• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Transferring older Pokémon or updated features?

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
As we all know, it is impossible to transfer any Pokémon from generations older than generations III to the generations III games. One of the reasons for this is a drastic change in how the games worked, changing IVs, EVs and more. But would not having all these changes be worth it if you could trade with the older versions? Do you like how they did it? Did the remakes make up for it?

Discuss!

Spr_3r_302.png

So sneaky~

Gyardosamped

entering snake habitat
Years
I don't think I minded much because the remakes covered all that up for me. I prefer to have all the updated mechanics with the Pokémon I trade instead of not having them if I were, to let's say, trade between G/S/C and R/S/E. Battling and stuff of that nature was much easier to do in the older generations because the mechanics were so much simpler to understand, but now I believe one has to strategize a bit more if they want to win a competitive battle, for example, so I really like the upgraded mechanics now because it makes the games more challenging.

Last edited:

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
I would have much preferred the way they did it to using the older mechanics. The new mechanics were a big upgrade from what we had before, and to be able to trade with older generations wouldn't be worth it. Plus the remakes made up for it in the end.

Years
Considering how big of a technological leap there was between the second and third gen games, I really didn't have a problem that we couldn't transfer Pokemon over. Even if they did decide to give us the option to send our Pokemon to the 3rd gen, they would've have to been given a random ability and nature, and those that had high IV's in G/S/C would be considered average at best with the overhaul.

All in all, while it would've been nice to theoretically have Pokemon from Red and Blue be useable on the fifth gen games, I understand the challenges they would've faced to try and make it possible. Plus, getting FireRed and LeafGreen because of it is more than a fair trade off.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
I was really sad since I couldn't get in my Johto and Kanto Pokémon up there. And forget getting a GameCube and buying Colosseum, that's out of the question. Speaking of which, the Remakes didn't make up much, since some Johto Pokémon still weren't available.

Back