• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Oh you like manga? I prefer LN

CarefulWetPaint

Doctor Lobotomy
Years
What is your favourite way of taking in your JE. Do you prefer it to be anime, light novels, visual novels, manga, live action movies? Or is there another kinda you prefer. Also why is this your favourite way of taking in your JE?

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I prefer both anime and manga, but I enjoy anime alot more than manga. It seems like I can enjoy and understand a story more when watching it and hearing it, than just reading it. I enjoy reading too though, but with anime I can get more into it. Though there are some anime where the manga is way better. I haven't read any light novels or visual novels, so I have no opinion on them.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
I prefer live action stuff and manga with a bit of anime on the side. I guess trends in anime over the last few years have been very off putting and made it difficult for me to get invested in any show for too long. The anime I do enjoy are pretty few and far between and I'm not fond of the moe/tsundere/yandere/whateverthehell the current flavor of the month is that anime's been chugging out lately. With live action stuff, I can find more shows I enjoy thanks to the variety in J-Drama and the action oriented tokusatsu shows out there. I've never really enjoyed light novels or visual novels, but I've always loved manga and still have a fairly decent sized collection that I enjoy.

Years
  • Seen Jan 26, 2022
I have watched really only Anime at first, but then I read the Great Teacher Onizuka manga and that changed.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I love visual novels, I tend to read those relatively a lot. As for anything else, it depends on my mood. I don't watch live-action Japanese stuff most of the time though. I'm more into manga when I'm at school because I can read it without sound/while I'm in class/anywhere, but at home I tend to prefer anime because I enjoy the sound portion of it.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
Years
Everything that's good is welcome. The problem with LN and VN is that most novels I'm interested in aren't translated. There are some fan translation of light novels, but sometimes their grammar is just awful. I am grateful that they are translating it, but what's the point of reading a badly written book.

Yuzuru Otonashi

A new start...
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 16, 2014
I prefer manga, in general, simply because it's a lot faster than Anime, if it has one. I just don't have time to sit and watch something unless it's Anime-only, most of the time, whereas I can blaze through a large series in just a day or three.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
Without a doubt, I prefer anime, usually subbed. I love having the Japanese feel of the voice acting - and it's generally much, much better than the English voice-overs - but also being able to read while watching. I used to prefer English dub since I hated reading while watching, but the authentic presence of Japanese sub anime is unbeatable.

Yuzuru Otonashi

A new start...
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 16, 2014
Without a doubt, I prefer anime, usually subbed. I love having the Japanese feel of the voice acting - and it's generally much, much better than the English voice-overs - but also being able to read while watching. I used to prefer English dub since I hated reading while watching, but the authentic presence of Japanese sub anime is unbeatable.
@Bold: Um, that's absolutely false.

The original and dubs are often about the same quality as the other. Sometimes the dub is better, sometimes the original is better. The only real difference between the two are the "authenticity" of the original that you mentioned and the inability to tell the quality of voices apart in Japanese and English, or whatever language a person chooses.

Authenticity... is a really flimsy argument. Just because it came from that language doesn't mean it's best in it. I mean, sure, lots of dubs end up having some corny dialogue, but the originals have it, too. It' just not as obvious to someone who doesn't speak Japanese, so it doesn't seem as bad/punny/corny.

Some original series have seiyuu that are really awful, yet people think they sound better than the dub just because they can't tell how awful it is. Off the top of my head, there are a good handful of seiyuu for the Digimon series that are just as bad as the dub casts can be. Generally, when doing something that requires will power.motivation, you should have strength in your voice, yet there are times when they're flat as hell when they're in those moment, with one serious offender coming to mind. Thing is though, in anime like that, the problem tend to exist in both the original and dub in one way or another, leveling the two out.

I'm not saying not to like subs, at all. I watch both interchangeably with a slight preference for the dub. I still try to go for the higher quality version of the two, thus resulting in watching a dub, as they're usually close in terms of quality. Unless you'e watching an anime specifically targeted at kids internationally (Digimon, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh!), the dubs (At least English, though I've heard a few good reports for French, Spanish, and German dubs) have a good chance of being about equal quality with the original.

Some series, such as TTGL, Death Note, and, from what I've heard, Host Club have amazing dubs that beat out the original by a good margin. Again, not telling you which to prefer/like/etc., but don't go saying how dubs are so inferior to the original, when most times they're basically equal quality. exceptions exist, but they are not the rule.

Nes-One

Another Person Into Pokemon
Years
I like anime and manga, but I get more of a laugh out of reading manga. When I watch anime it's always subbed. I just prefer watching anime subbed instead of watching the dubbed version.

Back