• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Upcoming Pokemon Games!

Years
Well, Pokemon Black and White 2 are now out, and it's time for GameFreak to start making a new Pokemon Game. Now lets be honest here, any Pokemon fan has had to have at least thought about what the next major addition to the Pokemon franchise will be!

So, what do you guys think will be the next generation of pokemon games, or perhaps you think they will make additions to Saphire/Ruby. And if they were to make a new generation of games, what would they call it and what kind of plot/characters do you think should/might be involved?

Speculate!

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
Years
I heard something about a real-time battle system with button-pressing combos - something to create a more anime-like feel. They had BETTER do that. They also need character development, like a protagonist seeking to find their missing father or something, and another evil team like Plasma - one that goes to ridiculous lengths. I'd also like character customization, or at least better designs than what BW2 gave us.

I don't want any more new Pokemon. I have trouble remembering all of them now because the number has gotten ridiculous. A real-time battle system with Pokemon we know would be a new direction. I don't want to have only new Pokemon and a new region... Pokemon has gotten tired and they need a new direction badly.

Years
Well, I would be really excited about a new generation with new pokes and a new region, but I would be disappointed at the same time because GameFreak is slowly running out of ideas for new Pokes, and we can see it in the poor design of the 5th gen Pokes.

Yes, I can see the franchise dying by 2015 or so (*cry*) but they still have potential for games before then. I think they should make an official Pokemon MMO, although it might be a risky choice. Real time battle seems kinda gimmiky, but having more control of your Pokemon (although not following the theme of you being a trainer) is a nice feeling, as I know from playing mystery dungeon, and Super Smash Bro. games, I guess it might be interesting, and character custimization is a must!*hates stupid visors*

LividZephyr

Years
Yeah, the visors are REALLY stupid. Big downgrade from Hilbert and Hilda's practical and good-loooking headgear.

I'm not totally sold on an MMO to be honest, because... would it have a plot? Or would you just go around collecting Pokemon and battling whomever you encounter? Isn't that kind of like what we do now, only worth $25 a month? I'd much prefer a real-time RPG for the 3DS - even if it's gimmicky, infinite amounts of combos and all kinds of cool things could easily add up to make it awesome again. If they don't go in a new direction, I do agree - Gen VI might be the last before the series starts to wither because GameFreak can't use any new ideas.

Hence... anything new at this point would be appreciated, as opposed to adding menial things and new Pokemon. I'd rather have a real-time RPG in Hoenn than the same old game in a new region with new Pokemon.

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2017
I heard something about a real-time battle system with button-pressing combos - something to create a more anime-like feel. They had BETTER do that. They also need character development, like a protagonist seeking to find their missing father or something, and another evil team like Plasma - one that goes to ridiculous lengths. I'd also like character customization, or at least better designs than what BW2 gave us.

I don't want any more new Pokemon. I have trouble remembering all of them now because the number has gotten ridiculous. A real-time battle system with Pokemon we know would be a new direction. I don't want to have only new Pokemon and a new region... Pokemon has gotten tired and they need a new direction badly.
+1 pretty much
Also that's what I wrote recently in youtube:
Hey pokemon creators, why don't you make sth different for a change instead of same old games with just new pokemon(by the way most them are lame and shi***-looking compared to the kanto & johto ones mostly)?
How about a more lifelike 3d game with third-person view and an interactive camera system following ash's path pretty much in season 1 for a start. Or you put your a** down and think sth good for the millions of fans that you dissapoint.
I'm tired of this.
Thumbs down if I'm the only one.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 25, 2012
Assuming Pokemon will continue, which it definitely will, there's going to be more spin-offs and more main-series games. I personally look forward to the main series games more than the spin-offs, and wouldn't mind a remake of R/S or even a 6th generation. Not really sure why "bad" designs of the new Pokemon are going to deter people from playing new games, but that'd be a sad way for Pokemon to end, at the hands of its fans.

And if they decide to go an innovative route, I wouldn't mind seeing a new console game or something innovative for the DS. I think traveling the world as a Pokemon would be pretty cool.

Iqid Loopz

This sentence is a lie.
Years
Imagine Skyrim style type of game and Pokemon style type of game do the fusion dance with each other. And BAM! Some next Pokemon game is created...but I highly doubted though. Nintendo and GameFreak make some odd decisions involving games, and I think sorta (they don't listen to the fan base on types of games) and just aim for children and not for the mature.

But those two basically aim at remakes and crossovers, with that (Samurai Warriors thingy) game. If they remake PokeSnap 2...OMG!

But then yet again im talking out of my bum, we really don't know whats happening behind those doors...unless....actually no no no nvm bad thought.

LividZephyr

Years
I honestly don't expect them to do a Skyrim-style game. That's a bit too open-ended; in Pokemon, there needs to be a continuous quest. They need to appeal to the younger generations whilst appealing towards the series veterans. Being like another popular series really isn't the way to do that.

They need to take what exists and expand it, make it into their own, and they need something real-time that keeps the same formula and gives us a deeper plot at the same time - something that makes the same old a new experience given a different battle system, and possibly a 3D overworld that functions more like Zelda (like they did in Colosseum and XD - only on the 3DS).

I don't think they should try console RPGs again because they'll probably just mess them up. The spin-off games are typically for the consoles. Why should they deviate from the platforms they do best?

Though, granted, they DO need to stop all of the connectivity nonsense, and give us a damn Challenge Mode that nobody else needs to send us...

Greenbeans

Guardian of Le Foret
Years
I heard that they are making another mystery dungeon and if so i cant wait for that!
But i think they may do the thing they did in 4th gen where they did diamond/pearl then platinum. Except they are doing bw1/bw2 then ????
That is my opinion on what may be happening next but i am not completely sure ^_^

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
They will probably make a few more Spin Offs like Mystery Dungeon - Magnagate & the Infinity Labyrinth before they go to 6th Gen. Some times we can tell the way the games go by where they are in the Anime and apparently the League is coming soon so they will probably rap up 5th gen at least by I think the beginning of 2014 since BW came out 2010 and it is usually a 4 year gap between gens, although there will have to be a hefty filler saga for the anime since it is about over.

I figure we will start RSE remake coverage around the beginning or middle of next year and they release it in the Fall.

I adamantly believe we will see a sixth gen, because for me dying by 2015 seems quite absurd considering how well the sells of the games still are and have fast BW sold. I don't feel like we need a MMO, a game with all the regions, or anything so far out. We just need innovations that we have got through out the generation. They kept the same basic formula throughout all these years. They already shown they could be innovated with two 3rd games that are a sequel to the first games which has yet to be done.

Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 29, 2013
I'm hoping for Ruby/Sapphire remakes, and then... who knows! I don't want to get too many "ideas" in my head as to what's next for the main series games, 'cause I could end up getting disappointed. As for side games, I'd love to see another Ranger game, and another TCG game somewhere as well.

blue

gucci
Years
I can't think of anything else that they could release other than a Ruby and Sapphire remake, we have the new Mystery Dungeon on the way, Ranger 4 won't be until late 2013 (IMO). That's my thoughts anyway, if not then a whole new Pokemon game.

Years
Judging by the past games, a new Pokémon generation is released every four years and a remake is normally released every ten years. Ruby and Sapphire was originally released in 2003, and in 2013 would be ten-year mark. Of course, all of this is speculation but I feel like it makes the most sense, judging by the release dates of the past Pokémon games.

Going by that same formula, the next generation won't be released until 2015 and that seems like quite a ways away, but there's no way to know now. I honestly feel like they'll remake Ruby and Sapphire for the DS, using the same graphics as Black 2 and White 2, before moving onto the 3DS with a new generation.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 19, 2021
I'm really excited for the new PMD game that was announced, and I do hope that there is a Ruby/Sapphire remake. Other than that, who knows! A fourth Pokémon Ranger game would be pretty cool, too.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Judging by the past games, a new Pokémon generation is released every four years and a remake is normally released every ten years. Ruby and Sapphire was originally released in 2003, and in 2013 would be ten-year mark. Of course, all of this is speculation but I feel like it makes the most sense, judging by the release dates of the past Pokémon games.

Going by that same formula, the next generation won't be released until 2015 and that seems like quite a ways away, but there's no way to know now. I honestly feel like they'll remake Ruby and Sapphire for the DS, using the same graphics as Black 2 and White 2, before moving onto the 3DS with a new generation.

Actually, Black and White were released in 2010, so if its every 4 years, then Gen 6 would be 2014. As for the 10 Year thing, Pokemon Red/Green were released in 1996 and Fire Red/Leaf Green were released in 2004. That's 8 years.

Between Gen 1 and Gen 2 was a 3 year gap.
Between Gen 2 and Gen 3 was a 3 year gap.
Between Gen 3 and Gen 4 was a 4 year gap.
Between Gen 4 and Gen 5 was a 4 year gap.

In a recent Interview Takao Unno and Junichi Masuda said that the past "patterns" were just a coincidence. They didn't mean for them to fall the way they did. None of the release patterns were planned.

So even Gamefreak debunked the patterns. Meaning we can get Gen 6 in 2013 if they wanted or in 2018. Its whenever they manage to finish working on the games. We've already missed the 10 year Anniversary chance for Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire, at least for an accurate release. November 21st will be the 10 year anniversary and November's CoroCoro was already released (since magazines release a month early this month's October is November's Coro Coro issue and the one that releases in November will be December's.)

I'd like for the next game to come out in 2014 only cause a year between is really short. There just hasn't been anything on what we're getting next, aside from the already known Mystery Dungeon which is going to suck up the rest of this year's sales and release possibly mid spring/early summer internationally. Wouldn't put it against Nintendo to schedule another Spin off before they close Gen 5 though.

TheCollector

Merely a collector
Years
  • Seen May 8, 2014
I sincerely hope they will have more character/story development. Graphically I think the game is fine (there's some heart warming feeling seeing through bird perspective the protagonist walking around in tall grass with the walking theme playing).

I think as the older Pokémon generations become exactly that (older) more darker games is needed. The Zelda franchise have successfully combined it's playful scheme with darker implements (Majora's Mask, Twilight Princess).

Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2015
So here is my general idea for the next Pokemon game. Granted it's more than likely going to be an inaccurate prediction because there is no precedent for it, but hey, there was no precedent for Black and White 2 and that happened. Okay so here it is:
Pokemon Grey for the Nintendo 3DS. (Updated graphics, maybe not full 3D models/overworld akin to PBR or the Pokedex 3D, but definitely not the outdated sprites from BW and B2W2)
Would take place in a new region, west of Unova, (continuing with the theme of resetting the series like how Johto was west of Kanto). You would be able to visit Unova and collect their badges after becoming the champion.
New player characters, new rivals, new professor, 8 new gym leaders, new elite four members and champion.
Final return of Team Plasma and N, finishing up the loose ends in their storyline. It would be about 2 years after the end of Black and White 2.
Would feature mostly Pokemon introduced in the Unova region, but include roughly 50 new never before seen Pokemon, including new starters and new evolutions from old Unova Pokemon. This would put the National Dex at about 700.
One of these new Pokemon would be the legendary Dragon that is a combination of Kyurem, Zekrom and Reshiram. It would be the version mascot.
Because it features a small amount of brand new Pokemon as well as takes place in a new region, but at the same time would be a direct continuation of the Black and White storyline and is a standalone game and not a paired version, it would be considered Generation 5.5.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
If anything there is more reason for BW2 then past third installments as it tied up lose ends like where is N, Ghetsis, what became of Plasma afterward.

How are BW/2 sprites outdated?

We already have a sub-area from West Unova that wasn't present in the last game, so unless it is a completely different Generation with different pokemon then I don't see the point. And two years after BW2 conclusion? You really think they would have all new gym leaders and Elite 4/Champ by then? Regardless of that not happening. Again we already have Black and White Kyurem so what would the point be of some sort of rehash of what already happened in the Third game?

Black and White 2 is the continuation of BW...

Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2015
I would say the sprites from BW/2 are a bit outdated because when you really compare them, they aren't that much more advanced then the sprites from the GBA games, and for a lot of them (mostly the first 493) they are the exact same sprites as as the DPP games (except now they move). Plus in BW/2 the sprites are very pixelated at times.

It wouldn't be just a new undiscovered sub-area of Unova, it would be a BRAND NEW region WEST of Unova like Johto and Kanto. Johto had a lot of Kanto based Pokemon, and this new region would have a lot of Unova based Pokemon, with a few new ones.

I get that it might be a bit strange or unnecessary to have a brand new region/some new Pokemon without beginning a new generation at the same time, but I think it could be a cool change from the traditional formula. Why not have 2 new regions in one generation? Why not add an extra 50 Pokemon late generation? Generation V seems to be all about breaking the standard formula to an extent so this could go with that theme.

It would make sense that there would be 8 new gym leaders/elite four 2 years later. because it's not Unova. This game would be a continuation of BW2 just like BW2 was a continuation of BW.

The reason I suggested only having about 50 or so new Pokemon was in part because some people think the amount of new Pokemon is getting too high and maybe Game Freak needs to cut back because they are running out of ideas? I don't necessarily agree with that but I think it could change things up a bit. Also having mostly Unova Pokemon would reinforce the idea that this game is still sorta techinically part of the Generation V series, but with a handful of new Pokemon would also be considered a semi-middle generation. Could be an interesting break from formula.

Eventually when a full blown Generation VI comes around that would include 100+ new Pokemon.

I don't really expect any of this happen. I think we'll get Generation VI before anything else and I think 3rd gen remakes will be released in Gen VI not V.

Last edited:
Back