• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Yanmega is a monster

ProfDunsparce

And now I become Dunsparce...
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jun 15, 2014
So I've only played maybe 10 battles or so with a new team that I put together. On this team, I have chosen to use a less-used pokemon and that pokemon is Yanmega. And he has definitely impressed me in my battles so far. Obviously, he has some very significant weaknesses (quad weakness to stealth rock, very low SpD), but he's been incredible for me as a late game cleaner, mercilessly ripping apart weakened pokemon. Here's the set I've been using:

Yanmega@Life Orb
Modest Nature
Speed Boost
252 SpA/ 252 Spe/ 4 HP
-Protect
-Bug Buzz
-Air Slash
-Shadow Ball

Yanmega functions a lot like a special variant of Sharpedo. After just a few turns, he'll be near impossible to outspeed. It also has certain advantages over Sharpedo. Although his move pool is fairly limited, Air Slash and its 30 % flinch rate works very well with speed boost. Also, Yanmega isn't as weak to priority as Sharpedo is, sporting a quad resistance to Mach Punch and Vacuum wave, as well as decent enough physical defense to shrug off most other priority. The exception to this is Mega Pinsir and Talonflame, who absolutely destroy him.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw this out there for fun and to warn you: Do not underestimate this pokemon.

As a discussion topic, I'd be interested in hearing about other lesser-used pokemon/movesets people have had good success with!

RedWarrior702

Returning to the community!
Years
I absolutely love Yanmega; great and solid member on my team since gen 4. I use Claydol as well as a bulky Spinner, and it can stand on its own at times.
Modest (Although a nature like Bold works as well)
@ Weakness Policy
252 HP/ 200 Sp. Def/ 60 Sp. Att (kinda guessed on the last two stats since it's my own set and I didn't originally write it down)
Rapid Spin
Ice Beam
Earth Power
Cosmic Power

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2014
Actually, Yanmega is weaker to priority than Sharpedo this generation because Brave Bird Talonflame is everywhere (making Mach Punches less common) while Sharpedo's saving grace is its resist to Bullet Punch.

Anyway, we recommend you to play with people's expectations. Remember, Ancient Power is now a perfect replacement for HP Rock.

248+ SpA Life Orb Yanmega Ancient Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 244-291 (131.8 - 157.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
248+ SpA Life Orb Yanmega Ancient Power vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 161-192 (104.5 - 124.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Yanmega @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
Level: 50
EVs1: 252 Spd / 4 HP / 4 Def / 248 SAtk
EVs2: 252 Spd / 4 SDef / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash
- Ancient Power
- Hidden Power [Ground] / Substitute

Protect is only a crutch. 95 base speed is fast enough so that you can revenge kill most other mons. HP Ground deals at least 63.1% to Heatran, so after a bit of prior damage it won't be able to wall you anymore. Alternatively, a well-timed Substitute makes it much easier to read incoming Talonflames or Pinsirs.
Scarf-Salamence is a bane of its existence, so put on SR and whittle down as soon as possible. A little side note: A super effective Ancient Power is stronger than a neutral Air Slash, so it is the safer option against Flying types unless you need them to flinch - a situation Yanmega should not be in at all considering how frail it is.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
Never been a fan of sub life orb sets, you kill yourself in about 2 turns with sand and sr up. :/

Anyway Yanmega's issue is thats its just essentially a worse Volcarona which is why its not used very much.

1. Volc has more overall bulk which means it can actually utilize Roost which makes it easier to sweep if you go for that option, Quiver Dance also factors in with the aforementioned point.
2. Steel types and fairies poop upon Yanmega. Volc has less counters and checks.
3. Volc can also boost its speed.
4. Volc has better coverage options available.
5. Better resistances which includes Bullet Punch.
6. Yanmega cant boost its special attack so struggles against anything with reasonable bulk.

My point in a nutshell, Volc can do everything Speed Boost Yanmega can do but better. Infact id rather use Venomoth than Yanmega in the current metagame, Venomoth also gives Tinted Lense Yanmega competition but i digress. Speaking of TInted lense, yeah, if you want to actually distinguish it and make it not an inferior Volcarona, i suggest you use Specs Tinted Lense to blow past its counters and checks.

Hypnosis is also another option to not make it inferior to Volc but lolHypnosis. Moth does the whole sleep n sweep thing better imo.

Last edited:
Back