• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Never say never... except when describing NeverUsed! [NU Discussion] (PotF #2 posted)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
NEVERUSED DISCUSSION

Sup? Do you like NeverUsed? Do you know what NeverUsed is? NU's the lowest tier featuring fully evolved Pokemon (although a lot of NFE's are included in NU) and it's the most enjoyable for some people. ;) One of the most knowledgeable people about said tier posted a thread about NU a while back (Vrai), and now that NU's picking up again with the recent regulars getting into it I decided to make a new thread. The older one affected BW NU, whereas this one will deal with B2W2 NU (totally a difference as some of the Pokemon in the original thread aren't really used as much, or aren't in NU anymore!)

DIFFERENCES BETWEEN OU AND NU
Concepts taken from Vrai's original NU thread.

- NU Pokemon are generally a lot weaker than OU mons. NU Pokemon usually require a lot of setting up to get anywhere near the levels of OU Pokemon - which usually have much higher bulk, too in most cases too! However, due to that, NU mons can make use of Eviolite to make their defenses a bit higher, which is something Chansey makes use of, which is commonly seen in OU teams. Overall though, NU has a lot of powerhouses too, just to a lesser extent than OU.

- No instant weather! Although that might be an obvious thing, it means weather doesn't really dominate the tier, as opposed to OU. This is because it requires a turn of setting up and they need to rely on Damp Rock, which means at least two Pokemon usually have to give up a move slot for Rain Dance or Sunny Day. That doesn't mean there aren't great weather sweepers though, as some of those are often seen in OU even, such as Sawsbuck.

- Hazards as well as stall in general aren't used that commonly as NU tends to be a more offensively-based tier. While there are the occasional CopyRoar teams (a team which sets up Hazards, then uses Prankster Roar then Copycat with Riolu) and a few hazard-based teams, there's not that many dedicated to completely stalling and PHazing the opponents, and rather only offensive or defensive teams.

- As well as lack of hazards most of the time, there aren't that many completely reliable spinners, as two of the most common ones are actually weak to SR, as opposed to spinners in OU which aren't. As a result, spinners are most likely seen on teams with multiple birds that may need spin support.

- There's not many dragons in NU, and there's also not really many steel types to overcome them, unlike in OU and the dragons can just set up on the steel types, with them unable to do that much in return (plus they're not very common on teams, either).

- Finally there's not a good range of priority attacks in NU, and the main ones really are Mach Punch, Aqua Jet and Sucker Punch. Sucker Punch however is used the most often, as Skuntank appears on a lot in teams - and is even in the top 13 of the most used in the tier!

TOP 13 AS OF THE START OF THE MONTH

(Note that while I've updated the order of the small points on the Pokemon, I have removed the images here, and haven't added anything for anything else. This is because the metagame just lost a lot of big players, and waiting a month after is when you'll get a clearer picture of what's going on, rather than just what was going on due to Hail and the big names dominating - expect to see Golurk, Musharna, Gardevoir, Skuntank, Vileplume, Roselia, Tangela, and Alomomola as common players in the new metagame, as well as other common ones such as Ludicolo and Braviary which are still big threats).

If you're not familiar with NU, chances are you'll likely think "who would use these?", or if you are familiar you might be a little more cautious in regards to the list! I'll break it down into the most common moveset, why it's a threat and now to beat it. As for how to beat it I just included a few things that came to mind first. There's other ways to beat them but this is a basic guide for introducing people to the tier. As for the sets, I used the ones best relating to sets listed in the analysis' that you'll likely see when laddering (because sometimes people on ladder use different sets from the norm).

Other notable "common" Pokemon in NU include Zangoose, Gorbyss, Articuno, Carracosta, Gurdurr, Probopass, Lickilicky, Regirock and a few others I've probably forgotten!

1. GOLURK

Why is it used?
Golurk has a useful typing, Ghost / Ground. This can be good in NU as due to the amount of Flying-types teams have spinners and therefore it can stop most spinners, and set up Stealth Rock itself. It also has very good attack, allowing it to easily run a Choice Band set, surprising people who may be expecting it to be another set which is played less offensively.

What's it most likely to run?
Golurk @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Fist
200 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Def / 44 Spe
Adamant
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Shadow Punch

How do I beat it?
Golurk is let down by its Speed, and as a result, faster Pokemon usually don't have many problems taking it out. Strong water types such as Ludicolo, Gorebyss and Samurott will force it out as it can do very little against them most of the time. Alomomola can switch in easily against it, as well as Tangela, both taking little damage and proceeding to take it out easily, or potentially burn it in Alomomola's case.

2. GARDEVOIR

Why is it used?
Gardevoir has really good Speed, good Special Defense / Special Attack and the capability to run a variety of sets, so you never quite know that it'll likely have. Other than that, it also has a useful ability in Trace, allowing it to again the upper hand if necessary - for example against a Ludicolo that just set up Rain Dance, if it has Signal Beam, and so on.

Gardevoir @ Trace
Choice Scarf / Choice Specs
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest
- Psychic
- Signal Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast

How do I beat it?
It depends on the set it's running. If it's choice locked into Psychic or something, then Skuntank with Pursuit for sure. Golem can switch in against Gardevoir and break its Substitute on the CM set with Earthquake and then Sucker Punching when it tries to attack, killing it with its high attack stat. Gardevoir without Signal Beam or Shadow Ball can be beaten by Musharna with Signal Beam as it can set up on it and eventually kill it with Signal Beam.

3. SAWK

Why is it used?
It is really strong with a Choice Band, and a great revenge killer with Choice Scarf. Adding to that, it also has Sturdy and the newly released Mold Breaker to play with. The former can help it sweep as long as SR isn't up, while the latter helps it destroy Sturdy mons that often are leads in NU, such as Golem, Probopass and so on. Along with its STAB of Close Combat, it also has access to Ice Punch, to hit expected flying types switching in, and Earthquake to destroy Poison-types hoping that Sawk chooses Close Combat.

Sawk @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sturdy
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly / Adamant
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

How do I beat it?
It depends on what it's using. It usually doesn't want to stay in on psychic types, and a Musharna switch in isn't hurt much by Sawk if it's Choice Scarf and if it's band it's hurt a little more. A well-timed Alomomola burn can hurt Sawk badly and make sure it doesn't 2HKO it, which it can otherwise do with the band set. Misdreavus is a counter to it as it can use Wil-o-Wisp on it, is immune to Close Combat and isn't hurt much by anything else it can throw at it. Weezing is a counter to the Sturdy set, however it must be aware that the Mold Breaker

4. ALOMOMOLA

Why is it used?
Alomomola has Wish, Regenerator, and amazing Defence. With this in mind, it's good at stalling the physical threats with Guts, such as Swellow, which can't OHKO and has no boosts, resulting in it dying against it thanks to Alomomola having Wish. It can also occasionally inflict a burn on something like Sawk through Scald, ruining it for the rest of the match - which is really useful. It's also the best switch-in to CB Braviary, which is one of the bigger threats in the tier.

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold / Impish
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic
- Scald / Waterfall

How do I beat it?
Pretty easily if you know what you're doing! Vileplume can avoid Toxic and only has to worry about Scald burns, and as a result can just Giga Drain it away. Certain Guts users such as Gurdurr and Zangoose can actually set up on it as well as Substitute users as Scald and Waterfall usually doesn't break many Subs, depending on the reason they're using Substitute for. If it's Braviary then Alomomola is better switching out as it'll have difficulty breaking the subs either way. If it's something with Calm Mind, it has a chance if it's using Waterfall but otherwise it's safer to switch to another Pokemon to stop it from setting up.

5. MILTANK

Why is it used?
Miltank has great Defence, it has a recovery move with higher PP than Musharna's, and has Heal Bell, plus a STAB that has a chance of causing Paralysis. Along with that, it can either hit Ghost types with Scrappy, resist the power of a few strong moves with Thick Fat, or raise its attack with Sap Sipper - something very useful in NU, considering the amount of grass types, and sleep-inducing moves in the tier. Adding to that, it can also set up Stealth Rock!

Miltank @ Leftovers
Trait: Thick Fat
252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful
- Body Slam
- Heal Bell
- Milk Drink
- Stealth Rock / Toxic / Thunder Wave

How do I beat it?
Gurdurr isn't worried by Body Slam paralysing it as it will usually raise its attack given it has Guts, and then can set up on it with Bulk Up, while Miltank can't do much in return other than rely on its Defence. Choice Band Sawk also can get rid of it, while strong special attackers usually don't have issues taking out Miltank and can set up on it, given that they aren't paralysed as a result of being set up on.

6. ARMALDO

Why is it used?
Armaldo can spin, has access to Stealth Rock and has a useful typing in Rock / Bug with relatively good Defences that can easily take a few hits from certain NU Pokemon.

Armaldo @ Leftovers
Trait: Battle Armor
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish
- X-Scissor
- Rock Slide / Rock Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin

How do I beat it?
Gurdurr isn't hurt by either of Armaldo's STABs and can use Bulk Up on it, raising your own stats and helping against possible switch-ins. It you have a strong Water-type then Armaldo shouldn't pose too much of a threat to you. Alomomola also has no problems taking it on, with either Waterfall or Scald, and otherwise just having a reliable SR user and forcing it to switch out a bit is also a great way to wear it down.

7. BRAVIARY

Why is it used?
Braviary can be a real threat to teams if they don't play around its sets easily. Not only is it a strong attacker, it has the capability to easily run Band, Scarf and Bulk Up sets. It also has access to more than just its STABs of Return and Brave Bird - it also has something to take out a physical wall expecting either of those two: Superpower. In general it also has Defiant in most cases, which gives it an extra attack boost to its already strong power. For those expecting Bulk Up and switch into Choice Band, then that can be a costly mistake as they can feel the wrath of Superpower and die.

Braviary @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Defiant
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Brave Bird
- Return

How do I beat it?
Stealth Rock can kill it if it's choiced and you have a few reliable physical walls. Faster Pokemon with Ice Beam or Rock Slide, or Rock Blast, or something like Rotom-F which can outspeed and badly hurt Braviary. The same would apply to the Bulk Up set in regards to Rotom-F and Rotom-S, too. However, they need to be aware of Roost. On the other hand, Bastiodon with Roar and Probopass' Power Gem can stall out Roost and isn't even 3hko'd by +6 attack Braviary. Otherwise it's best to let it wear down HP with Substitute and Brave Bird.

8. LUDICOLO

Why is it used?
Ludicolo can make a great rain sweeper, with access to Ice Beam, Giga Drain and Surf/Hydro Pump, and Rain Dance. With its stats in mind too, it can outspeed a lot of NU and do a lot of damage to it, depending on what it uses. It takes one wrong predict and then either you get seeded, or it sets up Rain Dance. As well as this, it has a great typing which gives it a lot of useful resistances such as Ground, and two powerful STABs.

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest
- Surf / Hydro Pump
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance

How do I beat it?
Most of the time it carries Life Orb, so you can stall it out by sacing a few mons, or using a strong priority user, such as Cacturne and Skuntank can do a lot of damage to it in most cases, usually causing it to die. If not you can stall Rain Dance out, or otherwise make sure it doesn't set up Rain Dance by predicting what it'll do, or get in a Thunder Wave when you know it's going to set up, which'll make it a lot less threatening to you. Mantine can also restore HP with Hydro Pump and Surf, while Giga Drain and Ice Beam don't do much to it, while it can Air Slash back in return thanks to its good Special Defence.

9. SKUNTANK

Why is it used?
Skuntank can be one of the most useful Pokemon in NU as a utility, and will likely rise in usage as the main go-to Dark-type Pokemon thanks to Absol leaving NU. Skuntank has access to Sucker Punch, it can trap Psychic types that are choice-locked, it can Taunt Pokemon trying to set up and it has two strong STABs to choose from as a last slot!

Skuntank @ Black Sludge / Dread Plate
Trait: Aftermath
252 Atk / 220 SpD / 36 Spe
Adamant
- Sucker Punch
- Taunt
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab / Crunch

How do I beat it?
Skuntank unfortunately has a weakness to Ground-type attacks, something that is common in NU. It can't do that much against Golem and therefore has to switch out or be forced to die to Earthquake. Golurk isn't always killed by Sucker Punch and can OHKO with Earthquake, Marowak has no issue with taking it out, and nor does Sawk with Earthquake. Adding to that, strong physical and special attackers in general force it out as it can't always OHKO them all of the time. Even Musharna can beat it if it runs LO + HP Ground, which means Skuntank dies if it predicts incorrectly.

10. CHARIZARD

Why is it used?
It's strong! In sun (and in general) it can definitely be a strong attacker with spin support, and played correctly can make a lot of teams wish they set up Stealth Rock earlier.

Charizard @ Leftovers
Trait: Solar Power
4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid
- Fire Blast
- Sunny Day
- Air Slash
- Solarbeam

How do I beat it?
Stealth Rock. While it Roosts Golem can Earthquake and take out this lizard creature. It also may have Solar Power, meaning it dies quicker if you have some sort of priority on your team. Water-types not in sun can do a lot to it as well as faster Pokemon, like a fast Electric-type that can switch in after sac'ing a mon, which can leave a huge dent in Charizard. Flareon can also absorb everything it has to throw at it, with only Air Slash reliably hitting it, as well as Specially Defensive Altaria.

11. MUSHARNA

Why is it used?
Musharna is one of the best, if not the best defensive Psychic type. It can use both Heal Bell and Wish, as well as raise its already good Special Attack and Special Defense with Calm Mind, making it hard for special attackers to beat it and also stopping certain Pokemon like Sawk and Gurdurr from sweeping, and setting up in the latter case by threatening it with Psychic. While it's slow, it's still very useful and with good prediction can stall out, or wipe out a team, depending on what opportunities it has.

Musharna @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronise
240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
Bold
- Moonlight
- Signal Beam
- Calm Mind
- Psychic

How do I beat it?
Skuntank an Golurk are probably the best things to use to beat it. Skuntank can Taunt it if it has Baton Pass or tries to Moonlight, or Pursuits it if it's switching out, taking away half of its HP most of the time. Usually unless Musharna predicts right, it's badly damaged, while CB Golurk can 2HKO it easily. Other fast ghost types usually don't have many issues setting up on or sweeping it.

12. EELEKTROSS

Why is it used?
Eelektross has an immunity to the one thing it's weak to - Ground-type attacks. Other than that, it great coverage moves and can do pretty well against most leads, despite being a type that usually doesn't do that well against them. It can also run both physical and special sets and due to its strong sPA if you predict wrong then you may end up losing a Pokemon.

Eelektross @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Giga Drain
- Volt Switch

How do I beat it?
Anything with strong physical or special attacks. Given that you can't actually abuse its Ground weakness without Mold Breaker - Sawk can actually do well against it thanks to Earthquake! Generally if it's running a special set it's harder to beat, however certain Pokemon like Lickilicky can switch in, heal off damage.

13. HAUNTER

Why is it used?
Haunter is great because it can disable the opponents attack trying to hurt it and then attack back directly with Sludge Bomb. In other cases it has HP ground for Skuntank and if played well can beat it without too much damage taken.

Haunter @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid
- Substitute
- Disable
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb

How do I beat it?
Skuntank can beat sets that don't run HP ground. It can use Pursuit or Crunch if it has it, then wait for Haunter to disable it, if it's already in a Substitute. Then Taunt and Sucker Punch and Pursuit if you still have it. If it's already in a Substitute then just Taunt, Sucker Punch and Pursuit, or Pursuit and so on. Faster Psychic Pokemon can also take it out, and anything with Rock Blast can take it out without any worries. Due to it being so frail it can also barely take a hit, so just use a strong attacker and you should be fine against it as long as you aren't choiced.

DISCUSS
Now the top 13 (right now) are covered, time to discuss about the tier, yay!!! You can post anything you like here as long as it relates to NU. :) I'll also post something like set of the week if you guys come up with creative stuff and eventually they can be included in this updated thread, woo.

Credits to shnen for proof-reading although I've likely made mistakes since then (go me!!!).

Last edited:

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
hot

i'll probably start getting back into NU thanks to this!

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Hm.

Sometimes for kicks, I'd usually run Sap Sipper over Thick Fat on Milktank to counter Spore (because ohhh how I hate Amoonguss) but yeah, Heal Bell could be just as good. ^^ I also run Sub + Calm Mind on Gardevoir; for the added pressure. But that's just me.

I'm surprised Regirock and Swellow isn't on the list; I see them most of the time, nowadays. @__@ Then again, there are better choices~

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Well, I don't have that much to sa... hm.

Sometimes for kicks, I'd usually run Sap Sipper over Thick Fat on Milktank to counter Spore (because ohhh how I hate Amoonguss) but yeah, Heal Bell could be just as good. ^^ I also run Sub + Calm Mind on Gardevoir; for the added pressure. But that's just me.

I'm surprised Regirock and Swellow isn't on the list; I see them most of the time, nowadays. @__@ Then again, there are better choices~

Me too @ Miltank. Well, when I used to run it. Unfortunately Amoonguss ended up beating me thanks to Sludge Bomb critting or poisoning or Clear Smog or... something. :( But ya so handy against other Pokemon in general though!

But yeah, I was just listing the most common according to the ladder stats, so that's why they're not other sets (altho I agree that has been p good @ Gardevoir!!!)

idk I don't see Swellow that often. If anything I see Gurdurr more and I'm sad it isn't on the list. I love Gurdurr. :(

Years
19. HAUNTER

How do I beat it?
Skuntank can beat sets that don't run HP ground. It can use Pursuit or Crunch if it has it, then wait for Haunter to disable it, if it's already in a Substitute. Then Taunt and Sucker Punch and Pursuit if you still have it. If it's already in a Substitute then just Taunt, Sucker Punch and Pursuit, or Pursuit and so on. Faster Psychic Pokemon can also take it out, and anything with Rock Blast can take it out without any worries. Due to it being so frail it can also barely take a hit, so just use a strong attacker and you should be fine against it as long as you aren't choiced..[/div]​

[/quote]

Omg, thank you so much Nica, I've been struggling with Haunters since the beginning of time. I the little buggers >.<

Oh, and shouldn't Zangoose be somewhere on the top 20? :o

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Omg, thank you so much Nica, I've been struggling with Haunters since the beginning of time. I the little buggers >.<

Oh, and shouldn't Zangoose be somewhere on the top 20? :o

Apparently, it should. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Zangoose isn't on there because its low defenses will make revenge killing it easy. That, and the fact that Toxic poison will eventually take its toll on it. If Zangoose should make it on there, it'd be:
-Facade
-Close Combat
-Night Slash
-Quick Attack
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Toxic Orb
Ability: Toxic Boost

or
-Swords Dance
-Facade
-Close Combat
-Night Slash/Quick Attack
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Toxic Orb
Ability: Toxic Boost

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
No Zangoose isn't on there because I used the top 20 according to the ladder usage stats. :x If I was ranking them in strength it'd be different. Zangoose is strong tho but... Gurdurr can totally take it. ;)

Years
Gurdurr can totally take it. ;)
Facade does 50%+ minimum to max hp gurdurr, zangoose be strong :]

Anyway, I wanted to talk about entry hazards in NU.
Hazards are actually quite helpful when you're running an offensive team(contrary to the OP), since they let you net a lot of KOs, such as zangoose 2hkoing alomomolola. Offensively, Cacturne and Glalie are great hazard setters and both of them are "anti-leads", especially since cacturne can OHKO lead golems with bullet seed and Glalie having access to explosion. Defensively, the main hazard set is Garborder. Garborder is absolutely garbage (pun intended) because of its typing and mediocore defensive stats(it is kind of like Muk). But an offensive team with either Glalie or Cacturne as a lead and hazard setter will put a lot of pressure on the opponent.

Another aspect of hazards is spinblocking, and I came upon a really underrated ghost type. Everyone uses Golurk as their spinblocker, but Shellsmashcoal(a set that is getting more and more usage) beats it. Instead, I started using Frillish, and it is amazing if you run a stall team and need a solid spinblocker. Frillish is probably not even in the top 50's in usage, but it beats every common rapid spinner in NU(shellsmashcoal, physically defensive armaldo) because it has access to Stab, super effective Scald. Its movepool also contains recover and will-o-wisp, making it really hard to take down and crippling the opponent's pokes.

Spinners; however, are really rare in NU. (especially since AngrySnowflake moved up to RU :[ ) So if you have hazards down and you have a decent spinblocker(like frillish), the hazards are probably there to stay. Idk, but that could mean stall teams will emerge. But stall is really hard to pull off in NU, since there are too many powerhouses to check.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Facade does 50%+ minimum to max hp gurdurr, zangoose be strong :]

Anyway, I wanted to talk about entry hazards in NU.
Hazards are actually quite helpful when you're running an offensive team(contrary to the OP), since they let you net a lot of KOs, such as zangoose 2hkoing alomomolola. Offensively, Cacturne and Glalie are great hazard setters and both of them are "anti-leads", especially since cacturne can OHKO lead golems with bullet seed and Glalie having access to explosion. Defensively, the main hazard set is Garborder. Garborder is absolutely garbage (pun intended) because of its typing and mediocore defensive stats(it is kind of like Muk). But an offensive team with either Glalie or Cacturne as a lead and hazard setter will put a lot of pressure on the opponent.

Another aspect of hazards is spinblocking, and I came upon a really underrated ghost type. Everyone uses Golurk as their spinblocker, but Shellsmashcoal(a set that is getting more and more usage) beats it. Instead, I started using Frillish, and it is amazing if you run a stall team and need a solid spinblocker. Frillish is probably not even in the top 50's in usage, but it beats every common rapid spinner in NU(shellsmashcoal, physically defensive armaldo) because it has access to Stab, super effective Scald. Its movepool also contains recover and will-o-wisp, making it really hard to take down and crippling the opponent's pokes.

Spinners; however, are really rare in NU. (especially since AngrySnowflake moved up to RU :[ ) So if you have hazards down and you have a decent spinblocker(like frillish), the hazards are probably there to stay. Idk, but that could mean stall teams will emerge. But stall is really hard to pull off in NU, since there are too many powerhouses to check.

ya I meant if it has some sort of status and Mach Punches while it does Extremespeed, tho.

As for hazards... stall teams won't emerge just because Frillish exists. It's existed for a while and people do know of it but just choose not to use it. I'd prefer something like Misdreavus tbh, at least it has other purposes other than spinblocking whereas Frillish I don't really see standing up that well in general to really help the team in other ways. ;(

Years
ya I meant if it has some sort of status and Mach Punches while it does Extremespeed, tho.

As for hazards... stall teams won't emerge just because Frillish exists. It's existed for a while and people do know of it but just choose not to use it. I'd prefer something like Misdreavus tbh, at least it has other purposes other than spinblocking whereas Frillish I don't really see standing up that well in general to really help the team in other ways. ;(

I agree, stall is really hard to pull off due to the variety of threats and powerhouses in NU and the shortage of walls to shut them down.(especially SubBU braviary, that thing is a *****) But stall, like in any other tier, could work in NU. It'll be a challenge, but maybe I can try to create a stall team when I have time? I still think that Frillish is the way better spinblocker if you want a FULL stall team(over misdreavus) though.

Years
  • Age 24
  • =/
  • Seen Feb 12, 2013
9. Sawk
9. Armaldo
Lolz, it's both 9.

Btw very nice NU Guide so I'll improve my NU Battling skill. :3

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Well woohoo and I discussed his failed stall idea on the server, but this thread cannot die!

So imma bring up a discussion! Which Pokemon do you think is the most overpowered in NU or something you think could deserve a ban? Give reasons for your points as to why it is overpowered or might need banning, etc!!!

Years
Well woohoo and I discussed his failed stall idea on the server, but this thread cannot die!

How was that a failed idea? I was too lazy(and too busy) to try and make one. :[
Hmm overpowered poke? Umm Amoonguss' top one in usage right now, and there've been some talk of it possibly moving up, but it really isn't that hard to counter(at least check) it. Also, i've seen a smogon thread about the best pokemon in NU, and the majority of the people said it was braviary. IMO though, the most underrated poke in NU right now is Frillish, and i've stated why in my previous post ;]

Aryan143

The Fennekin Fan!
Years
I must say that Arbok is a good one to use in the tier. I have sweeped the opponent's team with a Arbok.

Arbok @ Leftovers
Trait: Shed Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Coil
- Gunk Shot
- Sucker Punch/Crunch/Earthquake/Elemental Fangs
- Glare

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
How was that a failed idea? I was too lazy(and too busy) to try and make one. :[
Hmm overpowered poke? Umm Amoonguss' top one in usage right now, and there've been some talk of it possibly moving up, but it really isn't that hard to counter(at least check) it. Also, i've seen a smogon thread about the best pokemon in NU, and the majority of the people said it was braviary. IMO though, the most underrated poke in NU right now is Frillish, and i've stated why in my previous post ;]

Nope you said it sucked!

Yeah I don't think Amoonguss is overpowered. But to me I think Gorebyss/Ludicolo/Emboar/Samurott are on the border of that (as well as Braviary), because it's either one wrong prediction and you get swept, or assuming the wrong set and so on. ;(

I must say that Arbok is a good one to use in the tier. I have sweeped the opponent's team with a Arbok.

Arbok @ Leftovers
Trait: Shed Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Coil
- Gunk Shot
- Sucker Punch/Crunch/Earthquake/Elemental Fangs
- Glare

It can work but there's so many psychic types in the tier tbh (and even with one Coil Golem beats it iirc?) and seeing as most I see have used Sucker Punch... idk. It can be kind of easy to play around with Arbok with the right prediction imo.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
I can't think of any overpowered Pokemon in NU. Most threats can be easily covered tbh. Amoonguss had top usage when I last checked and I've read rumors of it moving up however I hardly think that's necessary. Musharna is a pretty top-tier threat. It's pretty hard to counter unless you know what set it runs (or you use some sort of dedicated technique to counter it lol). Amazing bulk coupled with a high spa and recovery results in a pretty powerful Pokemon.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I can't think of any overpowered Pokemon in NU. Most threats can be easily covered tbh. Amoonguss had top usage when I last checked and I've read rumors of it moving up however I hardly think that's necessary. Musharna is a pretty top-tier threat. It's pretty hard to counter unless you know what set it runs (or you use some sort of dedicated technique to counter it lol). Amazing bulk coupled with a high spa and recovery results in a pretty powerful Pokemon.

Not imo. If you have a Skuntank and it runs the normal set, just Pursuit it or Taunt it, depending on what the fourth slot is. Usually it's heal bell tho, so I just Pursuit and it dies. My Mushy, however, does not easily die, as I run HP ground woooo.

Nevertheless, guys, anyone reading this, respond to this okay! So earlier I thought of something when noticing Lickilicky had Belly Drum! How effective do you think this set would be:

Lickilicky @ Chople Berry
Cloud Nine
252 HP / 252 ATK / 4 SDEF
Adamant
- Thief
- Body Slam
- Wish
- Belly Drum

obv it'd need some support maybe, like Ninjask to raise its speed, altho its defenses are pretty good...

But anyway, Thief to hit ghosts/psychic types and steal their item - only really useful on psychic types, but owell, since you acquire LO or Leftovers it can be useful, Body Slam obv for STAB (or Return altho i like the chance of paralysis). Wish for healing off Belly Drum and Belly Drum for... attack. Other than steels/rocks, it can still do a lot to NU, given it has maybe some speed boost support and some fighting type to take out the other two early. Maybe Sawk given it can take out unsuspecting leads and usually there aren't more rock-types in the team. Chople is to help against weaker fighting types, but not really CB Sawk, so something like Misdreavus or Tangela (given it's not expecting it) can help. Otherwise... it can do a lot of damage to NU and not die too easily to priority, or SR, unlike a certain racoon or fire dragon.

THOUGHTS?

Years
Your musharna does not counter my skuntank as I use Dread Plate skuntank. Crunch does ~57% while +1 HP ground does less than half ;]

As for the Lickilicky, it is a pretty bad idea because, well, why would you use Lickilicky if you have linoone. Linoone has way better speed, about the same attack, a WAY better stab move(and coverage moves) in the form of extremespeed. It can also use pinch berries thanks to its ability, gluttony, which allows pinch berries to activate after it uses belly drum. 

Lickilicky, however, is easily revenge killed thanks to its horrible speed stat and lack of priority. It also has 4-moveslot syndrome if you decide to use both wish and belly drum, because you'd have to give up a slot for protect(using only wish is practically pointless), leaving you with only one move to actually attack. Lickilicky also requires a LOT more team support to setup and actually attempt a sweep. You'd have to pass it speed and eliminate the Pokemon that resists its coverage move, and even then it'd be nice to have a memento user/duel screens so you won't be revenge killed after you've set up. Linoone only requires some screens/a memento user because it is not revenge killed by common revenge killers(sawk, Rotom for example) because it has a wonderful priority move in extreme speed. It also doesn't have a problem with ghost types(and four moveslot syndrome) because it can use shadow claw to demolish the most common ghost types in NU, haunter and misdrevus, something Lickilicky cannot.

Belly drum is cool on Lickilicky, but linoone just outclasses it completely ;[

Back