• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Universal Pokemon Randomizer (randomizes gen1-5 games)

Years
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
Introduction
This program allows you to customize your experience playing the Pokemon games by randomizing many aspects of them. This means that the Pokemon you get at the start of the game, the Pokemon you fight in the wild and the Pokemon trainers have can all be made completely different from the original game.

About

So this is a randomizer for all the Pokemon main series games currently out. I'm posting it here because it's an example of quite a lot of different ROM hacks, and also because a fair amount of research/code written by members here & other forums was used in its creation.

The randomizer has been worked on for a while now, so quite a few of the minor issues have been resolved since the first release.
This is the first randomizer *program* (to my knowledge) to support Gen4, or Gen5 outside of the original B/W.

Known Issues:
Spoiler:

Acknowledgements/Credits
See here

Downloads
The release is available attached here, though the version attached may be out of date. The latest releases will always be available on the randomizer website. The full source code (on GitHub) is also available under GPLv3. It's written in Java - all the dependencies used were ported over by me (except DSDecmp which had a Java version already)

Attachments

• UPRandomizer-170a.zip
    568 KB · Views: 565
  • UPRandomizer-170a-win.zip
    582.4 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
I released a new version, 1.0.1, of the randomizer which fixes a few issues. I have also included a new "Internal Config" version which should work for people who were getting "cannot find Advance.tbl" or similar errors before.

Improvements are on their way, including better foreign language ROM support and a few more options.

Years
This is by far my favourite Randomizer now, you did amazing work!

I have one suggestion; perhaps a patch alongside the National Dex that allows for all 649? Maybe another random option that randomizes the items you find on the ground.

Other than that this is pretty amazing. Great work.

Years
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
Krobelus: The randomizer already does pick from all the Pokemon available in the game, rather than just the local Dex. This is why National Dex patches are useful (and necessary, at least in FRLG, to allow non-Kanto Pokemon to evolve). (If you mean patching Gen3 games to add all 649, that's beyond my abilities for now). Item randomization could happen, though not in my immediate plans.

@All: A new release [1.0.2] is out which allows for randomizing abilities, along with some other improvements.

Years
I did mean to allow all 649 Pokemon to become available.

Great job. What other features do you have planned at the moment?

Years
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
I did mean to allow all 649 Pokemon to become available.

Great job. What other features do you have planned at the moment?

The closest you're going to get for now for randomised 649 Pokemon in generation 3 is using this randomizer here which supports the FireRed 649 hack being made by members of this forum, to an extent. If/when a more formal/complete release of that comes out I might support it too, but it's not part of my plans right now.

There aren't a whole lot of sane things left to randomize - items on the ground, the thing you suggested, is one of the few that would be feasible. Current work on the randomizer is largely focusing on making sure everything works for every version (allowing static Pokemon to be changed in the DS games, for example) and quality of life improvements (National Dex patches, cool little ASM hacks, etc, which come as I get inspiration to make them).

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2014
Thx.

This is pretty awesome. I dreamed about it, you did it.

Really thx, i'm going to talk about it on french boards (because i am French yea) because i hope he'll be soon the main randomiser ever.

Thx again.

And I have a request about the next features..

Randomize the evolutions (lol i'm weedle *evolve* helo i'm slaking)! And add randomly a number (or suppress a number) of evolutions (lol i evolve 3 times).. And modify the evolution levels of pokemons...
I don't really know if this is feasible but... it would be cool.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2014
Hey,
this tool is really awesome, you did great job. I am a fan of Gen II and this is a great opportunity to beat this gameonce again. Some things, though, have been randomized too far. In my game, Heracross is an electric type learning Zap Cannon at lvl 6 and Thunder at lvl 12 ;)

I might make similiar tool to this one day, for gen II exclusively...

Aryan143

The Fennekin Fan!
Years
Well this tool is awesome! I got Ledian as a starter of Dragon type with max special attack and Outrage!

Years
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
Thanks for the latest feedback. If I do make an "evolution randomiser" that would definitely go under a "crazy options" section!

I have released a new version, 1.1.0, of the randomiser. This adds support for randomising move tutor moves, among other improvements and fixes. There's also a patch available inside for Gen1 and Gen2 games which changes them to use the Black/White-style EXP gain calculation system, inspired by what the Liquid Crystal team did in their Gen3 hack.

More to come!

Years
Thanks for the latest feedback. If I do make an "evolution randomiser" that would definitely go under a "crazy options" section!

I have released a new version, 1.1.0, of the randomiser. This adds support for randomising move tutor moves, among other improvements and fixes. There's also a patch available inside for Gen1 and Gen2 games which changes them to use the Black/White-style EXP gain calculation system, inspired by what the Liquid Crystal team did in their Gen3 hack.

More to come!

That is amazing! Leveling in BW has made it so much easier and quicker!

I would like to suggest random items (that you pick up) and random evolutions?
[Edit] Random Abilities would be awesome too!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2013
New here so sorry if this post stinks of noobness. I want to randomize my pokemon pearl using this tool but cant because some sections a grayed out and all my starter pokemon choices are '------' I googled everywhere and this is the only place I found that may be able to provide help.

Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2024
I can't get it to patch Pokemon Red (U), the program itself says it's been patched, but when I run the rom itself the game hasn't changed at all.

Years
  • Seen Sep 24, 2020
You gonna add compatibility with spanish roms in the future? This tool is amazing to do nuzlocke, but I prefer play the game in my native language (You can see that I don't speak very good english)

Nice Work. Cya~

Years
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
OK, quick responses:

@Krobelus: All the stuff you suggested has been suggested before, and most of it might eventually happen. As for abilities, that option is already available!

@schimmdog: I think you've emailed me about this too, but in any case, try a different base ROM.

@Flaze: No idea what's going on here - does the same happen with other games?

@AlejaKaiser: The randomiser already supports R/B/Y and D/P/Pt/HG/SS (generation 1 and 4) Spanish ROMs, with more to come in the next major release, probably 1.2.0.

Years
  • Seen Feb 25, 2013
How easy is this software to use on a Black/White ROM or a HeartGold/SoulSilver ROM?

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2014
Hello~

In fact, l played recently Pokémon Dungeon 1.

It could be really awesome if you could randomize the wild pokémon, or the starters, or the event pokémon (like absol..)..

This is actually not a priority. But I think it could be a good option for originals..

By the way, for everyone. This software is the easier and more complete randomizer you could find on the internet.. Don't hesitate anymore!

Years
  • Seen Mar 16, 2014
I can't get it to patch Pokemon Red (U), the program itself says it's been patched, but when I run the rom itself the game hasn't changed at all.

Is your rom patched with any other patch? I managed to successfully patch my Red rom which is the same version as yours...

On topic: This is simply amazing, I have never used a randomizer before so I can't compare but this is fantastic! I feel like a five year old catching all the pokemon just to see the new types and the new movesets (i was stupidly amused when my normal/flying onix wanted to learn fire punch).

Awesome work once again!

Back