• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Graphics.

3D Graphics good or Bad?

• Good

Votes: 103 88.8%
  • Bad

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Dosen't Matter

Votes: 6 5.2%

• Total voters
Years
I feel a huge discussion with this generation is going to be the progression of the graphics in the series thus far. Personally, I love them. It just seemed like a natural advancement to me. However, what do you think? Hit or miss?

Years
I would like to see more from the graphics before I make up my mind, but it looks interesting, that is for sure.

:::EDIT:::

For anyone who wants to see it again:

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
I don't like the overworld graphics, other than that, I have no comments.

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
Wow, they were amazing in my opinion. I've loved seeing Pokemon develop from the Gameboy and now all the way to the 3DS, from those old grey graphics to a whole new level, 3D. It was a little strange, how tall the characters were but I'm sure I'll get use to that soon, the 3D look great and I loved the new battling appearance, it was much better <3. All in all I definitely loved the graphics and really impressed <3.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
The graphics are perfect! Didn't get to see much, so I can't really make that much of a comparison, but while I feel like it wasn't quite the jump from the third generation to the fourth, this just looks amazing. I'm most certainly gonna buy a 3DS now, because this isn't anything I can let get past me :O Showing us how they advanced through all the generations was really a great way to show how far they've come graphic-wise. From Pokemon Red and Green to this was just mind-blowning x_x

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I like how they went full 3D this time, personally I dislike BW's graphics and I prefer the generation before, but this looks really nice. It still looks like it's tiled and not free walking, but it's still cool. The battles look better than I though they would.

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
We have Pokémon directly attacking each other. Really, they went steps ahead!
True that mate. This level of explicit detail in attacks is amazing, FINALLY. I've been waiting for this. I'd need to see more graphics to make up my mind, but as far as I can tell right now, this is a pretty friggin unprecedented improvement o.O

Years
I never played a 3DS game in my entire life despite only getting a 3DS recently.

The overworld looks a little odd, and the protagonist model looks a little off, but at least the battle scenes were a saving grace for me.

I'm glad I finally got a 3DS just in time for this.

Years
  • Age 30
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023
My issue is that with the new 3D graphics, will the battles be as horrible as Pokemon Battle Revolution? I don't want attacks that take half a minute but I don't want to turn off the pretty altogether.

Other than that, the 3D overworlds is much overdue. I was expecting a handheld 3D since diamond and pearl days.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
It's ugly as hell. The textures need much work, and the models are pretty bad and plain looking. Also, no anti-aliasing? There's too much jaggies. Pokemon still needs to have better visuals, especially the overworld. I expected more given this the hardware that gave us eye candies like Mario Kart 7 and Kid Icarus: Uprising. :/

But the worst offender is the frame rate. Dear god, the framerate.

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
Years
I'm glad I found a game for my 3DS besides the upcoming Fire Emblem 13

I figured it wouldn't be long before Pokémon took the step to a 3Dish world, even the DS games tried to implement some pseudo3D graphics. They probably tried it out and decided it wouldn't look too bad to go full 3D. I'm glad they did, because so far the games look to be quite amazing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the zoom on the overworld has gotten smaller. It certainly does allow for more detail and really makes the world more alive. If the size of trees extends outside the screen, that means they can implement flowers growing at the base of the tree. (at least, that's what I thought I saw). Maybe it's just a limited area, but it certainly looks appealing to me. <3

To posters above: Let's just hope that final game will have fixed those issues.

blue

gucci
Years
To go from this
72.png

To this
135764447855.png

Within a year is a huge step up.

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
Years
I personally don't get the bashing, I think it looks perfectly fine, also I don't get how people see the human characters as looking off, they don't look off model.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
To posters above: Let's just hope that final game will have fixed those issues.
I hope so. They got plenty of time to polish everything up. I like the artstyle, it's very fitting for pokemon. But technically, the 3DS is capable of MUCH more than this mess.
To go from this
72.png

To this
135764447855.png

Within a year is a huge step up.
I don't see it. I'd take the first screenshot over the second any time.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

These graphics are amazing! Look at those battles! I think we could be in for another Greg game!

Hovo

We gotta stay together.
Years
The overworld is a HUGE turnoff for me.

I wasn't too into Gen V and I was hoping Gen VI would bring me back into the series. So far I'm not too excited but I'm gonna wait for some more information to come.

Charicific

PkMn Trainer
Years
The graphics blew me. They look quite gorgeous and all, but I sure will miss the 2D Gameplay style :(
I don't know how will this affect the gameplay but....it's still Pokemon...so I am madly in love with it no matter what.
I urge into pushing the graphical improvements forward, in fact, I always dreamed of a full 3D Pokemon game. It's just that other spin-offs utilized 3D terribly.

Arrrgh me and my internal conflicting mind set X_X !

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Do note that this game is going to come out in 10 months.

That's a lot of time for graphics to be polished up on after this trailer. Not bad for a work in progress!

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
It's ugly as hell. The textures need much work, and the models are pretty bad and plain looking. Also, no anti-aliasing? There's too much jaggies. Pokemon still needs to have better visuals, especially the overworld. I expected more given this the hardware that gave us eye candies like Mario Kart 7 and Kid Icarus: Uprising. :/

But the worst offender is the frame rate. Dear god, the framerate.

Yep, the texture are horrible. The overall quality are much DS like except for the whole 3D things. But I guess this is temporary since it just trailer. They could do much better than this. The development budget Pokemon game needs are nothing compared to their profits from sale alone.

Back