• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

EV training (gone wrong)

Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2013
Hey guys,
I went ev training with my giratina. However, i dropped my ds during the process which caused my game to crash and the save file to be corrupted. The last save file (which was 7 minutes earlier) was loaded. Of course I kept notice of how many ev's my monster got, but now I dont know exactly how many it had at that time.
Now I was wondering if the best option would be to continue the training, and add, say, +20 extra ev's to make sure I didnt get too few. (so over the 252 limit)
I'm kinda new to ev training so that's why.
Thanks for the help!

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

Now I was wondering if the best option would be to continue the training, and add, say, +20 extra ev's to make sure I didnt get too few.
Depends on how fast you were "finding" and "killing" the pokemon. Make sure that you time both (the time you took to encounter a pokemon + killing it). Once you figure that out, then you can do the math on how much kills/EV gains you get per minute, then multiply by 7 (to get 7 min worth)... After all that, then that's the time you add a number to your count.

Alternatively, you could simply train for the other stat you want to EV-train. After that, train for the 4 or 6 EV extra if you want (if not, just read on). Finally, you could go back to the first stat you were trying to EV train without worrying. You can choose to visit the NPC(s) who tell you whether your pokemon has maxed out all it's Effort Points or just "overtrain" until you feel like his EVs are already maxed.

If you're playing Black2/White2, just call Bianca. She will tell you when even just one stat is maxed.

NPC locations:
DPPt - Sunyshore Market
HGSS - Blackthorn
B/W - Opelucid
B2/W2 - call Bianca

Last edited:

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
Or if you have Wifi you could just upload your Pokemon onto Pokecheck and check everything from there. :)

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
Now I was wondering if the best option would be to continue the training, and add, say, +20 extra ev's to make sure I didnt get too few.
Yeah - that's probably what I'd do.

You could reset the EVs to 0 and start over, but I probably wouldn't bother unless they're pretty low as is. And it depends on the game - in the fourth gen, EV reducing berries are fairly easy to come by, but in the fifth gen, they're only available in the Dream World. And if you're in the fourth gen and have over 100 EVs, the first berry will take the total down to exactly 100, which would be handy if you've got something over 100 already. That doesn't work in the fifth gen though - it's just 10 EVs per berry until you get to 0. In the fifth gen, you can use some of the Join Avenue shops - most notably the Salon - to lower EVs, but it's not until fairly late in the game that you get access to those services.

So - yeah. I'd probably just keep going until I knew I had 255. You end up "wasting" 3 EVs that way (6 actually, since you'll end up with another 3 left over from the remaining ones), but that's not really that big of a deal, or at least it isn't to me - I know some people who get really bent out of shape over little details like that. If you're one of those people, then I'd think that resetting them is the only alternative.

*edit* - actually, I like molivious' idea (that went up while I was writing). If you train for whatever other EVs you were planning on first and make sure those totals are right, then you can come back to whatever you were training when you dropped your DS and just go until you're sure you've maxed it out, and it'll be 252.

Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2013
Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm goig with molivious' idea as it seems to be best. What's up with that pokecheck thingy though? Never heard of that before.

PS. This option seems ideal as I already did the stat with the 4 EVs in it.

Last edited:

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm goig with molivious' idea as it seems to be best. What's up with that pokecheck thingy though? Never heard of that before.

PS. This option seems ideal as I already did the stat with the 4 EVs in it.
[Pokecheck] has many features, including a checker that says whether your pokemon is legal/valid or not. Anyway, you may also use it to check your EVs accurately. Should be worth all the hassle, only requiring some wifi setup.

Check [this link] for example and take a look at the "Stats and Movement" tab. You'll get a similar screen.

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
You've already found your solution, and for the most part, everyone said everything to be said.

However, in the future, I think one thing many people overlook is using PP to keep track of your EVs. For instance, if you have 20 Dragonbreaths and 15 Shadow Claws. You have both a power item and pokerus* such that you're gaining 10 attack EVs for every machop/patrat/whatever you beat.

If you were to hypothetically lose your data like this again, both the power item you're holding and how many of each PP you used will indicate where you left off. If you used 18 dragonbreaths and 2 shadow claws, then you're just 52 EVs away.

This method is only reliable if your moves have high PP and 100% accuracy, though; if you have to visit the Pokemon Center, then this won't work. The fact that Black/White allows infinite uses of TMs can allow this to come in handy for having the right moves to train with temporarily.

I've never had to keep track of EVs with paper by using this method, and I can easily go into sleep mode and continue EV training the next day, and know exactly where I left off.

*You said you were new to EV training. I just wanted to say that, in the long run, you'll save yourself so much time if you get pokerus and power items.

Back