• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ruby hack: [Ruby Hack] Pokemon: Azure Archipelago

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
Pokémon: Azure Archipelago
Overview:
Azure Archipelago is a hack of Ruby featuring natural mapping, a non-linear map with plenty of side paths and bonus areas, an in depth plot surrounding Team Aqua's home territory, and the full new Azure Archipelago: A tropical island based region set near Hoenn.

Everything but spriting (and maybe drawing the map, we'll see how I do. lol) will be done by myself.

Story:
You are the son or daughter of Professor Maple: One of the top pokémon researchers in the archipelago. Unbeknownst to you, he has been contracted to research a mysterious orange stone, known as the Sunstone. This mystical stone was found in a cavern under the sea which should have been full of water, but was strangely dry. Only after removing the stone did they realize that it has some very troubling powers. While being researched in Mossdeep City, plants all over the island began to wilt, and there were no clouds in sight. Such a power could be very dangerous in the hands of Team Magma, and so it was sent to the Azure Archipelago, right in the heart of Team Aqua's home territory. A place Team Magma wouldn't dare enter... or would they?
Screenshots:
GRrwQG8.png
GITkct9.png
TMsL4p2.png
akWEPt6.png
xz5vIkq.png
kEPbvmO.png
2VrrCB0.png
uBGL99R.png
CYJF0BA.png
w9iVxO0.png
A3YauqF.png
QQSVcwG.png

Full Mapshots:
Spoiler:
Videos:
Progress:
Progress To First Preview Release:

kFY8ihu.png

Original:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
Looks very impressive so far! :) Are you planning on changing the tiles or sprites? I love your maps but ruby/emerald tiles are usually a big turnoff for me.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
Looks very impressive so far! :) Are you planning on changing the tiles or sprites? I love your maps but ruby/emerald tiles are usually a big turnoff for me.
I've been thinking about changing the tileset, although I like emerald (switched to those instead of ruby) tiles quite a bit... I'll look at some of the options and see what I think.

I definitely want custom sprites for the player, dad(who wants professor birch as their dad anyway. :P), rival, gym leaders, etc... but I'm not artistic enough to create them myself, so that depends on if I can get help from others to make the sprites.

Ace.

Love Yourself
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 29, 2015
Oh wow, I really love your mapping style. It just makes the R/S/E tiles pop out. I also really like the story. GL on this ~

Mr. Black

Master Of Reality
Years
Looks pretty awesome !!! Nice mapping I really like it ( along with the R/S/E tiles :)). Just a question though , What starters are available ? I saw squirtle in one of the pics does this mean there are Gen I starters or will they be mixed Gen starters ( I / II / III) ?

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
If I was you I definitely wouldn't change the tilesets (at a push maybe the buildings, though) your mapping is beautiful and I think it fits wonderfully well with the tiles. Your maps definitely accentuate how great the R/S/E tileset actually is. Bravo.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Your mapping is instantly recognisable :) I remember your maps from years ago when I was a more active member over here.

Just watched your video - very smooth. The opening feels very authentic, flows well - you don't try to include too much information (and just talk at the player) which is a definite plus point.

I look forward to seeing more videos! Are you planning and features/new ideas? I would suggest sticking to this tileset, with perhaps a few custom tiles that match the style, it suits your mapping so well.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
Looks pretty awesome !!! Nice mapping I really like it ( along with the R/S/E tiles
1.%20smile.gif
). Just a question though , What starters are available ? I saw squirtle in one of the pics does this mean there are Gen I starters or will they be mixed Gen starters ( I / II / III) ?
It'll be using all three 1st Gen starters. The video I posted shows the entire intro, including picking the pokemon, if you're interested.

Your mapping is instantly recognisable
1.%20smile.gif
I remember your maps from years ago when I was a more active member over here.

Just watched your video - very smooth. The opening feels very authentic, flows well - you don't try to include too much information (and just talk at the player) which is a definite plus point.

I look forward to seeing more videos! Are you planning and features/new ideas? I would suggest sticking to this tileset, with perhaps a few custom tiles that match the style, it suits your mapping so well.
Thank you! I'm glad people still remember me after all this time away from hacking. lol

As far as unique features go, I'm not experienced enough to know what is and isn't possible for most of my ideas, since I started scripting for the first time a little over a week ago. I've learned quite fast, and am comfortable with hex editing and all that, but what you see in that video is pretty much all I've ever actually done... so until I know for sure that I can do something, I don't really want to say that I'm definitely going to be doing anything in particular, but I have plenty of ideas for different minigames, and I'm wanting to have houses for sale to replace secret bases, among other things.

One major thing I want to focus on is side quests, since the main pokemon games kind of... don't have them. At all. It's always bugged me how by simply talking to people you get all sorts of unique, valuable items, when they could have made you pay for them, or do some sort of task for them. To go along with that, I'd like to have a quest log built into the PokeNAV, but I have absolutely no idea how to do that atm, lol. It involves ASM I'm sure, which I haven't looked into yet.

Last edited:

Eren Jaeger

Pianoist
Years
Oh, this is very impressive indeed. the way you map is so.. so... amazing! ^^
Like the others said, don't change the tiles but the building and houses will do.
(Sprite as well) I've watched your Game intro, what would happen if you pressed no
instead of yes? the events will be different? If it is, then I can't wait how will
your hack go, good luck with this! Also, the title screen is what I really wanna see.

Falsever

Nation Blue
Years
Wow, this is amazing! You made the game pretty without new tiles! :D
I really like your mapping style, it reminds me of something epic.
I'm looking forward for more updates, best of luck!

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
I've watched your Game intro, what would happen if you pressed no
instead of yes? the events will be different? If it is, then I can't wait how will
your hack go, good luck with this! Also, the title screen is what I really wanna see.
What she says is different, but the events of the plot aren't. It was mostly just to introduce your rival's name before he actually shows up. I'm not sure if I'll be able to make a title screen worth using... I'd like it to be an Azumarill underwater with plenty of bubbles in the background though, if anyone wants to help out by making one.

socko

[i]VERY ANGER!!![/i]
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 18, 2020
I liked the video. It showcases more of your mapping skills and the intro was unique, unlike the traditional "you turned 10" stuff. What makes it more special is the original tiles and how they blend in beautifully with your mapping. Good luck on this! I'll be waiting for the release.

Years
  • Seen Jun 21, 2014
Amazing job, I really love it!

I really can't wait for the game to come out!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reject217

Great Pokémon Reject
Years
The map looks outstanding, the tiles look awesome as (insert profanity here) and I like that you plan on putting side quests in the game, I like to get off track once in a while ^^. I want to wish you the best of luck, and I can't wait for a Beta {XD}

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
Hey, so I think an update is in order. I just moved, and have been without a computer or internet for over a week now. The laptop I was working on died on me (I'm thinking it's a power supply issue, so hopefully easily fixable.) but I make frequent dropbox backups of the ROM, so the game is safe. Haven't been working on it in the meantime of course though, and I'm a little busy IRL still with school starting and finishing the move, so progress is going to be pretty slow for another week or two. Should continue like normal after that though.

Orifiel

Priestess
Years
Wow, your mapping seems to stand out in your game.
It's better if you keep Ruby tiles, it should blend together with the game.

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
Years
I've very picky when it comes to hacks, especially those who, by looks of the original game, haven't changed. However, your hack helps me defy any judgement I usually have. First of all, I really love the professionalism in your thread's layout. Another big bonus is that you are apparently very literate and that comes a long way in a hack. Also, your example map stands out and makes me want to explore it, despite the trees being the default Ruby trees (not my favorite set of trees). I also like the bonus area idea. Your scripting, by your video, also seems to be done well.

If you need any help, let me know as I too am working on a Ruby hack.

Good luck!

Years
  • Seen yesterday
good hack but change tile ;)

setdooropened 0x 0x
doorchange

setdoorclosed 0x 0x
doorchange

for first script use this comand for open and close the door ^^ good luck ^^"

Back