• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Who do you like more? Cilan or Brock

Who do you like more, Cilan or Brock

• Brock

Votes: 66 75.9%
  • Cilan

Votes: 21 24.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLeetCasualGamer

Hi, I'm strange :3
Years
If you watched any best wishes episodes you would have probably guess what this post is about.

This is not saying Cilan is a "Brock rip-off" (although I bet you anything it's going to get people coming here and posting that he is xD) this is just posted for me to get views of who people like more. As we know, Brock has been around Ash/Satoshi for almost the entire anime with only the female character changing. But we finally got someone to take his place as the male partner in the group which is Cilan (or the Japenese name Dent if you prefer)

I personally think that they both did a great job at doing what at least one character in an anime should do. Make it over the top and hilarious at moments.

Anyway, I do like both, but I do know I probably do carry a more unpopular opinion of liking Cilan more. Just the way he trances with his TASTING TIME!!!! just always makes me smile and laugh for some reason. xD But I want to hear other people on this.

Although I think we can all agree that Brock's humor just got really annoying in the Sinnoh region (seriously, I've only watched the movies and I wanted to smack that crogunk for killing the mood of the joke ._.) and I for one am glad they replaced him just because of the direction that his personality was heading. I would be saying that even if I didn't like the new character.

Charicific

PkMn Trainer
Years
I don't think I am gonna vote :S It's like asking me "what's my favorite food", trust me, my food index...is complicated v_v .

So, I really liked Brock like crazy, I was destroyed when I knew he left the show by the time I was still watching Sinnoh. Such a great character with the ladies xD Regardless of how many time they repeat his trend, it never gets old. It brought the smile to me when I saw how they always should find something to handle his Girl-holic attraction. (Misty,Max, Croagunk)

Nevertheless, Cilan..is just amazing. I can't stand his evaluation time and his philosophic explanations, especially when that music rolls in xD It's at those time when I start losing it.

I just can't choose from any of them, both did their job perfectly!

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I prefer Cilan by far. Brock just felt so unimportant and like he wasn't really there for a reason, especially when it came to DP, but Cilan on the other hand has a real sense of purpose on the team. He gets involved with what's happening a lot more than Brock did and he looks way cooler too <3 Plus he caught some awesome Pokémon like Dwebble and Stunfisk, so Cilan definitely gets my vote.

(I could write for pages on this debate but I'm about to go out so expect this post's length to increase later today. x])

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
Years
Brock was decent in the first series, but he became annoying in Advanced and Diamond & Pearl so I was glad they replaced him. Dent is way more funny and interesting than him. I'd rather hear stuff like "It's tasting time!" and "Marriage with my Ball!" than "Oh my god, cute girl!"

I'd rather they used Brendan in Advanced and Lucas in Diamond instead of Brock. If they changed Misty, why not him too.

darkpokeball

Beware the Chainsaw Meowth 0.o
Years
Brock: Although it was kind of funny to see him fail at getting dates...Cilan all the way!
Cilan: An interesting character, a much-needed actually FRESH concept in teh pokemon world that's not overused/seen before and an original character! I like Cilan way more than Brock, but that's just my opinion.

Candra Software

PKHeX User
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 29, 2017
My vote goes to Dent. From the twelve episodes I've watched, I think he's funnier in more unique ways.

Years
  • Seen Dec 25, 2023
Brock's "ladies man/delusional Casanova" humour could never get old to me, it just kept getting better & better & always made me laugh from the beginning up until the end of the DP series. Also his 'Paradise' song (or whatever official name it has in English) was easily one of the funniest things to come out of him. Not to mention he always knew his stuff as breeder & was of huge help to the gang. Definitely my all-time favourite male character to accompany Ash.
Though I am currently watching Best Wishes & so far I have no complaints about the Cilan character: great connoisseur/trainer (apparently a good cook as well). I'm sure he'll get some decent character development like almost every other companion we've seen so far. However I don't think I can keep on watching the anime for the sole reason I can't help but find myself more & more annoyed with the whole experience wipe-off inflicted to Ash by the writers. I love the idea of him starting off fresh & training new Pokemon (which always ends up giving birth to a new power house adding up to his already established ones) but the amount of rookie mistakes we see him make at the start of every series is just too much. Right now Ash really is what's wrong with the show, his companions are fine.

Years
cilan is pretty kawaii
but i like brock better for the reason he had onix, since it was his first pokemon he shouldve kept it all the way but he evolved it into a steelix soo i dont know

Polizard

Awesome Trainer
Years
Cilan is just annoying everything about him bothers me, i hate his outfit I hate his voice, I hate 2/3 of his Pokemon (go Crustle). I hate his evaluating time, i hate when he makes some stupid comment about Pokemon battles comparing them to a recipe. So as unimportant as Brock felt i just preferred him.

Mentalii

Back
Years
Brock. He was very funny, and had a unique personnality. I don't like Cilan, to be honest, he annoys me.
However, I have to admit, that Brock's departure was a good thing. He was awesome in the beginning, but they totally ruined it in the DP seasons. I prefer him than Cilan, by far, but if I had the choice I wouldn't like him to come back. Unless Misty came back too, and they made their former trio again.

Years
Brock, for sure. I always thought Brock was more suitable to hang out with because he's much more mature. He's obsessively weird around girls but that's still more natural than Cilan, who is just plain unrealistically weird about random things for no reason. I understand the need for humor in Pokemon and I like that, but it can be overdone. Even though Team Rocket can be stupid and funny, their role on the show justifies it. It feels like putting too much humor in a main traveling companion is out of place. It makes Pokemon more like just a regular cartoon than a good, epic anime with a few laughs. I'm fine with giving Brock a break every once in a while, but they better have him back for the next generation!

Years
Eep, Cilan's got 2x less votes than Brock. This is unacceptable! D:

But yeah, I definitely prefer Cilan. Brock was a nice character because he was like the mature figure that was there to guide Ash, but that really wasn't enough. His hitting on girls gag got very old for me and nothing really happened with his character through his ten+ year run. I really wish he got expanded and developed more outside his departure episode; the writers had more than enough time to do so.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Cilan's alright, but I liked Brock more because he doesn't overuse metaphors too much. The running gag of him being dragged off by Misty/Max or being Poison Jabbed by Croagunk whenever he falls in love is kind of hilarious too.

Years
Brock. Whilst Brock and women could get annoying at times it was far more entertaining than anything that Cilan does (and yes the paradise song is hilarious). On top of that he served more of a purpose as a mature guide for his inexperienced companions. I do understand why he had to go though, his character was finished, he had basically reached his final goal and had to go to a fixed location to study.

Cilan is a bad attempt at attempting to re-create Brock (there someone said it). He has a terrible appearance and just the metaphors :@ are intolerable. I do admit Dwebble (yet to see it as Crustle) is awesome though :D.

It's funny that everyone is saying that Cilan is interesting and new and that they preferred Brock in Gen 1 but then he got boring because THIS is basically Cilan's Gen 1, it is the first time he has appeared if he were to be around in one or two more generations you'll be making the same criticisms towards him (trying not to be offensive when I say that).

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
Years
I remember really liking Brock back in the day, mind you I haven't seen to many of the Unova episodes. I'd say brock, cause I thought he payed a good 'big brother' kinda character, but I am kinda biased

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
Hmm this has easily got to be the easiest question so far. I'd have to say Brock. Idk who this other dude is cuz I quit watching it when Brock left. If your gonna get rid of Brock and Misty, might of well get rid of Ash too. I picked Brock cuz he has been in the episodes since the first season. Idk what they were thinking gettin rid of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back