• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

How to insert new Pokemon sprites into Pokemon D/P/Pt

Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2011
This tutorial will show you how to add your own Pokemon Sprites into Platinum!

For this tutorial I will use a Shadow Lugia sprite I made, and inserting it into Platinum. You can use any sprite, as long as it fits in the 160x80 range.
First, the tools:

NDS Top System: gbatemp.net/index.php?download=225

Pokemon DS/Pic Platinum: megaupload.com/?d=YRTSK6HS

Adobe Photoshop (Sorry, cant give a link)

A Pokemon Platinum rom (Can't give you this either.)

Okay lets begin!
First, open up your rom with NDS Top System. Then load your Rom.

Then, go to the browse section, and open the poketool folder. (Look at image Tut-01 in attached.)

Go into the pokegra folder, and right click on pl_pokegra. Click extract and save it somewhere. (Look at images Tut-02 and Tut-03 in Attached.)

Open pl_pokegra in Poke DS/Pic Platinum. Head down to number 1495, and click the SavePng option. Save it in the a folder with any name. Do this with 1497, and 1499 as well (Save them in same folder!) (Look at images Tut-04, Tut-05 and Tut-06 in attached.)

Open them all in Adobe Photoshop. Look at the FRONT sprite. Click on Image, then Mode, and finally on Color Table. (Look at images Tut-07, and Tut-08 in attached.)

Edit the colors as you wish, but only from the COLOR TABLE. In this case, I recolored Lugia into Shadow Lugia. Here is his sprite:

front.png

While still in the Color Table menu, click the Save button, and name it something. Look at the back sprite. Click Image, Mode, and finally Color Table. (Look at images Tut-09 and Tut-10 in attached)

Click load, and find your previously saved table. (Last step) Your image SHOULD look the same as this:

i19.photobucket.com/albums/b152/ShadowFireMario/back.png

If it only looks slightly different, then it shouldnt be a big deal. When I say small, I mean like the eye color is different. Just replace it with the real color thats in the COLOR TABLE ONLY. If it really looks different (aka the purple is orange) then your not using the same palette.

Save both images, doesnt matter if it's interlaced or not (I dont think it does...). Open Pokemon DS/Pic Platinum (In case you closed it) and go to #1495. Replace this image and the next one with the Shadow Lugia back sprite. Replace #'s 1497, 1498, 1499, and 1500 with Shadow Lugia's Front sprite. (Look at images Tut-11, and Tut-12, in attached.)

If done correctly, no palette errors should occur. If there is (Such as a corrupted image or colors arent right, etc.) See the FAQ. Open NDS Top System, go to the Poketool folder, then the pokegra folder. Right click on pl_pokegra.narc, and click import. Find your edited pl_pokegra.narc, and import it in. Load up your game and see if it worked!

FAQ:

1Q. My Image is corrupted when I write my image in Pokemon DS/Pic Platinum. Why is this?

1A. This is because your background color NEEDS to be the first color in the palette, otherwise the above happens.

2Q. Why are there different colors on my back/front sprite than my front/back sprite?

2A. Sorry for the wording, but this means both of your sprites are using different palettes. You must use the same palette, otherwise the above happens.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chibi Robo

of the entire epoch!
Years
  • Age 28
  • Cali
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
Woah this is a great tutorial for people inspiring to hack pokemon platinum but will this also work for DP?
Anyways I think this is real helpful and I will probaly try this out as soon as I get photoshop ^^

Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2011
Yes, you can do this with Diamond/Pearl. I believe all you do is open the files listed in the tutorial without the "pl_" part in front of it.

So instead of pl_pokegra, you open pokegra.

Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2010
i tried this on the trainer back sprites and it just came up as the same...

diando

Thanks for the tutorial but do you know how to edit the title screen in D/P/Pt

Jeyboye

Digital and traditional art
Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2009
Does it matter if the edited sprite is a few kb larger then the original file but, still, the same dimensions?<br><br>And, do you apply the same colortable to the shiny .png? <br>

Years
  • Seen Jun 4, 2010
Ok I am trying to change tenatcruel's sprite. And I am using these pics. And there not working, why?

Years
  • Seen Jul 15, 2009
could u put another link for Pokemon DS/Pic Platinum?, megaupload doesn't work in HOng Kong

Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2011
@Kahroo: The edited Pokemon Sprite must follow these guidelines:

1. The image must be 160x80 in dimensions or else the image goes corrupt
2. Since the sprites are indexed, they have a color table. The color table must have only 16 colors, or else the sprite goes corrupt.
3. The background color has to be the FIRST color in the index, or else the sprite goes corrupt.

@vaxidd: Here you go, a link for Filefront:http://www.filefront.com/14048781/Pokemon DS Pic Platinum.rar

Years
  • Seen Nov 9, 2015
I am a n00b at this. I did what he said, imported it, and only difference is the lugia has red eyes. How do i make it shadow?

Also can you do this with crossover on a mac?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2009
Hi this is probably a stupid qestion and I probably did something i shouldnt have, but I edited the pictures like you said, and then i opened them each where they should go, but when i went back to check, they had reverted to the originals, how do I save the edited images in pokemon ds/pic without them reverting?

Never mind the above, I got it. Thanks for the wonderful tutorial

Now a second point is could I use this method to say replace a picture of chimchar with a picture of a watch or something, if so how?

Last edited:

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
O.o
maybe by...
making a picture of a watch
copying it
indexing it to color table of sprite
pasting it again
set the bg color
insert it?
just a guess....

Years
  • Seen Jul 4, 2010
When i try to load the images in pl_pokegra.narcc it just shows up as random colors. Not sure why, ive tried getting another platinum rom, and downloading all the programs fresh but it wont work >< any suggestions?

Years
  • Seen Oct 11, 2009
Woah this is a great tutorial for people inspiring to hack pokemon platinum but will this also work for DP?
Anyways I think this is real helpful and I will probaly try this out as soon as I get photoshop ^^

I hope other members would love to share their great photos and memories this site.

Back