• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon DarkViolet (Full Version Released)

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
This hack was developed from 2012-2014, and then it was canceled. Four years later in 2018, someone named hacksrepairman continued the hack from where it left off and finished it. Then I added some "finishing touches" to hacksrepairman's work (and some graphical updates from MrDollSteak), and this hack is now completely finished. Although the final version is not quite what would have been had this hack been finished in 2014, it fits pretty close to my vision at the time. I am warning you though, this hack can be very edgy and ridiculous at times, I was quite immature back then.

Credits for 2018 update:
Chaos Rush - finishing touches (and original hack developer from 2012-2014)
hacksrepairman - for finishing the hack's development from where it left off at Beta 2
MrDollSteak - Seafoam Islands tileset

Original post used from 2012-2014:

Spoiler:

2018 Note: I am not proud of this hack, I am rather ashamed of it, but I know that it has a lot of fans that wanted to see it finished, so I hope you all enjoy it. Please note that this final version does not represent my exact vision for it during 2012-2014, although it is pretty close.

Timeline of Hack's Development:
August 2012: Pokémon DarkViolet began development

January 2013: First alpha release

October 2013: Beta 1 release (up to 3 badges)

January 2014: Beta 2 release (up to 7 badges)

May 2014: Pokémon DarkViolet was canceled

May 2018: hacksrepairman finished remainder of the hack

August 2018: Chaos Rush adds finishing touches (along with some contributions from MrDollSteak and hacksrepairman) and final version of the hack is released

April 2019: hacksrepairman released a bug fix (check this post if you are playing on a real console)

Attachments

• PokemonDarkVioletFinal2018V1Fixed.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 9,956
  • PokemonDarkVioletFinal2019V1Fixed.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 14,679
Last edited by a moderator:

PokemonMasters

Always Remember Forever&After
Years
Wow. This hack is back. The R/S/E styled graphics look alright. I really like the new moves you implemented. Based on the story we can't be a girl right? (Not that I care since I'm a boy, Just Wondering) :p

Volcanix769

Known as the Quilava Guy!
Years
Man, I saw the last few threads you made, and I'd say that you pulled it off pretty well. Including the tiles and the backgrounds for the attacks that really makes it more..... cool I can say?

Years
  • Age 26
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
This looks really great! A true diamond in the rough. I'm excited to see where you will take this. Well done.

blazerj13

Impossibly Possible~
Years
OMG CHAOS! this looks fantabulous! once you finish this hack i will definatly play it(even though Gen 1 is my least fav). it has amazing graphics and a mix of everything that would make a good hack.

kebbles

Rom Hacker.
Years
This is awesome, red and green are my favourite games as I grew up playing them.
The new R/S/E tiles look really good and blend real nice with your other tiles, and now you can finally really show off your hard work in making your sprites, and the new moves and there animations are just incredible!
I really can't wait to play this, good luck :)

Years
  • Age 24
  • =/
  • Seen Feb 12, 2013
DarkViolet is back!
New Attacks are awesome feature!
Good luck with this hack and go on!

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 28, 2023
whoa. great project. i started with R/B/Y,, I believe this hack will be MUCH better than FR/LG. love the new attacks and graphics, oh and for the new gym leader i think it would be that old man with "too much coffee".. LOL
good luck :)

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Oh wow, brilliant! Pokémon DarkViolet surely has some really nicely designed tiles... they're more like a mixture between Emerald and Black 2/White 2.

But other than that, it's great to actually see a remake of the original Red and Green being made as a ROM hack... even though there is FireRed and LeafGreen. 'Cause it surely is nice to see remakes done in someone's own unique style, and that's pretty much the charm about any ROM hack. ^^

It's a great idea to also have Green (who was originally Leaf) as a character you'll run into every now and again. Remember, anything's possible... you can create scripts that activate depending on the gender of your character you chose at the start in the same way as May or Brendan in R/S. Which also makes me think... maybe you could have Green/Red as a character you get to battle every now and again, like you do with Blue. ;)

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Thanks for the comments guys, they're actually really encouraging. I'm surprised at the positive reception already, considering how I haven't posted any screenshots of the new scripts (I'm re-scripting the entire game from scratch - I've cleared out all the scripts in my ROM). But again, thanks guys. I'm thinking I'll have an alpha release that goes up to Route 2.

Wow. This hack is back. The R/S/E styled graphics look alright. I really like the new moves you implemented. Based on the story we can't be a girl right? (Not that I care since I'm a boy, Just Wondering) :p
You must have missed this screenshot :)
9.png

Yes, you can play as the girl.

Oh wow, brilliant! Pokémon DarkViolet surely has some really nicely designed tiles... they're more like a mixture between Emerald and Black 2/White 2.

But other than that, it's great to actually see a remake of the original Red and Green being made as a ROM hack... even though there is FireRed and LeafGreen. 'Cause it surely is nice to see remakes done in someone's own unique style, and that's pretty much the charm about any ROM hack. ^^

It's a great idea to also have Green (who was originally Leaf) as a character you'll run into every now and again. Remember, anything's possible... you can create scripts that activate depending on the gender of your character you chose at the start in the same way as May or Brendan in R/S. Which also makes me think... maybe you could have Green/Red as a character you get to battle every now and again, like you do with Blue. ;)
Well, if you've played the really old version of DarkViolet when I was working with Emerald, I had Red/Green as a secondary rival. I'm keeping that feature.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Hm... that sounds like a brilliant idea about re-doing all the scripts... it will really give the hack a more refresh from the original. Gosh, I must have a terrible memory, 'cause I can't remember very well about the old DarkViolet. Maybe I might've heard the name of "DarkViolet" in the past... maybe it was so ancient that it was around before I arrived here on PC? Hm... maybe I'll have to search for the original DarkViolet thread to see more about it. :)

itman

Back to ROM hacking. :D
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 5, 2014
New moves look amazing, as I have said before.

R/B/Y were the best games made, and you're making the experience even better. I'm excited, aha. :)

I know your an artist and I shouldn't be surprised, but this is the first time I've seen a few of your sprites ingame (since most hacks using them I'm assuming haven't been posted, or maybe I just haven't looked :x), and they look AMAZING.

Good luck, I'll make sure to check here frequently.

Question: As Giovanni isn't the gym leader anymore, will Viridian City's gym still be locked and such? Or even there in the first place? With that...annoying ledge in the way. >.>

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
New moves look amazing, as I have said before.

R/B/Y were the best games made, and you're making the experience even better. I'm excited, aha. :)

I know your an artist and I shouldn't be surprised, but this is the first time I've seen a few of your sprites ingame (since most hacks using them I'm assuming haven't been posted, or maybe I just haven't looked :x), and they look AMAZING.

Good luck, I'll make sure to check here frequently.

Question: As Giovanni isn't the gym leader anymore, will Viridian City's gym still be locked and such? Or even there in the first place? With that...annoying ledge in the way. >.>
Actually I think the reason why the Pokemon sprites look so great is because of the battle backgrounds that were updated to match.

As for Viridian City, I'll reveal this information:
*The 5th Gym is located in Viridian City
*Yes, it will be locked the first time you reach it, just like in Gen I. But unlike in Gen I, there will be a point where you will return to Viridian City mid-game for story reasons

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Oh my god, you're back!!
I've been waiting for this to come back, it's one of the few rom hacks I enjoyed playing.

Can't wait for more of this Chaos!

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
Those attack animations look pretty cool. And the way you portray Fuji, Giovanni and Green really does make it look like Gen I with a different story. Looks fun :D. But the trees are meh.

Back