• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

First Person with Second Person; ideas on my story?

Volcanix769

Known as the Quilava Guy!
Years
I'm planning on writing a story where this main character is talking in first person, but he's writing this to a friend in their experience. The friend is "you" instead of the name, and the main character is "I", since he's storytelling his experience of him to his friend of their experience.

But is it confusing in some way, even if I write it in Present Tense in this? I mean, present tense isn't used that much.

Also, when introducing those characters right out of the blue, do I have to explain a backstory on where they started so the reader can know? Or is it unnecessary to put a past image of the flashback?

They start in Olivine City since they heard of this Battle Competition. They meet up with their 2 other friends and they compete against many other trainers so they can fight the Champion of Johto(not Lance). But I may write on how they might like take this competition pretty seriously when one is sucked in the passion of winning.

Sorry if this is worded quite oddly, since I writing all my questions. So, what do you think is important to include, and yes those 2 main characters are the playable ones in HG/SS while the other two are original trainers.

In this, I may make it about when Ethan and Lyra are tied neck and neck and see how they may go. Before they joined, they agreed to do a friendly competition.

So..... if I write a prologue to sum up what they have gone through before I introduce the chapters, is that fine instead of infodumping them as flashbacks? I tried it in one story during too many flashbacks and it's too distracting when it comes to this.

The reason why I wanted to do that is to test on how it goes since my concept is going to be different in terms of relationship. I won't exactly focus on her in terms of what's happening. I mean, he's writing it to her, but he's restating the events. Maybe only first person if it's going to be like this.......

And I am planning on how their promise to battle friendly instead of like very seriously to backstab one another is going to ruin them. I may have a 90% chance of them battling each other in the semi finals, but Lyra is somewhat soft in battling but she wins that round before the semi finals because of Ethan's chanting that makes her do so, especially her Pokemon.

The chapters may be 10 or 15 varying on each individual battle centering Ethan and Lyra.

That's how I may plan it. Prologues are Ok to introduce them right? And like only the part that focus on the hardships or how Ethan thinks of Lyra?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Maybe for the back story, that since you're having one character write to the other, have them mention what you want the readers to know to each other. Like "Hey, remember when you and I did this?" It's better than info-dumping or having long confusing flashbacks. You'd also know just what information is important.

I won't exactly focus on her in terms of what's happening.
That's going to be a slight problem. Second-person is used when the author wants the reader to be the character. Why do you want the reader to be Lyra? Why not just have them floating alongside Ethan and just use first-person? You'd have to see why you want to make this choice, and see if it fits the story that you want to tell.

I'm guessing that between Lyra winning the battle because of Ethan and you asking if the story should be about how Ethan feels for Lyra, then the story should be written like Ethan is watching Lyra battle and is thinking back on how they got to the battle and why she's still a good trainer despite being "soft in battling." Then yeah, you can use the first-person and have Ethan talking to Lyra, "you".

I can't answer about the present-tense and how that would work because I don't deal with that tense at all. So I don't know about that.

Back