• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your opinion on the infamous VoltTurn strategy?

chaos11011

[untitled]
Years
  • Age 27
  • MA
  • Seen May 4, 2021
I don't know if this is in the right place or not.

If you play OU, you are bound to know what the term "VoltTurn" is. If you do not, it's a playstyle where you have 2 or more members of your team wielding the move Volt Switch or U-Turn. This strategy is really common in the OU metagame, so common that some teams have devoted to abuse that strategy. The most common of these teams are a Psuedo Sand team with Tyranitar, Landorus, Rotom-W and Scizor. The other two slots can be used for Celebi, Starmie or whatever else floats your boat.

What do you think about VoltTurn?

Do you play VoltTurn?

What is your VoltTurn counter if you have one?

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
What do you think about VoltTurn? --> Its broken. Lightning Rod Zapdos needs releasing or Volt Switch and U-Turn need banning on same team like SS + Drizzle. Takes no skill to win with, but what does take skill in B/W really lol.

Do you play VoltTurn? --> Yes i got to #1 with it so yeah lol.

What is your VoltTurn counter if you have one?--> Spam Outrage or one of the other 9999 broken mons in B/W with like base 6000 attack/speed. If that fails use the infamous Scarf HP Fire Rotom-C to nail them whilst keeping your own momentum.

Years
What do you think about VoltTurn?

I don't really play Pokemon too much nowadays, so I haven't really faced this strategy a whole lot. The idea seems pretty good though and judging by it's popularity, it's good in execution too.

Do you play VoltTurn?

I've incorporated the idea into my current team, so yes.

What is your VoltTurn counter if you have one?

I don't even know how to counter this kind of strategy, since they'll constantly be switching their Pokemon out and such. I'm guessing lots of entry hazards would hurt them a lot but I only have stealth rock so . . .

chaos11011

[untitled]
Years
  • Age 27
  • MA
  • Seen May 4, 2021
Time to answer my own questions!

What do you think about VoltTurn? It's a pretty solid strategy and with the proper team build it's extremely hard to get through, with the constant momentum and all. I would like it alot better if it wasn't so common in the metagame.

Do you play VoltTurn? On my higher tiered teams, no. But I do have a UU Mono Color team that has all but 1 Pokemon with U-Turn. I might try Braviary + Rotom-Fridge in NU too.

What is your VoltTurn counter if you have one? The best tatic to fight Volt Turn in my opinion is to set up hazards quick and always switch to a counter. Once they have switched enough they are either low enough from hazard damage to be KO'd by CB Scizor or one of the key users of the tatic has been taken down so you can work around the strategy at much ease. I've also seen a Gyarados and Tangrowth set on Smogon that are specifically trained to counter this strategy.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Volturning sucks so much. Like I'm so glad the majority of PC members stick to weather and not really volturning because no skillz needed as said. It's basically why I avoid Smogon because like everyone uses it to seem smart/great but really the playstyle is that bad that anyone can do it (with those 6-8 Pokemon, because I tried doing it w/ other Pokemon that know Volt Switch and U-turn and it failed, so really, when a whole playstyle can only use a certain amount of Pokemon and that it's so common idk IT DRIVES ME CRAZY).

All for banning it, because it offers nothing to battling whatsoever. Oh yeah, and I can't beat it mainly because I don't have a dedicated team for beating it. So as a result when I see volturn I want to forfeit but then I don't because I'm nice :3

Anti

return of the king
Years
While I think as a playstyle it is a little overrated (it's extremely predictable and the momentum can be turned against VoltTurn teams to *some* degree), I must nevertheless echo the sentiments of previous posters and agree that damage+switch moves are so easy to abuse without having any kind of skill at all that I just don't know why anyone would ever want to use such a bland, formulaic type of team.

Also, Bulk Up Breloom is actually really good! Celebi and to a lesser extent Gliscor aren't too taxing to lure and remove. IDK how well it actually does against VoltTurn though as I haven't seen it on our server much in a few months. It used to be more common here, hehe.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
Years
  • Age 32
  • NSFW
  • Seen Jun 18, 2019
It's this Gen's version of DragSteel. It's the most common and easiest strategy to use, so it's going to be prevalent. It's probably not the best strategy, but it works often enough to be viable.

Back