• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ones That Got Away Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen May 17, 2016
Got any Pokemon stuck in your PC, waiting for the day they're finally given the chance to shine? Maybe you couldn't catch them before you beat the Elite Four. Maybe you had to choose a different Pokemon because they'd make completing the game easier. Maybe there were just too many awesome Pokemon to choose from, and seeing as you can only have a team of 6, some cool Pokemon that you always wanted to raise just slipped through the net...

Well, here's your chance to finally give them their turn to shine! Everyone must have a stack of Pokemon stashed away somewhere that they never got the chance to use on a team, even if you really wanted to originally. Catch them as normal, trade (at as low a level as possible, preferably as eggs) or hack them to a new game, and complete a playthrough with team members you've never used before!

To sign up, use the following form:

Name:
Game:
List of Pokemon that got away:
Number required:
Any specific requirements:
(E.g. certain types for HM purposes. Please try to avoid asking for one specific Pokemon)

This challenge is open to all Generations, and Ultimate and Monotype Challenges are also possible if you'd like. So, make your list of Pokemon you always wanted to raise but never got round to it, and let the person below you choose which ones will make up your team! HM Slaves are allowed. The Challenge is completed when you beat the E4 at their highest levels - so if there's an option to rematch the E4 at higher levels, the Challenge doesn't end until you do so. Red, if he's available, is an optional extra.

Optional Rule (thanks to Cathar for the inspiration):
Spoiler:

Challengers:
Spoiler:

Champions:
Spoiler:

Userbars: (Thanks to jdthebud!)
Spoiler:

When you finish the Challenge, do a quick review of each of your team members - impressions and team awards would be great. As this Challenge is all about finding out the strengths of Pokemon you didn't previously know, it'd be cool to hear your impressions of your newly raised Pokemon!

Some example team awards:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

tachikaze316

Master of Procrastination
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 16, 2015
You can use Dragonite, Toxicroak, Pinsir, Girafarig, Mismagius and Omastar

Name: Tachikaze
Game: Pearl
Pokemon that got away:
Spoiler:

Number required: 6
Specific requirements: N/A

Last edited:

jujuju

The Guelah Papyrus
Years
You can use Floatzel, Qwilfish, Victreebel, Venomoth, Kangaskhan and Gallade

Game: Gold
Pokemon that got away: (In no particular order)
Spoiler:

# of pokemon: 6

blue

gucci
Years

Spoiler:

Still need to check through my PC Pokémon, but Jujuju, you get

Cloyster
Hypno
Golduck
Ariados
Aipom
Weezing

tachikaze316

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 16, 2015

Spoiler:

Thanks, I'll get started soon.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Just a quick question, as I'm considering entering this so I have something to do in spare time, but we can enter this even if we've beaten the Elite Four, right? You implied it, but I just wanted to double check. Thanks in advance.

Years
  • Seen May 17, 2016
Just a quick question, as I'm considering entering this so I have something to do in spare time, but we can enter this even if we've beaten the Elite Four, right? You implied it, but I just wanted to double check. Thanks in advance.

Erm... Well, I had intended it to be a playthrough challenge, so probably not, unless you mean on GSC/HGSS to raise a team to beat Red. Otherwise it's not really a challenge at all, you'd just be raising Pokemon with no real goal. The aim was to make you use Pokemon you'd never got around to using before on a team; I don't really see where the beginning or end of the "challenge" would be if you'd already beaten the E4.

tachikaze316

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 16, 2015
So, in that case...it's just a playthrough only catching our designated team members, right? If so, can I cheat for the 5 team members I can't catch pre-national dex?

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Erm... Well, I had intended it to be a playthrough challenge, so probably not, unless you mean on GSC/HGSS to raise a team to beat Red. Otherwise it's not really a challenge at all, you'd just be raising Pokemon with no real goal. The aim was to make you use Pokemon you'd never got around to using before on a team; I don't really see where the beginning or end of the "challenge" would be if you'd already beaten the E4.

Hm, I just kinda got the vibe that this team is crafted from Pokemon that are just sitting in your PC, not having to start over. I was thinking you'd raise a team to use against the E4, and it'd be harder for some games since the E4 gets stronger after you beat them a certain number of times. But that answers that then.

Years
  • Seen May 17, 2016
So, in that case...it's just a playthrough only catching our designated team members, right? If so, can I cheat for the 5 team members I can't catch pre-national dex?

Of course.

Hm, I just kinda got the vibe that this team is crafted from Pokemon that are just sitting in your PC, not having to start over. I was thinking you'd raise a team to use against the E4, and it'd be harder for some games since the E4 gets stronger after you beat them a certain number of times. But that answers that then.

It's essentially a variation on the Random Pokemon Challenge, but using Pokemon you actually always wanted to raise but never did.

jujuju

The Guelah Papyrus
Years
Could I actually replace Cloyster with something. I forgot that you cant get a water stone in gold until late in the game. Unless i would be able to hack in water stone.

Years
  • Seen May 17, 2016
Could I actually replace Cloyster with something. I forgot that you cant get a water stone in gold until late in the game. Unless i would be able to hack in water stone.

To be honest, I don't really mind hacking, as this challenge is all about getting to use Pokemon you never have before; who would I be to deny you the opportunity to use a Cloyster just because you can't get a Water Stone till after the E4 in Gold.

If for whatever reason you can't get the Stone, take Xatu!

jujuju

The Guelah Papyrus
Years
To be honest, I don't really mind hacking, as this challenge is all about getting to use Pokemon you never have before; who would I be to deny you the opportunity to use a Cloyster just because you can't get a Water Stone till after the E4 in Gold.

k thanks, i'll stick with cloyster

First Update:
Spoiler:

Current Team:
:t097:
Lv. 32
Headbutt
Fire Punch
Confusion
Hypnosis

:t109:
Lv. 31
Sludge
Tackle
Smog
Rollout

:t168:
Lv. 30
Poison Sting
Leech Life
Night Shade
Constrict

Last edited:

tachikaze316

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 16, 2015
Started my challenge, first update:

-Chose the male trainer, named myself Tachi and my rival Gav.
-Chose the grass type starter...Bellsprout!
-Was attacked by a wild Starly, Bellsprout whipped it. Whipped it good.
-Erm, apparently something screwed up and Gav got himself a Turtwig...which is wierd because the Turtwig ball had my Bellsprout in it.
-Headed to Rowan's lab, nicknamed Bellsprout Devo and got my pokedex.
-Beat some trainers on Route 202, entered Jubilife City
-Delivered Gav's Parcel, got a town map.
-Beat a couple of kids, got tm10.
-Taught Devo Hidden Power, decided to test it on a couple of wild pokemon, doesn't affect Starly, hits Shinx for neutral damage = Ghost, I believe
-Got my Poketch, decided to grind to lv13
-Rival battle was pathetically easy, but I had a level advantage and sleep powder, so that's to be expected...
-Battled all the trainers on the way to Oreburgh City.
-Told Roark to get back to the gym.
-Proceeded to show him what Devo does when a problem comes along.

Team:
Devo/Bellsprout Lv.16
-Vine Whip
-Growth
-Sleep Powder
-Hidden Power (Ghost)

Last edited:

jujuju

The Guelah Papyrus
Years
Update #2 Beat the Elite 4!:
Spoiler:

Current Team:
:t055:
Lv. 54
Strength
Ice Punch
Surf
Waterfall

:t097:
Lv. 52
Fire Punch
Headbutt
Hypnosis
Psychic

:t110:
Lv. 51
Rollout
Sludge Bomb
Destiny Bond
Haze

:t168:
Lv. 50
Poison Sting
Dig
Fury Swipes
Flash

:t190:
Lv. 51
Headbutt
Shadow Ball
Thunderpunch
Cut

:t091:
Lv. 51
Ice Beam
Surf
Whirlpool
Swift

Years
Name: WeightyWillBill
List of Pokemon that got away:
Spoiler:

Number required: 4 sounds good
Any specific requirements: One of them could surf? =D

tachikaze316

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 16, 2015
I'm not sure if I'm supposed to give you your team or if you're meant to wait for someone else to sign up but if I am supposed to...you can have a Gyarados, Vileplume, Jolteon and Aipom.

Update #2

-Headed back to Jubilife City
-Caught a Bidoof and Starly for slaving purposes
-Helped Dawn beat up the Galactic grunts
-Headed to Floaroma Town
-Caught Miles the Buizel, figured he was probably strong enough to take on the grunt outside the windworks.
-Took on the grunt outside the windworks, Miles would've KOd it, but got crit'd with scratch on what should've been the last turn... finished him off with Devo.
-Miles beat up the grunts in the Meadow, got the works key
-Headed back to the windworks, beat up Mars.
-Battled my way to the Eterna Forest, met Cheryl, decided this'd be the closest thing to a logical place to find a Venonat in Sinnoh
-Caught Mothra the Venonat
-Fought through the forest, Devo evolved
-Entered Eterna, got Hm01, taught it to Bidoof
-Headed to the gym, beat all the trainers (You're standing in a corner facing a tree...that is not hiding, honestly, do they think I'm looking down from the sky or something?)
-Mothra swept through Gardenia's team. Poison Powder/Leech Life for Cherubi and Turtwig and Confusion for Roserade

Team:
Devo/Weepinbell Lv.21
-Vine Whip
-Growth
-Sleep Powder
-Hidden Power (Ghost)
Mothra/Venonat Lv.18
-Leech Life
-Confusion
-Disable
-Poison Powder
Miles/Buizel Lv.16
-Quick Attack
-Water Gun
-Pursuit
-Swift

Years
I'm not sure if I'm supposed to give you your team or if you're meant to wait for someone else to sign up but if I am supposed to...you can have a Gyarados, Vileplume, Jolteon and Aipom.

Awesome, BUT I'd have to cheat for 2 (rather than 1) of those stones if I want to have fully evolved Pokemon, is that okay?

Years
  • Seen May 17, 2016
Awesome, BUT I'd have to cheat for 2 (rather than 1) of those stones if I want to have fully evolved Pokemon, is that okay?

That's fine.

Sorry I've been away for a few days as our phone line broke, but I'll add you to the challengers list! Have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back