• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen What was his name now?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Yes, what did you name Professor Oak's grandson? And what did you name ??? in GSC after you realized that his name wasn't actually ???...?!

I realize there's a thread about the GSC rival, but that's more aimed towards whether you thought his name was ??? or not, and this one is to tell us what you named him once you realized it wasn't...unless you just really like that name for some reason!

I haven't played RBY in a while, but I do remember I named my rival in Blue Shigeru since that's Gary's Japanese name. As for GSC, I named him Octopus on Crystal, Coach on Gold, and today, I was in biology playing my newly re-batteried Silver, so...I named him Biology. Because...it was boring me. lol

Guest123_x1

On Blue and Silver, I named my rival after my cousin who introduced me to Pokémon, who is in a way a rival of mine IRL. On Yellow, I named him Gary (seeing how that game was modeled partially on the anime, although on my first run through that game, I named him Blue.)
I don't remember exactly what other names I gave rivals in my other games (Gold, and Crystal), and I have done multiple playthroughs of some versions.

AllyJacqui

The one and only -
Years
I always named him after my brother, who was the one who got me the games. Nowadays if I have to name my rival, it'll be after a friend of mine or something.

Nothing Is Real

It's all in the mind you know!
Years
I used to call him Gary when I was a kid, and during my teenage years I always gave him a stupid name like Dicks or Douche. Now I name him after my cousin, who is kind of my IRL rival, since we always have link battles.

Years
I was never all that creative with my rivals' names when playing through the games, even as far back as the originals. In Yellow, I named my rival Gary (since Yellow had similarities to the anime), and in Gold, I actually named my rival ??? the first time, with my second go-around naming him Silver.

I did consider naming one of my rivals after a few friends or one of my cousins, but they never seemed to use any of the same Pokemon so I didn't bother.

gold/silverFTW

Ecruteak Champion
Years
I always named my rival after the manga name, like for the rby rival, I named him Green, and the gsc rival Silver. But my younger brother would name them completely random and silly names such as Cheese for rby rival, and pingpong for gsc rival. *Sigh* I never understood him lol

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
I named my rival in Blue... CoOkIeS.
As for ???, I named him... SOS. I meant sauce (And me Ketup, I meant Ketchup), but hey, I was a kid back then.

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
Years
I used to give him random names when I was younger and playing Crystal. In HG I just call him Douche 'cause well... he is a douche.

Caelus

Gone
Years
  • Seen May 26, 2013
I remember when I first brought Blue I thought your rival resembled Ash (I don't know if I'm the only one but he kinda does) so I ended up naming him that, little did I realize that I was actually using Ash's game counterpart. I ended up calling him Gary in subsequent files.

And I named ??? Silver I think.

Years
I would just mash the A button so my name and my rivals name was always AAAAAAA. It was the most annoying thing when I went to the fights thinking I was talking.

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
Years
In Red, I named my rival Gary because of the TV show. It stuck to the point where I kept on using it on Fire Red. In Leaf Green though, I alternate between Gary and Blue.

In Gold, I named ???? Gio, after my best friend. I kept the name when I found out that Silver is supposed to be Giovanni's son because the names are so closely related. I even still use it to this day in Heart Gold.

Years
  • Seen Jun 12, 2014
Well, in my recent playthrough, I named him Mayuri after one of my internet friends. I believe that originally, I named him Shadow because he reminded me of Shadow the Hedgehog. Red and black colors, cold and calculating, but then realises his errors and fixes them

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
I didn't really name my rival in RGBY because I never played my own game--people let me borrow theirs, lol x3

I also didn't really name my rival in GSC because my friend was sitting next to me watching me play, and being 1st graders or so at the time, he saw nothing wrong in taking my game from me at that point, and just selecting "END."
"Look, now they named him Silver for you!"
I always wondered what my grade-schooler mind would have named him! XD

Thinking back on it, I guess I never got to name my rivals as a child!! xD

Years
  • Seen Aug 22, 2018
it depends on which version.in gold,my rival is silver;in silver,my rival is gold;in crystal,my rival is blank~

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
I usually name my rival after my brother or a best friend of mine. But i think the very first time i played Yellow i named him Gary because of the Anime, and the first time i played Crystal i named him like my brother

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
I either call him Gary, like his anime counterpart or simply just random names that got to do with the a word or f word simply because I was young then and thought that it was cool to name my rival that and I did it.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
I enjoyed naming my rival various names, I think in Crystal I called my rival ??? back when I was maybe 6 or 7 and having a go on my sister's game, because I actually truly thought that was his name even though it was obvious it wasn't. Ah what the heck, I was a kid so yeah. :3

As for good ol' Professor Oak's grandson I called him Gary, just because I wasn't feeling in too much of a creative mood as well as it seemed like a fitting name seeing as Yellow was based off the anime.

Golden Warrior

Pokemon Professor
Years
The first time I played Yellow, I was 6 or something. I named my rival "Bad Boy" no joke. Now I tend to call him Gary. As for the rival in Silver, I named him Mark, mainly named after my friend, I don't use that name much anymore.

Back