• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokémon Prototype

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Hack Name: Pokémon Prototype

Hack Of: Pokémon Red

Introduction: This is a hack I have been working on for a while now, and it is coming along very nicely. Much of the game is completely redone to give you a new fresh experience, while still maintaining that traditional Pokémon game feel. An important purpose of this thread is to get lots of feedback from people on my hack. I'll ask many questions and I'm very interested in your ideas and opinions. Here's what I have so far...

Story: You are a teenager who gets his first Pokémon from a professor who lives next door, Prof. Oak. He tells you about the recent advancements made by Pokémon scientists and researchers. Scientists from Cinnabar Island have been researching an ancient Pokémon that's believed to be extinct named Mew. After studying Mew's DNA long enough, the scientists attempted to create a Prototype clone that they called Mewtwo. The Prototype destroyed the research lab on Cinnabar Island and escaped. Prof. Oak asks you and his grandson to work together to gather all the information you can and find out where Mewtwo has gone. He informs you that Team Rocket, a group of Pokémon thugs, has already began an intense investigation to track down the Prototype. If Team Rocket gets their hands on Mewtwo, they could use that power to take down anyone who gets in their way. You must assemble a powerful team of Pokémon and get to Mewtwo before Team Rocket!

Features:
-A snazzy new title screen
-A brand new region, mapped by jwibagi
-Original music, composed by Mickey-A 42
-Pokémon and trainer sprites from GSC (no more pixely back sprites!)
-A fully functional EXP bar, like in GSC
-A whole new font
-Wild Pokémon data changed (Pokédex completion is possible within the game)
-Rival's, Gym Leaders', Elite Four's, other trainers' parties modified
-Items in marts, Game Corner prizes, in-game trades, and npc gifts are different
-ALL CAPS WORDS removed

Videos:
Prototype Title Screen - "Who's That Pokémon?"

Fusion Evolution

Custom Music:

Generation II Features:

Party Menu:
EoXoT8m.gif

aFaQNf7.png

Gen IV Pokémon Sprites:
xMEzOxJ.png

Credits:
Spoiler:

Gen II Pokémon:
Pichu, Cleffa, Igglybuff, Crobat, Bellossom, Politoed, Slowking, Steelix, Tyrogue, Hitmontop, Blissey, Kingdra, Scizor, Smoochum, Elekid, Magby, Espeon, Umbreon, and Porygon2

Screenshots:
New Titlescreen
CVLGfjw.png

"Danny-E 33" Logo
2SLHXUR.png

Town Map
5eTLMjS.png

New Player Back Sprite (credit: Poketto)
soYyfc2.png
Kk0bN2r.png

New Battle HUD
tQnGgs5.png
llaKWsK.png

Different Venusaur (and Ivysaur) Front/Back Sprite Palettes
2nxzp6C.png

New Sprites and Palettes
ot7PVe9.png
T32A7ob.png
MLPHWRH.png

TrliVVr.png
WUbD7N2.png
68l36Ff.png

lcCYlUs.png
FLt9PMf.png
kZp9HSU.png

Colored Oak Intro
ecEacFt.png
Or6uhk5.png
gMOfHhl.png
etMnoVX.png

New Font
VLkSndS.png
AWQDvaq.png

Recolored Pokéballs
tyIXUnN.png
2CINKtd.png

GSC Recolors
i83NaNG.png

Yellow (and Green) Recolors
trwfvEF.png

Poketto's Sprites
0UfBzHF.png

Red Backsprite Revamp - Gambler Recolor - Channeler Recolor - Giovanni Recolor - Custom Cooltrainer M

Fire Red/Leaf Green Devamps
jCuAhzv.png

Old Man Backsprite (Mateo) - Enigneer (Luigi-San) - Cueball - Tamer - Cooltrainer F (PixelEye) - Lorelei - Agatha

Progress:
Titlescreen - 100%
Maps - 7%
Town Map - 100%
Wild Pokémon - 0%
Trainer Parties - 0%
Items - 0%
Text - 50%
Graphics - 100%
Music - 10%

Pokémon Prototype Support Banner
HTML:
[URL=http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=280847][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/euRwsa6.png[/IMG][/URL]
Copy the above text into your signature and help me out! ^_^

Last edited:

DaleH771

Pokémon: Giovanni Origins developer
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
I love these hacks of old games and yours looks exactly like what I'd like to see. I love games in which people stick to the original Pokemon feel rather than create a bizarre storyline. Surely if all the maps are redone you could instead create your own region and rename everything?

Personally I'd love to create a hack of Pokemon Gold, but I already have a hack in the making and cannot just abandon it.

Keep this up, I think it looks cool!

slim spazzy

Kik: spazzyda59
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 15, 2017
well according to me the storyline of this hack soundsthe same as the regular fire red.

qaz015393

pokemon revenge developer
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
Seems very interesting. Really like the tiles & title screen. Keep it up.

Asuf

Dragon Tamer
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 24, 2012
Wow a Red hack, it's looking good, I like original storylines so I'll keep checking on this.
Good luck with it.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 21, 2016
Hey, if you need a semi-decent spriter, than I should be able to supply you with some decent sprites.

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Sorry for the delay with me making my first reply. I'll be sure to reply to comments much sooner! :)

Looks pretty interesting, if its possible, you should try to put new attacks in, and what would be even cooler would be if you could make a signature move for every family of Pokemon. :)

I like that idea :) I'll definitely look into how to do that and I'll keep you in the loop(: I don't imagine it'll be too hard. And by "family" do you mean each element (grass, fire, water, etc.)? or do you mean something else?

I love these hacks of old games and yours looks exactly like what I'd like to see. I love games in which people stick to the original Pokemon feel rather than create a bizarre storyline. Surely if all the maps are redone you could instead create your own region and rename everything?

Personally I'd love to create a hack of Pokemon Gold, but I already have a hack in the making and cannot just abandon it.

Keep this up, I think it looks cool!

Thank you! I'm glad you like it! I'm a little hesitant to redo the layout of the town map, because if I did that then I would feel the need to rename towns and the region and gym leaders. I'm afraid that would be too far away from the original Pokemon game feel that I'm going for. What do you all think?

well according to me the storyline of this hack soundsthe same as the regular fire red.

What do you mean? As far as I'm aware, FireRed doesn't focus on Mewtwo anymore than the original Red does...

Seems very interesting. Really like the tiles & title screen. Keep it up.

Thanks! I spent quite a while on the Titlescreen. I'll update the screenshot of it as soon as the Mewtwo sprite is replaced with the Crystal frontsprite for Mewtwo :)

The 5th screen has a tile error... you should fix it.

What do you see wrong with it? I don't see any errors...

Wow a Red hack, it's looking good, I like original storylines so I'll keep checking on this.
Good luck with it.

Thanks! Be sure to check back every now and again!

Hey, if you need a semi-decent spriter, than I should be able to supply you with some decent sprites.

Do you mean overworld sprites or front/back battle sprites? Because I've already made the only minor adjustments to the overworld sprites that I plan on making. And as far as battle sprites, I'm replacing every front and back sprite with the sprites from a mix of Gold Silver and Crystal. I just have to figure it out all the way. So unless you can help me understand how to obtain the uncompressed form of the data of GSC sprites then you probably can't help me much. But thanks alot for the offer! :D

And this goes for anyone: if you think you can help me insert the GSC sprites into my Red rom successfully, just message me! :)

Not a whole lot of real progress on my hack lately since most of my time is spent towards reading and learning more about rom hacking, rather than direct progress. But I do have one announcement that I'm rather proud of! The four Pokemon that evolve by trade (Kadabra, Machoke, Graveler, Haunter) now evolve at a certain level!! This was all I needed to make it possible to complete the entire Pokedex within the game :) And to clearify, not only can you complete the Pokedex, there aren't any Pokemon where you are limited with the number you are able to catch, with the exception of Arcticuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Mewtwo, and Mew. For example, some Pokemon you have no limit to how many you can find: the three starters (but don't worry. I didn't put all of them on Route 1 like every other small Red hack), Farfetch'd, Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan, Lapras, Eevee, the fossilized Pokemon, and Snorlax. Let me know what you think about all of this! :)

Keep the feedback and the suggestions comin(:

Last edited:

Digidestined123

Hacker in training
Years
By family, I mean for like, well, the Bulbasaur family, the Charmander family, the Squirtle family, that kind. A pokemon and its evolved forms. Like, you could hack Frenzy Plant into the game so Venusaur can learn it at level 40.

By family, I mean for like, well, the Bulbasaur family, the Charmander family, the Squirtle family, that kind. A pokemon and its evolved forms. Like, you could hack Frenzy Plant into the game so Venusaur can learn it at level 40.

Sorry for the reply, accidently pressed Quick reply. XD Anyways, like you could make a move called "Flame Wing" for Moltres.

Last edited by a moderator:

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Well that would require making 80 new moves for every basic Pokemon and their evolutions. That's alot :P perhaps I'll make a few. Say, one for each element. But I don't know about one for each family. How does that sound?

And now that I think about it, the animation for an attack is one thing I would have no idea how to do. The stats shouldn't be to hard, I would just follow the structure of every other move. But idk how the animations work :P

Last edited:

Digidestined123

Hacker in training
Years
Well that would require making 80 new moves for every basic Pokemon and their evolutions. That's alot :P perhaps I'll make a few. Say, one for each element. But I don't know about one for each family. How does that sound?

And now that I think about it, the animation for an attack is one thing I would have no idea how to do. The stats shouldn't be to hard, I would just follow the structure of every other move. But idk how the animations work :P

That would work good, maybe just make them for some, use the animation of old attacks.

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Yeah, I'll definitely look into it more before I say it's for sure, but I'll give it a shot! As sooon as I finish figuring out these sprites! :P

Last edited:

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
This hack sound promising, (not very often we said older generation hacks).
But the screenshots don't show alot in my opinion.
Like, the second and third, look no different to pokémon red.
The fourth? Looks like the Oak script from Pokémon Red, just with blockade stones all around.
The first and final shots are the only ... 'decent' ones. I like the title screen, i've not seen many title hacks of Red, and is that Gold's overworlds for the player? (fifth shot).

Either way, I wish you the best of luck in this project.

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
This hack sound promising, (not very often we said older generation hacks).
But the screenshots don't show alot in my opinion.
Like, the second and third, look no different to pokémon red.
The fourth? Looks like the Oak script from Pokémon Red, just with blockade stones all around.
The first and final shots are the only ... 'decent' ones. I like the title screen, i've not seen many title hacks of Red, and is that Gold's overworlds for the player? (fifth shot).

Either way, I wish you the best of luck in this project.

Yeah, I definitely agree with you, some of the screenshots don't show very much. But when I make enough progress, I'll add alot more. But to open a thread of my hack I needed a minimum of 5 screenshots that show progress. And they all do show sooomething. If you compare it to Pokemon Red, the second screenshot shows a new arrow graphic and that the ALL CAPS words were removed. The third shows the new border for the text boxes which is the border used for GSC (and the japanese versions of Red and Green). So they don't show a whole lot, but hey, I needed 5 screenshots :P The fourth image is the remade Route 1. I'm not sure why you say it doesn't show much. That is real progress. It shows just as much as the screenshot of the remade Viridian City. And yes, I am using Gold's overworld sprite and I will also be using Gold's battle sprite (although I might modify it a bit).

And thank you very much(:

The water looks weird if it's not bordered... it looks like it's about to flow away...
If it cannot be done, then my bad.

No, it's just that water is not supposed to be bordered on the bottom. That's just how it was in the old games :P

Last edited:

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Success!! I finally have some GSC sprites in my hack!! :D Check the first post for an updated titlescreen with the Crystal sprite for Mewtwo! Also, I changed alot in the story line. I introduced how Team Rocket will be playing a much bigger role in this game. Also your rival will be more of a team-player, instead of a jerk. :P

Questions Comments Concerns?? Really, I want your feedback! :)

~Danny-E 33

Last edited:

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
So I think I've decided that I will re-layout the Town Map, but I won't change the names of the region, towns, gym leaders etc. I just want it to be a new vision of Kanto, but I don't want it to be completely fake. So that it doesn't feel so old and it takes you on a new adventure while still making you feel at home(:

Anyone object?

Now that I'm making serious progress with the battle sprites, I'll finish those up and then I think I'll move on to the Town Map and map headers next :) then do all the remapping. And after that, perhaps I'll rethink the new wild Pokemon data since I first did that before the towns were reorganized. Then I'll continue with the smaller things.

See ya for now!
~Danny-E 33

Last edited:

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Alright, I have the new Town Map up! It is subject to change, so let me know what you think of it! Tell me what doesn't look quite right, or what you really like about it! I'll post a new screenshot of it when I fix the town cursors :P

~Danny-E 33

EDIT: Alright! I cleaned up the Town Map and fixed the cursor locations to fit the new map! I also added and edited several tiles like the water and "dungeon" tiles! Check it out and tell me what you think! :D

Last edited:
Back