• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Tutorial] How to extract and translate text pokrmon HG/SS

simonrule18

Iwant to create my own pokemon
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Sep 18, 2013
In this tutorial im gonna show you how can extract and translate text from pokemon HG/SS.

Tools:
newpoketext
NdsTools

--------------------------------------------------

1) Extract ALL the files to 'thenewpoketext' folder.

2) Remember to have your Pokemon HG/SS Rom inside thenewpoketext folder.

3) Run thenewpoketext. Once you run thenewpoketext, a Command Prompt will pop up.

4) For the Command Prompt, type in your Rom Name. (So if you have pkmss.nds as your Rom name, then in the Command Prompt you'll type in "pkmss.nds" (without the quotations and press Enter).

5)you'll have a Folder in 'thenewpoketext' folder called "tmp_[rom name here]" Wait for That Folder to be Fully Extracted. (NOTE: DON'T CLOSE THE COMMAND PROMPT, BECAUSE YOU'LL JUST CONFUSE YOURSELF. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED).

6) Open the Folder "tmp_[romnamehere]" and Double Click the "ROOT" Folder. Double Click the "a" folder. Double click the "0" folder. And then Double Click the "2" Folder.

7) Move 7 file to "msgdata" folder.

8) Rename the 7.file to "msg.narc" (without the quotations).

9) Now Back to the Command Prompt, type in "get 43 options.xml" or "getall dialogue.xml" (without the quotations).

10) Edit xml file with Notepad++ translate text but you have to change false = true save in xml file.

11) Go to newpoketext [ patch.xml options or dialogue.xml ].

12) Go to "msgdata" folder rename "msg.narc" and move to "Root/a/0/2".

13) Go To newpoketext "mkrom pkmss.nds"

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Seen Jul 25, 2023
I was wondering, how do translate text with Notepad++? I never used it before. Unless you just use that to edit and translate in google or babblefish. Nice tutorial, though.

simonrule18

Iwant to create my own pokemon
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Sep 18, 2013
I was wondering, how do translate text with Notepad++? I never used it before. Unless you just use that to edit and translate in google or babblefish. Nice tutorial, though.
translate 43 options open with notepad++ change text japonais to english or...

Years
After I enter the ROM that I want to edit in the cmd prompt, it automatically closes.

EDIT: Ah, I see. You didn't say to put NDStools into the other folder... I got it now.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 18, 2020
Thanks, makes my life easier by getting some more resources for my game.

Sliter

Gaijin Trainer
Years
I tried with Pokemon Platinum but the folders are different from HG/SS:
I want to translate it to my language, which files I should get here? since I have to translate everything

ok I made some mistake but finally got it, for who are going mess in platinum you have to change the file name as well, it will extract the "Msgdata" but platinum use the "pl_msgdata", change like he teached in the tuto... was a pain learning this by myself lol (lost a lot of time and stufsXD)

But I still with problem, I don't know why when I try to patch the xml it (look that) go like it worked, then I create the rom and se that nothing changed ... whats going wrong here ? x-x pls help
I just had to change= false to true lol

Last edited:
Back