• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] What are you working on?

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
What are you working on at the moment, in the game development sense? Are you making maps, fixing bugs, finding resources, wondering whether new feature X is worth it, learning how to do something...? Anything, really. Just drop in and talk about what's up.

------------------------------------------------

At the moment I'm looking at the 125-ish new animations that need adding to Essentials, and wondering whether to knock up a script to easily rearrange animations (to keep everything in order). It should be easy enough to do; I've made a few such lists recently for other things. I don't know if it's worth trying to integrate it into the Animation Editor, though.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
Completely restructuring the inventory system. Then I'll be inserting the moves so I can finish the Pokemon information screens, then I'll be working on the actual battles. Also changing every instance of "Pokemon" to "Pohkee mawn" because damn you tts software.

Riansky

Purr
Years
Making the introduction screen and making maps. Also trying to learn how to sprite trainers and stuff and also learning a bit of scripting.

Apple Juice

who are you
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 15, 2014
Mostly working on the fake-dex, getting front, back and icon sprites done so I can focus more on the actual development on the game without worrying about replacing the originals with fakemon. At the same time, though, I'm trying to gather more custom OWs and trainer sprites.

Years
  • Seen Jun 2, 2014
Right now, I'm mapping and making events for the my game, Pokemon Draconite, and I'm also gathering up some music and graphics for it. Editing some trainer stats, too.

Last edited:

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
Gathering resources and debating if my game should be on Pokemon or not.

venom12

Pokemon Crystal Rain Relased
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Working on new systems and writing the story.

Derxwna Kapsyla

Derxwna "The Badman" Kapsyla
Years
I'm taking a break from working, as I burnt myself out on the last burst of energy. However, the last thing I was working on was the interior maps for the next Demo release - I work in a step by step process - Exterior maps first, then Interior maps, then generic NPC Events, then NPC Battles.

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
Years
Mostly mapping and making new tiles, for my game.
Experimenting with RGSS for learning purposes, as well.

Feature-wise, I am contemplating as to wether I should make all, the Pokémon available in my game, competitively viable, by reworking base stats and movesets.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Mostly mapping and making new tiles, for my game.
Experimenting with RGSS for learning purposes, as well.

Feature-wise, I am contemplating as to wether I should make all, the Pokémon available in my game, competitively viable, by reworking base stats and movesets.
Good stuff - experimenting and learning is what good programmers do all the time. You can never be "done" learning how to code, because there's an infinite number of things you can do with it.

I wouldn't bother modifying the species properties if I were you. Some Pokémon (typically the more common ones) simply aren't meant to be competitively viable, thus encouraging you to switch your team around as you progress. Besides, what competitiveness is there in your game? In any case, trying to rebalance the weaker Pokémon will take a whole lot of effort which you could be spending on more important things.

I've made a start on adding the new move animations now (done about 20 so far), and I've decided to make a little stand-alone method for rearranging animations. It won't be accessible from anywhere (not even debug); it's just useful for me because I'm dealing with a lot of animations, plus I can't tidily integrate it into somewhere else.

Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
I'm not currently working on anything, with University finals being my priority, but once I go on holidays I'll be returning to my current project. I have to assemble some tilesets for the next maps, convert those maps into their proper tilesets, then construct all the events for them. I just wish indoor maps weren't so boring to make... I think I'll close off most of the buildings in foreign towns. Doesn't really make sense for the player to wander into strangers' houses anyway. Man, pre-writing the script for a game sucks, cause there's all this great mapping and eventing I want to do but I need to assemble the graphics for them first. Bleh.

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
I've started to make my map actually work instead of just being there, and with a little more tinkering it should be fully completed

Arma

The Hyena
Years
Good stuff - experimenting and learning is what good programmers do all the time. You can never be "done" learning how to code, because there's an infinite number of things you can do with it.

I wouldn't bother modifying the species properties if I were you. Some Pokémon (typically the more common ones) simply aren't meant to be competitively viable, thus encouraging you to switch your team around as you progress. Besides, what competitiveness is there in your game? In any case, trying to rebalance the weaker Pokémon will take a whole lot of effort which you could be spending on more important

I'm currently busy modifying the stats and movesets of some pokemon... editing the movesets is pretty much necessary if you have added new moves to your game XD.

In terms of stats, I'm only editing the pokemon who really need it. Take Masquerain for example, it's really weak, while they are super hard to get by.

I also need to learn more about coding, since creating new abilities isn't as easy as creating new move effects.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Taking notes of ideas and bug for my game, reading guides, following tutorials and trying to answer some game-dev related questions. I recently came up with a great idea for a new project that makes a broad use of the new game + feature, but I probably will gave up in order to give more attention for my old projects

I wouldn't bother modifying the species properties if I were you. Some Pokémon (typically the more common ones) simply aren't meant to be competitively viable, thus encouraging you to switch your team around as you progress. Besides, what competitiveness is there in your game? In any case, trying to rebalance the weaker Pokémon will take a whole lot of effort which you could be spending on more important things.
I generally disagree about this, except some cases like Kricketune, Sunflora and Masquerain. Initially I was thinking about giving better abilities for these pokémon (like Game Freak did as Machamp/Hitmonchan/Clefable in DPP or several Dream World Abilities). Except for Battle Frontier/Stadium buildings/games I disagree that in-game pokémon deserves this efforts. In my latest game the only balance change that I did was create an item to make some pokémon evolve earlier (up to 15 levels) that can be caught earlier, like Kling, Spheal and Litwick.

Years
  • Seen Aug 13, 2014
Eh... I'm basically a lurker around these parts, but I figured I might as well post here, seeing as recently I've started putting more effort into the game I'm making. Right now, I'm splitting my time between planning fakemons, gathering and editing 4th Gen tiles (it's basically impossible to work with 5th Gen ones, unless you're a really good spriter. Alas, I am not, so I've given up on that for now. After all, it's not essential) and learning how to draw, since basically every good tutorial on how to make good custom sprites for trainers and pokémon requires drawing knowledge.

Sorry if I've written anything that's not grammatically correct, english is not my native language and I never had a formal education in english.

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
Seems like everyone has their hands busy. I'm actually working on something quite big! Learning to do many new things! It's quite a lot of fun. I started my hand at composing music, and am working towards improving my (and maybe creating new) graphics drawing skills. So, I'm back in the "workshop".

Years
  • Seen Aug 13, 2014
Seems like everyone has their hands busy. I'm actually working on something quite big! Learning to do many new things! It's quite a lot of fun. I started my hand at composing music, and am working towards improving my (and maybe creating new) graphics drawing skills. So, I'm back in the "workshop".

Cool! I'm actually thinking about learning some music theory once I have some more free time, because I'm too asocial to know anyone to make music for me :/
I want to be able to compose my own music, so that A) I won't bother anyone, B) I'll be able to have them all exactly as I want and C) even if I found someone willing to work with me on my project, I'd be asking a ludicrous amount of music, and my experience with talented people is that you can't ask them to do TOO many things, even if they're willing to work with you. One thing is requesting a catchy tune, another entirely is requesting the entirety of the works of Shakespeare turned into electroswing songs. That is, if something is too much to ask people, then I better do it myself right?
I'm running my mouth here, got too excited. Anyway, I barely started progress on my project. It'll probably take more than the rest of the year to post a thread of the project here, and I'm planning to post a thread as soon as I have a presentable project, with just some basic things, like the player characters and three screenshots. Then it'll take a couple more years to finish it, if everything goes according to plan.

Back