• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Regarding a Custom Ability: "Retribution"

Derxwna Kapsyla

Derxwna "The Badman" Kapsyla
Years
For a little thing I was working on, trying to get a further understanding of Abilities, I went and made a copy of one of the abilities - Rough Skin - and turned it into a 1-Shot-Kill Move.
if isConst?(target.ability,PBAbilities,:RETRIBUTION) && user.hp>0
user.pbReduceHP((user.totalhp/1).floor)
pbDisplay(_INTL("You were not prepared for Death's Retribution.",target.pbThis,
PBAbilities.getName(target.ability),user.pbThis(true)))
end
Now, the ability worked near flawlessly. However, when it activated, and brought the foe down to 0 HP, the foe remained out on the field, and it didn't say it fainted or anything. This video from the point linked onward shows exactly what I mean
Furthermore, when I had the one that has the ability "Retribution" out at the first of the party and it triggers, while it asks me to send out another mon, it still didn't say my party member fainted. There was also the issue where the ability of the second foe in the video would trigger (It was Cute Charm set to go off 100% of the time, but it wouldn't activate). I assume this was due to it not exactly registering that my AYuugi had fainted.

I guess to simplify it, how would I go about fixing this issue?

Derxwna Kapsyla

Years
Setting it to user.pbReduceHP(0) only reduced the HP by 2, strangely enough. I changed the 0 to 900 to be on the safe side, and while it did bring the HP down to 0, it produced the same issue where it didn't say "AYuugi fainted"

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
It may well be a more general problem with Essentials, affecting abilities like Rough Skin and Aftermath. Can you check if those appear to work properly, when they deal both non-lethal and lethal damage?

Derxwna Kapsyla

Years
It may well be a more general problem with Essentials, affecting abilities like Rough Skin and Aftermath. Can you check if those appear to work properly, when they deal both non-lethal and lethal damage?

I actually just checked it a little while ago with Shedinja against a Sharpedo, it seemed really buggy to me. Here's the video I made for proof.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
There's two bugs there: the one you mentioned, and the "keeps attacking even when fainted" bug mentioned a little while ago somewhere.

I think I've fixed those for the next version of Essentials. I tweaked a number of lines for it, so I couldn't really list all the changes needed.

It would help if I knew exactly when the user should faint. For example, is it before or after the move's effect occurs? Is this timing any different for the move Selfdestruct? Basically, I would really like a timeline of everything that could happen during using a move (like this one for end-of-round effects).

Derxwna Kapsyla

Years
There's two bugs there: the one you mentioned, and the "keeps attacking even when fainted" bug mentioned a little while ago somewhere.

I think I've fixed those for the next version of Essentials. I tweaked a number of lines for it, so I couldn't really list all the changes needed.

It would help if I knew exactly when the user should faint. For example, is it before or after the move's effect occurs? Is this timing any different for the move Selfdestruct? Basically, I would really like a timeline of everything that could happen during using a move (like this one for end-of-round effects).

Unfortunately, I was unsure of how to properly answer this question - in both knowing the answer, and then after figuring it out, how to word it. So, My friends, who were gracious enough to answer for me, gave me a chat log where the answered that. Hopefully it helps.
http://pastebin.com/uXXDbgZm

Back