• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do Fakemon enhance the experience of Pokemon hacks?

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2015
Hello, I am planning on making a hack, and I've had 3 starters that I've had in my mind that I've really polished since I was a child. I am planning on making a game that goes back to the nostalgiac feeling of playing RSE and previous games for me. These starters were created when RSE came out... and I've since them just had them in my head. However, I've played many Pokemon hacks with Fakemon and they feel so empty to me. I just feel like it detracts from the actual hack.

I'm not even planning on having these starters available from the start, and rather, have them be more like "mascots"; kind of like how Pikachu is. You see them represented in the game as sort of an overarching theme.

Anyway, I may be overthinking things. Basically, I know it depends a lot on the hack that is being made, but do you think that having fakemon enhances the experience?

Years
  • Seen May 22, 2022
I really like the creativity of hackers making fakemon sprites and your plan sounds very good! Looking forward to it however it might take a while :P

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
I enjoy battling fakemon in Pokemon hacks. The creativity of some hackers is really astounding in terms of how well they can create their fakemon. I definitely like legendary Pokemon as fakemon (Pokemon Ruby Destiny series), but I think regular fakemon are certainly appreciated in hacks as well.

Akiba

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o3RYT4v.png[/img]
Years
In my opinion, fakemon ruin the hacks. You don't know the types, EVs, stats, and learnset. As a T-Fanger, I was able to beat a particular part of Snakewood easily; but my friends thought that the Red Denjuu were all Fire-types, while they were actually Water types. I'd say that some fakemon are okay, such as Qwilshark, because the type is known, EVs can be easily estimated, and a fairly nostalgic feeling is given

Years
  • Seen Jan 30, 2016
My approach is to use Fakemon with caution. It suits some hacks better than others. Depends on how well they're sprited, and what kind of ratio of Fakemon to real Pokemon there are. ...For example, I have an idea for a hack where the premise is the evil team creating new Pokemon and forcing new evolutions - all Fakemon. That particular case would work really well. And I've got no issue with Modmon, or whatever you'd call it - things like retyping Cofagrigus as Ghost/Steel. That works really well, in my opinion.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
I think using Fakemon gives the game a different feel in my eyes, as if you were playing a new pokemon game. However, if the designs are bad, that's when it can hamper the rating of the hack. I usually like seeing Fakemon because it gives it that added mystery feel; You never know when it might evolve or what techs it may learn.

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
I think it definitely can enhance the experience to include fakemon, if they're designed and sprited well. It feels more like a whole new game encountering new Pokemon rather than the same old ones in all the other hacks and official games.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
I hate fakemons, so no, for me it does not enhance the experience.
Though I liked those who were in Ruby Destiny series for some reason.
Other than than, I'm usually avoiding hacks with fakemons.

KannibalKween

Queen of the Dark
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 3, 2013
I myself like fakemon but as Crunch mentioned they have to be designed and sprited well.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Mar 13, 2022
I think that it depends on what the Fakemon look like and what they are made up of stat and movepool-wise. I personally did not enjoy the fakemon in Pokemon Chaos Black, but if they are given the time and effort, I think they at least have a chance of being appreciated.

thanethane98

Self Proclaimed Expert
Years
  • Seen Nov 16, 2013
Generally, I don't like Fakemon in hacks. It's not about not knowing the movepools or anything (that's actually better for the experience, in my opinion), it's just that they usually don't fit in with the rest of the Pokemon. Unless the Fakemon are pulled off really well, they end up taking away from the experience for me.

KannibalKween

Queen of the Dark
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 3, 2013
They way I see it is if you are going to do fake pokemon, don't do a couple it would be better to do something like I am doing were I am making a new pokedex with only a few original pokemon in it the rest are fakemon.

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
Personally, I haven't finished any hack with fakemon (except one, let me finish) since they are overused. However, DJG's Ruby Destiny Life of Guardians really brought them in since the story developed well around them. However, the little fakemon here and there weren't great in my opinion.
Having fakemon only as legendaries/rares brings in the loving feel, like how I felt about Gabrieleon and Chaomega, etc. I hope you take these thoughts into consideration. Developing a good storyline around the fakemon helps all the way!

Gandhi Savage

[FONT=Maven Pro][COLOR=#00AAFF]OJAMA DELTA HURRICA
Years
It really depends on how well made they are. If they look nice, given decent stats and a usable movepool I'd certainly use one. For example, I used the evolution of Skarmory in Life of Guardians and really liked it, however some people will avoid hacks containing Pokémon. If you get the balance right and don't overdo it then I think Fakémon really add to hacks, especially legendaries.

xboxmandude

Rom Hacker
Years
Well it depends mostly on the person playing your hack.
You see... For some, fakemon are cool infact even considered to be better than many pokemon.

For others... Fakemon may or may not ruin the experience of the hacked game. Depends on how well the game is made.

And some, myself included... think that the bizarre idea of fakemon is just stupid. No offense.
I actually find some of the sinnoh pokemon weird. And unova is weird too...

But.. whatever you pick. Fakemon, no fakemon.
I'm sure your hack will turn out great.
Good luck, god speed, may the force be with you...
And peace out
LOL

nano351

Metal and Color games are best
Years
  • Seen Jun 23, 2013
I think Fakemon are always neat. I'd say that they're one of the biggest areas where there's huge potential to see something cool and interesting, but I feel like they also create a lot of work for the creator which means they may never finish the project!

Mystery Man

Don't be like me!
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 21, 2023
For me, Fakemon do enhance the experience of playing a Pokemon hack.
1) Originality. Less people have Fakemon because of their reputation and the additional work they need.

2) Difficulty. I know pretty much all of the Pokemon and their strengths and weaknesses. Adding Fakemon makes the hack more difficult without being ridiculous because you have to experiment first, you will not know their weaknesses right off the bat. You will also not know which Fakemon are powerful, so really, you will not know which Pokemon are ultimately powerful or weak, thus having your team composed of not just powerful Pokemon, but a more diverse group.

3) More suspense. You do not know the movepools of the Fakemon. You also do not know whether your Fakemon is going to evolve. When we do not know what is weak and powerful, we will be inclined to experiment and see which Fakemon are worth keeping. Also, hackers can be more creative with the story of their hack by adding a unique attribute to their main legendaries (if that is where the story is centered on.)

4) Wow factor. Since I would not know all of the Fakemon in a hack, whenever I see one that is ultra cool or ultra intimidating = wow.

Last edited:

Bug.Catcher.Nakata

Alert but not Alarmed
Years
Fakemon encourage me to catch more pokemon - I'm not going to bother catching a tentacool or a spearow, but if there are a few fakemon then I want to know their types and moves and stuff. It can be hard to come up with good ones, though, and sometimes they aren't very subtle. New evolutions are always exciting.

I wholeheartedly agree with what gogojjtech said, about how it helps to write the storyline in a way which really brings the fakemon in. Otherwise I find myself seeing a fakemon and thinking "do you even go here?"

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2014
As long as they're designed well, I'm all for Fakemon. However, make sure they fit in with the game. Like they should be in a separate region or in a certain part of the region. Fake legendaries are cool too. I have only one Fakemon in my hack, which is a legendary. Do what you want.

Back