilian doesn't have to be a Dragon type. They can still learn Dragon moves, and that's about it.

9. Or you know, breeding their evolved forms for new starters.

10. That theory never gets old.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
This might be a case of over thinking the series. While your points are valid. They had to make their own spin on it to make it theirs.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
Years
And yet, you seem not to have a problem with rock and ground.

Oh and if you want to talk about stuff that really doesn't make any sense tell me how electricity is super effective against flying and not effective at all to use on ground.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Dec 9, 2020
While Ice technically is Water, some Ice Pokémon have a secondary non-Water typing, like Mamoswine and Abomasnow. Making those have a third typing wouldn't make sense in gameplay terms.

I think that Rock is resistant to Fire because it doesn't melt as easily as Steel, unless exposed to very high temperatures.

Ghost Pokémon have ghostly characteristics. Dark Pokémon have mischievous characteristics. Dark moves use underhanded tactics, like using the opponent's strength against it, having teammates gang up on the opponent or attacking when the opponent least expects it.

I think Psychic is only effective against Fighting and Poison because of the "mind over matter" concept and the fact that poisons can be neutralized, respectively.

The type chart is fine as is. I'm not sure what introducing another type would do, but I think it's leaning towards imbalancing it further (the type chart was modified in Gen II because Psychic was too powerful).

Swimming is a natural ability for Water Pokémon and flying is a natural ability for Flying Pokémon. However, a Pokémon carrying a person on its back or using these abilities for battle is another story.

Charizard wasn't made into a Dragon Pokémon in Gen I because that typing was considered "broken" back then. Just because a Pokémon looks draconian doesn't mean it is a Dragon Pokémon. Vibrava and Flygon are most likely Dragon Pokémon because they're meant to be literal interpretations of the dragonfly. Altaria is based on the Peng, large mythological Chinese birds with dragon heads.

I didn't mean that a thord type should be put in, but i was just saying that all the ice pokemon should be classified as Ice-Water type, with no other element

You're right: it needs a lot of time to reach the melting point, I haven't think about it

It's a very subtle difference of the fighting style, and so I still haven't understood it at all

If you agree with the "mind over matter" concept, Phsycic should be the most powerful type of all

Yes, introducing another type should be a "difficult" in some ways, but it won't be so hard I think; the type chart could be changed successfully, but some things should be modified to do that

Uhmm i guess you're right, I haven't think about it once again

OK, I don't understand what you mean whit "broken" please explain it to me again
let's talk about the Dragon fly and its origin: the dragonfly is an insect in the real world and its name came from the belief of the Roman age that this kind of animal were an embodiment of the Devil, and so they adopt the latin form "Drac" check it out this link: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_did_dragonflies_get_their_name

so the Dragonfly and Vibrava haven't nothing in common with a real dragon type Pokemon

I don't find any site where the chinese mythological creature Peng is portrayed with Dragon type characteristics, it is always described as a Big Fish (Kun) that then turns in to a huge bird (Peng) which can fly for 6 months without rest; it is classified in the Bird group even in its mythology:
Spoiler:

If you have some links that stress the dragon characteristics of Peng sent it to me xD

1. Ice has been a staple element for all RPGs, so it can't be left out. Unfortunately, it has to suffer being outclassed by Water.

2. Steel was created because of Psychic's OP status in Gen I, but all it did was create another dominant type several gens later: Fighting. Although Charizard's dex entry does sound like a potential ability for it to deal neutral damage against its crippling weakness.

3. There's really no known specimen that's an embodiment of wind like Tornadus, which is why Flying is usually a secondary type.

4. Wrong description for Dark types, as they're suppose to represent mischievous deeds rather than an embdiment of pure darkness. They are rivaled by Ghosts, who are also known to pull pranks on foolish mortals back in the old days of animation.

5. Neutral damage to all but their own type, Steel, and Dark is the closest thing to having Psychic dominating everything.

6. A Light type will never be made ever, because we have Fire and Electric to represent Light. Also, read #4 from above.

8. Anything that looks reptilian doesn't have to be a Dragon type. They can still learn Dragon moves, and that's about it.

9. Or you know, breeding their evolved forms for new starters.

10. That theory never gets old.

1. Maybe because they are the same thing I guess.

2. as I told above it needs a lot of time to reach the melting point, so perhaps I'm wrong

3.I really don't agree with the new representation of pokemon, because at the beginning they had to represent the animals, and not the Oriental gods. However, in my opinion, a bird like Pidgeot is supposed to symbolize the "air" element without any relationship with no other kind of element

4. They are still too much similiar, because they both act during the night, the only difference is in their way of act/prank, in my opinion this distinction is very negligible

5. I don't undestand what you mean with this point

6. Yes, but thet don't represent light in an appropriate way at all, and also it would be very awesome to have the light type in order to contrast in a logic way the Dark type

8. Charizard is clearly insipired to a Dragon, I mean he IS a dragon:
Spoiler:

so he MUST be a Dragon type Pokemon, too bad for the GameFreak for sure!

9. and where do they catch the "original" evolved form ?

10. xD yes because it's very logic and awesome

And yet, you seem not to have a problem with rock and ground.

Oh and if you want to talk about stuff that really doesn't make any sense tell me how electricity is super effective against flying and not effective at all to use on ground.

Because the thunders could hit every flying things, then i guess that to explain the inefficacy aganist ground it needs to mentioned the Franklin's theory on not? I don't know I really suck in scientific subjects xD

Back