• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hack Series: Pokémon Blaze Black & Pokémon Volt White

Drayano

Axe me a question, I dare you.
Years
Pokémon Blaze Black | Pokémon Volt White
Current Version: 3.1
Last Updated: 24th December, 2011

THERE IS NO "NORMAL" OR "LEGENDARY" VERSION ANYMORE. THE DOWNLOADS OFFERED HAVE ALL 649.

Click the banner for a video playlist of the hack.

FdJz5.png
Summary

Pokémon Blaze Black and Pokémon Volt White are edits of the regular Pokémon Black and White versions which self-contain all 649 Pokémon, allowing a player a large amount of variety. In addition, BB/VW also have edited trainers, an increased difficulty level, improvements to many Pokémon and more. They are the spiritual successor of my two other hacks, Pokémon Fire Red Omega and Pokémon Spirit Gold. Blaze Black and Volt White were also - with one minor exception - the first of their kind to be made.

I should mention that with the exception of things normally different between Black and White such as Black City, White Forest, the legendary focus and the appearance of Opelucid City, the two games are identical.

mjhbI.png
Specific Features
  • As aforementioned, the hack allows you to catch all 649 Pokémon in some way or another. This is unaffected by the version chosen to play; encounters are the same in both.
  • Every single trainer in the game has had their Pokémon edited, fitting a new level curve and increasing the difficulty overall. While not mind crushingly tough, they're sure to provide more of a challenge than the original games were able to. The level curve takes full advantage of the new experience system in Black and White.
  • A vast number of Pokémon have had certain statistics about them edited. This can be a number of things, including experience rate, typing, base stats and abilities. A lot of Pokémon have been given their Dream World abilities as an option, where applicable and/or useful.
  • Pokémon have also had additions to their moveset, including additions or alterations to their level up movesets as well as TM and HM compatibility. Level up movesets in particular have been edited for 600+ Pokémon.
  • There has also been editing of many evolutions, generally involving those Pokémon who generally had to be traded to be evolved. Blaze Black and Volt White are entirely self-contained; no outside contact is required for anything.
  • Items found in the field have been changed considerably, to include TMs, evolution items and fossils previously only found post-League. The items have been adjusted in such a way that makes it convenient for the game's progress. Where applicable, text has also been changed to reflect these changes. Multiples of certain items, such as the evolution stones, the Lucky Egg and the EXP Share are also given out, all in the name of convenience.
  • It isn't just trainers and wild Pokémon who have had their levels changed; event Pokémon such as Reshiram and Zekrom have also had their levels changed, ensuring that they don't become useless due to the sharp increase in levels.
  • All five in-game trades have also been edited, giving you new possibilities for your team.
  • A small number of attacks have also been changed to make them more useful, generally in terms of power (and rarely, type).
  • A number of documents are included with the download that allow you to see any and all changes made. Wondering what's new? Where to find something? Consult the guides!
Z7pxw.png
Why play Blaze Black and/or Volt White?

With the extra amounts of Black and White hacks cropping up now, Blaze Black and Volt White has lost its main edge in being the only hack of its kind. I'd like to say that it being the first means something, but unfortunately it really doesn't in the long run. The main reason for playing Blaze Black and Volt White would be its dedication to the original games; with one or two exceptions the main Pokémon of a Gym Leader or Elite Four member does NOT change, and themes (including type and general appearance) are kept as best as possible. Things must make some degree of sense, or they won't be found in this hack. Most of the time.

These two also offer some "what ifs?" What if Flareon got Flare Blitz? What if Delibird actually had some stats? What if Weavile was given Technician? What if Gallade had kept Trace? What if the Gothitelle line actually had a Dark-typing? Just how broken would a Dragon-type Serperior with Contrary be? How about a Samurott with Shell Smash? (Between you and me, they are broken as hell!)

The game also tries to have as many Pokémon available early as possible, while still keeping them in appropriate places. There's a couple odd balls that are late such as Torkoal or Stunfisk as they were tough to place, but the majority are available before the sixth badge is up, and the majority of them are available at Nimbasa City or prior.

Blaze Black and Volt White also offer a 'clean' version, which is a relatively blank slate, keeping the 649 hack but eliminating all of the Pokémon changes. This is useful for the purist, and it's something no other hack has, as far as I'm aware.

If you're looking for a challenge designed by someone who thinks they know the Pokémon games in and out (and considering my ridiculous amount of knowledge about them and my three walkthroughs, I certainly hope I do!) then this is the hack to try. If you're looking for an incredibly difficult challenge... I'd recommend a different one. Although this one has its fair share of annoyances, too.

tGHS5.png
Can I see some screenshots of the hack?
Certainly. Open the spoiler below to see them. These mostly just show some of the first bits; you'll have to play it to see the rest!

Spoiler:

ZTSY4.png
Credits and Gratitude
  • elementking: It was thanks to him that I even got to start hacking B/W fully in the first place. Without him I probably wouldn't have discovered anything post Wild Pokemon editing.
  • Project Pokémon Forums: The ROM editing help section is a great way to find out if certain ideas are possible, and if so, how. Numerous people on there (as well as being found in other places) have made or stated discoveries that this hack uses, including Andibad, kaphotics and KazoWAR. Kazo in particular can also be thanked for the 1.1a incarnation of the trainer editor, a key tool for making this hack.
  • twistedfatal: His tools help to simplify things significantly, cutting down on the amount of hex editing required.
  • neltazero: His tools are also very helpful and quite easy to use, making Wild Pokemon and trainer editing that much easier.
  • SegNin: It's thanks to him we have the current .bat patching system for this, and by extension for Pitch Black and Pure White.
  • knivez69: The banner up top is his incredible work.
  • Various Members of GBAtemp and GameFAQs: For ideas on additions/changes to make.
Z9F2U.png
Bugs, Changelog, Version Clarification and Download Links
Bugs
Spoiler:

Changelog
Spoiler:

Version Clarification
The Full version of the hack is the whole thing; the Wild changes, the trainer changes, the Pokemon changes, the item changes, absolutely everything. The Clean version takes out some of the content, so that the actual Pokemon, their level up moves and attacks are left unchanged. Trainers are edited from their Full version counterparts to clear up any inconsistencies done through adding new techniques in the Full version.

Download
You will need a ROM of Black or White to use the patches found in the downloads, which you will have to find on your own. It must be either English European or American, though.

Last edited:

blue

gucci
Years
Lookin' great! I'll definately be playing this once released, hoping being the date expected (1st April) ~ You don't need any Beta testers do you?

Drayano

Years
Seems awesome dude! :D Just wondering, will that release be final? That'd be so awesome :)
Yeah this will be a final release. I may well add some stuff later but the only thing I'm doing now is testing again to make sure it's all working fine. I've finished everything already~

Lookin' great! I'll definately be playing this once released, hoping being the date expected (1st April) ~ You don't need any Beta testers do you?

Glad to hear it. :) I don't no, I'm testing it all pretty thoroughly myself and there's not that much that can go wrong on a hack like this. Thank you for offering though.

Drayano

Years
No, kept them as Snivy/Tepig/Oshawott since it would look awful without them due to the big sprites and stuff when you pick them. All three are vastly improved though!

Years
  • Seen Jun 10, 2023
Question, not meant as a shot at the hack but... why is Tepigs line Fire/GROUND now? I mean I know why it's not Fire/Fighting because the typings been done to death, but why GROUND? why give it a typing that makes one of the most common typings, Water, even MORE deadly to it, not to mention removing it's 'Not Very Effective' from grass and Ice Attacks? It just seems like a typing that utterly screws it over like Paras being Bug/Grass.

I mean if you really need a Second type there's Dark for an obvious one, Steel if you want to emphasize defensive Wall, OR for a really out there typing, Electric.

Assuming that your trying to balance the 3 starters as Mario (Blaziken) Glass Cannon (Infernape) and Mighty Glacier (Emboar) it does not let Emboar play his alloted roll, he can't tank because he's got terrible typing, he can't hit fast because he's naturally slow and he can't match up to either Blaziken or Infernape.

I mean he already couldn't match up to either of them but that was because he had lower stats not because his typing killed him.

Again just my opinion because Samuwott benefits from the Fighting Typing, Serperior is covered in thick juicy love with the Dragon Typing (x4 Weakness to Ice excluded) but Emboar is just getting screwed over.

No mean to offend, I don't know your reasons behind it just... sounds weird.

Drayano

Years
Question, not meant as a shot at the hack but... why is Tepigs line Fire/GROUND now? I mean I know why it's not Fire/Fighting because the typings been done to death, but why GROUND? why give it a typing that makes one of the most common typings, Water, even MORE deadly to it, not to mention removing it's 'Not Very Effective' from grass and Ice Attacks? It just seems like a typing that utterly screws it over like Paras being Bug/Grass.

I mean if you really need a Second type there's Dark for an obvious one, Steel if you want to emphasize defensive Wall, OR for a really out there typing, Electric.

Assuming that your trying to balance the 3 starters as Mario (Blaziken) Glass Cannon (Infernape) and Mighty Glacier (Emboar) it does not let Emboar play his alloted roll, he can't tank because he's got terrible typing, he can't hit fast because he's naturally slow and he can't match up to either Blaziken or Infernape.

I mean he already couldn't match up to either of them but that was because he had lower stats not because his typing killed him.

Again just my opinion because Samuwott benefits from the Fighting Typing, Serperior is covered in thick juicy love with the Dragon Typing (x4 Weakness to Ice excluded) but Emboar is just getting screwed over.

No mean to offend, I don't know your reasons behind it just... sounds weird.

Well as it were, Fire/Dark was the original plan for Emboar but after not being able to decide if it REALLY fitted it plus the problem of there being no real Dark moves for it (does it look like it can Crunch?) I chose to go for another typing.

Fire/Fighting has been overdone to death on the starters and out of the remaining types, Ground was really the only one that worked (being a pig and all).

While I do have to agree that Emboar isn't quite as useful as Samurott or Serperior, the addition of Sheer Force does still give it some huge power in the form of Flare Blitz, and the STAB (now level-up) Earthquake helps.

As it is, Serperior and Samurott have some very late level up moves which make them incredible (I'll refrain from saying which for now, but you might be able to hazard a guess...) whereas Tepig gets a boost the whole way through thanks to Sheer Force.

That's pretty much all I can explain. It does suck a bit but Emboar's hard to work with. Just keep it out of the way of Water moves and it is fine, though. I did kinda screw the starter triangle up, but Emboar comes in useful for the main game (particularly Elesa's gym) moreso than it did before... I think :x

Neko Keeshi

ub3r l33t n00b
Years
omg wow, I've been watching your youtube channel for awhile man, and I can honestly say, I can NOT wait to try Volt White!

Does it matter if we use the Euro version or the US version?

Drayano

Years

I don't actually know. :x

I'm using the EUR version but I don't THINK it'll matter.

Neko Keeshi

ub3r l33t n00b
Years
Ok. I' have the euro versions of both, and when your patches come out, I'll try them. And if they don't work? I'll hunt for a US copy to try them on ;P

blue

gucci
Years
It's easy to just download the Europeon version anyway but I don't think it really matters, they're both the same game in the same language (English) just from different areas.

Years
  • Seen Jun 10, 2023
Well as it were, Fire/Dark was the original plan for Emboar but after not being able to decide if it REALLY fitted it plus the problem of there being no real Dark moves for it (does it look like it can Crunch?) I chose to go for another typing.

Fire/Fighting has been overdone to death on the starters and out of the remaining types, Ground was really the only one that worked (being a pig and all).

While I do have to agree that Emboar isn't quite as useful as Samurott or Serperior, the addition of Sheer Force does still give it some huge power in the form of Flare Blitz, and the STAB (now level-up) Earthquake helps.

As it is, Serperior and Samurott have some very late level up moves which make them incredible (I'll refrain from saying which for now, but you might be able to hazard a guess...) whereas Tepig gets a boost the whole way through thanks to Sheer Force.

That's pretty much all I can explain. It does suck a bit but Emboar's hard to work with. Just keep it out of the way of Water moves and it is fine, though. I did kinda screw the starter triangle up, but Emboar comes in useful for the main game (particularly Elesa's gym) moreso than it did before... I think :x
Well those are some good reasons I admit, though I don't see why Sucker Punch isn't seen as the equivilent of Crunch for the Teethly Challenged. I guess it just sucks for Emboar to get the poorest typing, but honestly Infernape made the Fire/Fighting typing near irrelevant in Gen IV so Zhu Bajie was kinda screwed in the long run. Oddly enough it would have been funny to see him as a Fire/Water since Zhu Bajie was noted for being extremely adept in the water compared to Sun Wukong (since Infernape and Emboar are both basically Journey to the West characters) But then it falls under the problem of **** Not Making Sense.

Again, your reasons are sound and I can't really find fault in them minus the Sucker Punch instead of Crunch thing (Except that Sucker Punch has less PP, so I guess that counts as a fatal flaw, and other powerful Dark attacks are SPECIAL not Physical)

Years
  • Seen Sep 25, 2012
why not fire normal for emboar? normal is one of the must underated types and if it keeps reckless, it does insame amounts of damage

metalflygon08

BIG PECKS
Years
  • Seen Jul 31, 2016
Couldn't Fire/Dark Emboar use these moves
Sucker Punch
Payback
Foul Play
Dark Pulse

Especially Foul Play...

Years
  • Seen Jun 10, 2023
Couldn't Fire/Dark Emboar use these moves
Sucker Punch
Payback
Foul Play
Dark Pulse

Especially Foul Play...
I was discounting Specials because... well Emboar only really learns Flamethrower as a level up Special.

Although to be fair even WITH that limited move pool it's still smacking Gligar and Gliscor away with "**** learned Via Level-Up" Ground/Flying who learns 1 Flying attack and 1 Ground attack, and the Ground Attack is Sand Attack.

Back