• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

The Official Wii-U Discussion Thread

Years
The Nintendo Wii-U

Eighth Generation of Consoles
Release date: Summer 2012

"The Wii U is an upcoming video game console by Nintendo, and will be the successor to the Wii. The system was unveiled during Nintendo's press conference at the Electronic Entertainment Expo 2011 on June 7, 2011, and is expected to be released during the fourth quarter of 2012 in North America, Europe, Australia, and Japan. It will be the first entry in the eighth generation of video game consoles.
The Wii U also features a new controller, called the GamePad, with an embedded touchscreen. The controller allows a player to continue playing certain games by displaying the game even when the television is off. At the E3 2012 expo, a second controller, called the Pro Controller, was unveiled, which is a more traditional gamepad. It features two analog sticks.

The system will be backwards compatible with Wii, and Wii U games can support compatibility with Wii peripherals, such as the Wii Remote Plus and the Nunchuk. However, unlike the Wii, the Wii U will not be backwards compatible with Nintendo GameCube discs or peripherals, although games can be purchased and downloaded from Nintendo's Virtual Console service."

Tech Specs - Console:
Spoiler:

Tech Specs - Controller
Spoiler:

List of confirmed Wii-U games
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_U_games

----------------------------------------------------------

Discussion:
Your thoughts on what the future holds for the Wii-U.

NatureKeeper

To be frank, nobody knows what the Wii U's up to.

It is slightly more powerful than the current generation. To say it has revolutionary features would be an understatement. But there are a few flaws:

-8 GB Internal Flash Memory. Seriously? That can hold tonnes of WiiWare/VC games (aside from GameCube), but not Wii (U) games. And it can only hold up to 16 GCN games if we were lucky and the games weren't packed to the 2 GB of the GCN CD.

-Resistive Touch Screen. Although it allows precise use of the stylus, the use of the GamePad in the Wii U is better as capacitive than resistive. But then again, the 3DS isn't that bad with my finger, just needs a bit more pressure than phones or tablets. And with capacitive, the controller will be more expensive- and we don't want the Wii U to get the Vita treatment.

-Digital L/R/ZL/ZR triggers. Err... Most systems now have them analog.

That's it. I am glad the Wii U's launch lineup is strong. New Super Mario Bros U alone will cause some sales. Assassin's Creed III will no doubt fuel the sales further. Arkham City is going to be super-meh because everyone already played it. Also, Black Ops 2 is, according to a leak from the Nintendo Gamer magazine, is getting a November release [link] for the Wii U- so we have what the "hardcores" need.

I can safely say that I am looking forward to it. Not sure at all about the sales. The 3DS started slow, but is now outselling the Vita 10:1ish. Will the Wii U walk in its predecessor and it's handheld companion's steps or will it go in a completely different path (for better or for worse)? Time will tell.

Last edited:

Space Guard

Part-Time Avenger
Years
Definitely going to be pre-ordering this whenever Nintendo announce a price. I think the price of this system will be paramount to it's success. If Nintendo want to compete with the 360 and PS3 (which they'll have to do) then I really think around the £250 would be about right. Amazon.co.uk listed the console for £199.99 but withdrew the listing hours afterwards, but they did say the price came from their suppliers.

Regardless, I'll be getting one. Mario and (hopefully) a proper 3D Pokémon game would be huge selling points in my opinion, and I'd rather get AC3 on this than on my 360, just to see what this thing is capable of!

NatureKeeper

Iwata: Difference wouldn't be as drastic as the Wii/360/PS3

Nintendo says the difference between Wii U and Orbis and Durango won't be as much as the difference between the Wii, 360 and PS3.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/03/nintendo-discusses-wii-u-vs-next-sony-ms-consoles
Sony and Microsoft have a considerable amount to reveal about their next consoles, but one thing does seem likely - given the fact that they will debut at least a year after Wii U, they'll be more powerful than Nintendo's new dual-screen home console.

Nintendo's own investors seem concerned about this issue as well. In a recent Q&A session, global company president Satoru Iwata was asked if Wii U would be able to compete with its rivals, and whether a lack of power would once again cause the system to lose out on multi-platform games.

"Other companies might launch a next-generation console with more power, but we don't necessarily think that the difference between the Wii U and such console will be as drastic as what you felt it was between the Wii and the other consoles because there will be fewer and fewer differentiators in graphics," Iwata said. "Naturally some consumers are very sensitive about such a small difference in graphics so that we will make efforts to make the most of the performance of the Wii U to keep up with technological innovations and not to make the system out-of-date soon."

One issue confronting Nintendo was that its latest product consisted of two distinct components, the GamePad controller and the Wii U console itself, each of which could easily be regarded as its own games system - if development were left unchecked. "If we were not careful about how luxurious both of them were, we could end up having to offer the price of the two hardware systems combined," Iwata said, noting that finding an appropriate next-gen price point was extremely important. Attempting to max out Wii U hardware to the point where it effectively would offer two distinct systems was simply unacceptable to the publisher. "We had to design it by balancing the performance and the costs."

Iwata noted that Wii has struggled for "about the last two years." During that time, third parties have skewed heavily in favor of the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC platforms. That trend, combined with Nintendo's need to invest heavily in Wii U and 3DS development, meant that Wii was left to its existing library, finding new consumers through discounts and special bundles.

If Nintendo's gambles pay off, the publisher will not only minimize the graphical difference between Wii U and its future competition, but have a unique advantage through its dual-screen design. Iwata likened contemporary (and even historical) consoles to "parasites," needing an existing screen in order to function at all. Wii U will break that trend, allowing a console to not only add to a television experience, but stand separate from it as well.

"Not only by competing with other platforms only in regard to the machines' spec. figures but proposing various ways of using the Wii U, we would like to create a future so even family members who have never touched any video game systems will consider the Wii U something that is convenient to use so that we can maintain its competitiveness for a long time," Iwata said.

What do you think about this? I can't imagine a method where the PS4/720 can be incredibly advanced without repelling the developers with too much development costs, but then again Sony and Microsoft are unpredictable.

Years
Well, they will be crazy advanced, in my opinion, but developers won't have to use the technology to its full just yet.

Take the PS3, it has 3D capabilities that companies have only really started using in the last year or two, so they will, most likely, pack it full of technology for the future.​

NatureKeeper

Well, they will be crazy advanced, in my opinion, but developers won't have to use the technology to its full just yet.

Take the PS3, it has 3D capabilities that companies have only really started using in the last year or two, so they will, most likely, pack it full of technology for the future.​

On the other hand, if they do not used the technology to its full, they cannot prove that it's better than the Wii U to the people who can't get the specs compared very well, such as myself. I don't know what CPU is better than what. I am sure that the Wii U has a good CPU and GPU considering it can support three displays, TV and up to two gamepads, though.

NatureKeeper

I think the Wii U will have more game genres developed for it tbh. Think of it this way:

When MadWorld first debuted on the Wii, people didn't tend to like it because it "ruined" the image of a family console. Now, look at the Wii U: There's Black Ops, ZombiU, iirc an Assassin's Creed title...

I think the future of the Wii U holds more game genres to cater to everyone's needs.

But will the other systems' gamers accept the console? You know how the average PS3 player is like: (Of course, I said the average- no offense intended to those who use their brain before judging a system:)

"loooool u nintndo fans r so dumb wii has kiddy games i play call of duty because its so cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Or something among these lines. To put it bluntly, I don't think many PS3/360 players will accept the concept of the Wii U, they'll prefer to live on with their systems, and the Orbis and Durango in the future.

For the sake of all that's holy, Nintendo, why did you keep the same brand? I can so imagine the Wii U having a cool name like Nintendo SkyLine or Nintendo Ouranos or something. Seriously.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2012
The third party support and I read somewhere that free to play games will be supported could make this a winner. Aslong as they dont set the price too high and bring it out with a new zelda title at launch it could do as well as the wii I reckon.

Years
  • Seen Aug 15, 2012
Zombii-U

I honestly cannot wait for this game to come out. It looks so immersive!

Railgun

Ever Day Another New Adventure
Years
I think GTA V would be great on Wii U with the gamepad. I will get Wii u when it comes out. The idea of being able to take the game into another room with the gamepad is great. I wonder if the Wii U itself needs to be on or if you just need the gamepad

Years
Release Dates get!

US: November 18
Europe and Australia: November 30
Japan: December 8

Also, there will be two different bundles:

WiiU2.jpg

WiiU3.jpg

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/13/wii-u-price-release-date-announced

Totally psyched. Definitely going to preorder the Deluxe version. :D

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2013
I'm not yet sold on the Wii U.

The concept is alright, and it's cool that it's slightly more powerful than the PS3/360, but I buy consoles to play games. And so far the games seem lacking.

Mass Effect 3, Darksiders 2, Arkham City... cool, but I've got a PC, 360 and PS3 capable of playing these. CoD? Yawn. Assassin's Creed III might be cool if the Wii U version is either prettier or smoother than the 360/PS3 versions, but I'm not gonna buy a Wii U just because it's theoretically capable of potentially running multiplatform games better than on competing consoles.

And more New Super Mario Bros? C'mon Nintendo, quit milking that plumber. Or at the very least, come up with an awesome original Mario game for the Wii U, like Galaxy for the Wii.

But on the other hand, I never bought a Wii. And there are a few good Wii titles out there I'd like to play, so I could use the Wii U for that.

Mr. Magius

  
Years
I'm not hard to impress, so all I can say is I'm really pumped for the Wii U's release.
The Wii wasn't such a groundbreaking console since it lacked on quite a few things, but with a bunch of awesome new games coming up, and the fact that Nintendo's new console (finally) supports 1080p video resolution, I'm happy.

I'm also really excited that Nintendo are going toward the "hardcore gamer" direction. Nintendo offers some great games, and seeing games that I can really get into less casually will be a great experience.

Also, does anyone know how good the graphics and gameplay will be for the Wii U? Like for, for example, Black Ops II, will it have the same (or very similar) graphics and speed as a PS3 or 360? I'm just wondering and haven't done any research yet. :-)

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2013
I wouldn't count on multiplatform games looking prettier or running smoother on the Wii U.

While it's technically superior to the PS3 and 360, it's also a new console, so developers haven't learned how to optimize their games for it like they have for the other consoles.

Best case scenario, games looks slightly better and/or run smoother. Worst case scenario (AKA PS3 scenario), games run worse on the Wii U despite having better hardware. Most likely scenario: The differences between the Wii U and PS3/360 versions of games will be negligible.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
It's Nintendo, therefore I am already sold on it. Haha. I will probably buy one with Christmas money late in the year/early next year or wait until something interesting is announced. Pikmin 3 seems nice. Never got to play Pikmin or Pikmin 2, but hey, 3's a great place to start, right? lol Only problem I'll have is finding a place for it to go. I already can't fit my PS2 and GameCube in my room without looking stupid...and my NES barely got in. Hum.

Years
The only two Wii U games I have any interest in at the moment are Zelda and Dragon Quest X, and even those two aren't enough to get me to buy one yet- Zelda's never been a system seller for me, and DQX is an MMO that I'm sure we'll have to pay to play when (if) it makes it over here. All the other games are already on other systems or sequels to games I've never played, so I'll be passing on the Wii U for now.

...now might actually be a good time to get a Wii >>;;

Back