• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tile Inserting - Marxvile's Way.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
Right, I am Banjora Marxvile. Many of you will... Ah, who cares about the standard intro. I have Tile Inserted for nearly 2 years now, so I should know what I am doing in this tutorial. Right, let's start!

What You Will Need:
Advance Map
Paint
The tiles
A ROM (3rd gen, as this is a 3rd gen tutorial)

Instructions:

Step 1: Open Advance Map, and Load your ROM.

Step 2: Go to Block Editor, which is this button:
rti1y1.png

Right, a basic run down of Block Editor:
vo320w.png

There are 2 big pictures, one at the left, one in the middle. The left one contains the "blocks", which are what you make your maps out of in Advance Map. The middle one contains the "tiles" which makes the "blocks". In order to insert tiles, you need to know how to use both, as well as how to change the pallettes. That is that little dropdown box that says pallettex (x being a number).

They all are what you really need for inserting Tiles, but the Behaviour Data is needed later.

Step 3: Select the pallette in the dropdown menu that best suits your NEW tiles.

Step 4: Go to Picture - Save Tileset x (x being a number).

This is where I need to tell you that Tileset 1 is the main tileset (basically, the great ourdoors, or the vast sprawl of interior tilesets). Tileset 2 is the secondary tileset (which is specific to certain places, such as Lavender Town has tiles other places don't).

At this point, an error saying something about pallettes being the same comes up. Simple solution is go (in the top menu bar) to Pallettes - Pallette Editor, and make sure that 2 colours in that pallette are not identical.

So, you've saved your Tileset, and you have new tiles. You probably think: Oh, I can just move them in, and it will be fine.

WRONG!

Step 5: Recolour your new tiles to fit the pallette that the Tileset is in. This cannot be easily explained, so I will show you what I mean:

This is an example tile (thanks to WesleyFG):
344bll3.png

And this is your Tileset:
24o38lc.jpg

You recolour your tile, to fit the colour of the Tileset, like such:
25up3ld.png

See what I did? I got the grass from Firered, and I used it's colours onto the new grass. That is thanks to this button in Paint to identify the colours from the FR tile:
24bt9h2.png

Step 6: NOW you can insert your new tile, replacing old ones or into free space (preferably, for this tutorial, over old ones)

Step 7: Go to Block Editor, and then Picture - Load Tileset x (The x you used earlier, 1 or 2).

Step 8: Then go to Picture - Load New Blocks. Voila, they should be inserted!

Ah, but they are not in the right pallette... Simple:

Step 9: Open the original new tile in Paint, and use the Eyedropper (
24bt9h2.png
) on 1 colour of it. Then go to Colours - Edit Colours. Click Define Custom Colours, and it shows you the RGB values of that colour. In Advance Map, go to Pallette - Pallette Editor. Select the original FR tileset colour that you used to replace the colour you eyedropped just a second ago. Change the pallette with the slider, doing the R value, then G, then B to get it as near as possible to the tile's original pallette. Repeat for all colours.

The 3rd gen ROM's round the R, G and B values to the nearest multiple of 8. Hence why I said as close as possible. So, hope you know your 8 times table!

Step 10: When done, close Pallette Editor, and go to Pallette - Write Pallette Changes To ROM. Done for sure now.

If you found this hard to follow, please tell me. If you get stuck, please either say in this thread, or Message me. I am willing to help people learn Tile Inserting. I knew what I was saying, but I want YOU to know what I was saying. So, if you have any difficulties or opinions, please tell me, and I will try my best toimprove this tutorial (my 1st, and I cannot explain things, so... Your help is much appreciated!)

Banjora Marxvile's Seal of Approval

Last edited by a moderator:

558122_DG

Learning how to make mistakes
Years
  • Seen May 27, 2021
Excellent tutorial, Don't know why no one commented :)

I didn't find any problems, it was fairly easy to follow, it doesn't appear to need changes. Good job :)

@ppl who viewed but don't comment- People won't be compelled to help you if your not willing to tell them how, or at least comment on the tutorial.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
Excellent tutorial, Don't know why no one commented :)

I didn't find any problems, it was fairly easy to follow, it doesn't appear to need changes. Good job :)

@ppl who viewed but don't comment- People won't be compelled to help you if your not willing to tell them how, or at least comment on the tutorial.

Thanks. Well, my real aim is to get people who can't tile insert to read it mostly, but thanks for the encouragement. It really helps.

To those that don't comment: Please, if you have any criticisms, or opinions, please post. Even if you already know how to Tile Insert, every little helps.

Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2016
i was reading in another tutorial that you needed to change the colors before you insert them. while i read your tutorial i got confused. do u want us to change the colors after we insert them? and to be sure, the palettes are the different colors the tiles(tileset) can become? and the tileset is the blocks?

558122_DG

Learning how to make mistakes
Years
  • Seen May 27, 2021
i was reading in another tutorial that you needed to change the colors before you insert them. while i read your tutorial i got confused. do u want us to change the colors after we insert them? and to be sure, the palettes are the different colors the tiles(tileset) can become? and the tileset is the blocks?

Basically you take the tiles you want to insert, put it into the already exported picture, and recolor the tiles you want to insert with the colors that are already there. After that you can edit the palette of the tile in a-map by going to the pallette editor, be sure to select the "write pallette changes to rom" after you finish. Good luck. If what I wrote made no sense whatsoever pretend you've never seen it before...

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
Years
Not much to say, you do it the way I always have done it. But you didn't breaking up an image with tiles that repeat. Also you can explain byte values, and tiles that have animation.

Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2016
so by inserting these do i replace the blocks it shows me or is this adding a new tileset? ex.- i replace the grass and tress in tileset 1 or make a new tileset.

Years
  • Seen Jun 12, 2010
so by inserting these do i replace the blocks it shows me or is this adding a new tileset? ex.- i replace the grass and tress in tileset 1 or make a new tileset.

In the tutorial explains how to replace a tile on the other, by recolor
but on many other occasions you must remove the old tiles for your own tiles;)
-------------
great tutorial is understandable
but I think you missed screens at the end:)
lucky!

Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2016
does it matter which pallete you put them in. cause i know one palette is all black so wouldnt be easy to insert them in that palette?

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today

It doesn't matter how you do the recoloring bit. Different people have different ways. As long as you remember to make the tiles fit the pallette somehow.

Not much to say, you do it the way I always have done it. But you didn't breaking up an image with tiles that repeat. Also you can explain byte values, and tiles that have animation.

I am going to update this tutorial, hopefully including how to insert tiles into free space, how to expand a tileset (easy, but it could go buggy, as I have found out, but can be avoided), and eventually which tiles are animated, and where not to insert.

In the tutorial explains how to replace a tile on the other, by recolor
but on many other occasions you must remove the old tiles for your own tiles;)
-------------
great tutorial is understandable
but I think you missed screens at the end:)
lucky!

Thanks. I missed screens at the end as... Well, I was running out of time. When I update, I will add ore pictures of Pallette Editor, and the vital Step 10 (as peope do forget to do Step 10, myself included sometimes).

does it matter which pallete you put them in. cause i know one palette is all black so wouldnt be easy to insert them in that palette?

Doesn't matter about the pallette number, but which is this all black? If it is any Pallette from... 7 onwards, it is in the Secondary pallette zone, which is specific to certain areas, as the Secondary tilesets use them.

Giga Universe

Working on a tool.
Years
Good tutorial. The only thing that bugs me is that you didn't elaborate on the recolouring. Many people don't know about the eraser trick. I'm going to assume you don't know about it because you left it out. Click the eyedropper tools and select the colour you want to change with left click. Then with the eyedropper again, select the colour you want to change the first colour to. Then take the eraser tool, and hold right click, and drag the eraser over to tile you wish to recolour. Instant recolour! Repeat for all the colours you need to change. Much faster than the fill tool.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
Good tutorial. The only thing that bugs me is that you didn't elaborate on the recolouring. Many people don't know about the eraser trick. I'm going to assume you don't know about it because you left it out. Click the eyedropper tools and select the colour you want to change with left click. Then with the eyedropper again, select the colour you want to change the first colour to. Then take the eraser tool, and hold right click, and drag the eraser over to tile you wish to recolour. Instant recolour! Repeat for all the colours you need to change. Much faster than the fill tool.

I left that bit out as explaining that sometimes confuses people. I see now it is worth adding, but some people have different methods for recolouring, so I will do that in my update soon. The eraser trick may be helpful to add, but some people find doing it slowly without the Eraser trick to be more time consuming, but sometimes more reliable if your tile is just off the original pallette. Not a good reason, true, but I will add it soon.

Years
I can't insert tiles without measing. But this is the easy tutorial. I will follow it. Thanks for the great Tutorial.....

Years
  • Seen Nov 3, 2015
great tutorial, very easy to follow, but when I click"Load New Blocks" (Step 8) I get a message saying "Access violation at address 004A0105 in module 'AdvanceMap.exe'. Read of address 41277FE0." Has anyone else had this problem? and if you know, how do i fix it??

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
Does this mean i have to put in the tiles or the batch of fitting tiles bit by bit?

No, not really. You could do them all in one, that would work. Just be careful with what you are doing, and don't remove anything you sitll need from the Tileset, or at least keep an eye on what you've put where.

Meta Paradox

Researching FireRed...
Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2011
Wow, I'm impressed! Thanks for the cool tutorial, Banjora Marxville. This is a really big help for my hack.

M.L

Invisible
Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2017
dude awsome tut awsome it is short enough easy to follow and just well the best way to nsert tiles, uhm well i have nothing bad to say since its just too good lol love it any way well good tut and ths should help lots people

Aljam

[i]Sweepin' ain't easy...[/i]
Years
Kool you got your tut up dude! I think you should add some more pictures to make this tut as easiest as possible to follow.

Back