• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

6th Gen 3DS Exclusive - RIP Pokemon?

Years
Will the 3DS cut off the audience?

Now we know the game is for the 3DS only, do you think this will cut down on the audience that can be targeted? The Pokemon games have always followed the trend of going onto a new handheld, but with the 3DS being the 'newest' console and some people not being able to afford it, do you think it will hurt the amount of people who can actually play the game?

Do you think that enough people have the 3DS? Do you think it is just how the games industry flows, going onto a new console? Do you think it is fair? What do you think of the lack of DS editions?

Last edited:
Years
I think if any game can boost and push the 3DS, it would be Pokemon. If I am honest, the announcement of the game and my first views of it, it is making me consider getting a 3DS later down the line for the game.​

MrGriszell

Madara
Years
  • Seen Feb 11, 2021
I don't think it's going to be an issue. When talking in Japan the majority have a 3DS.
In the U.S. I believe enough people have a 3ds.
But it's not like the 3ds hasn't been out for a while my friend.
Those who are pokemon fans will buy one

Years
Not to mention Pokemon X and Y does not come out until October at which time I am certain that at the very least the regular 3DS will have gone down in price.

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2014
No. There's your answer.

It'll be just the opposite - this new Pokemon game will help the 3DS become a much bigger sell.

People buy new consoles for new games, it's not rocket science.

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
I have to agree there, I think Pokemon could promote the console of 3DS and since with amazing games already out like the newest Animal Crossing, over time more people have started owning a 3DS,so no I don't think this will affect the games industry too much.

Aeon.

Carrion
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 22, 2016
I consider myself 'done' with the DS and it's time to move on. I don't think it will push too many people away (maybe those who pirate excessively and those who aren't willing to give chances). Besides, there are several people who will buy a 3DS just for a new Pokemon game.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
Not really. The change was inevitable, and a whole lot slower than the one to the DS. By keeping the games on the DS as well, it really limited what they could do with the games. I mean look at those graphics, and how it's entirely in 3D now. This change just gave me more of a reason to actually buy a 3DS now, and I doubt I'm the only one who has it that way.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I don't think so. If there's any harm done to the games reception it'll proably be at the same level as Generation 3's, still be the best games in the system.

spike6958

TCG Collector
Years
  • Age 35
  • UK
  • Seen Apr 30, 2021
No way, if anything this is the game that'll save the 3DS. Let's be honest, while it's a lot better now than it was, the 3DS is still struggling in the games department, but finally getting a main series Pokemon title will boost sales insanely. In fact, most people I know who where holding off on getting a 3DS where specifically waiting for Pokemon to be announced before buying one.

Years
  • Age 30
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023
Yknow, I don't think so at all. For one, the 3ds isn't excessively over expensive, especially if you're buying preowned. Plus, it plays all the DS games so I can see a heap of kids trading in their old DSis for 3ds'.

Plus, as soon as you say "this console is being phased out", every mother seems worried a DS will be a waste of space and upgrade

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
In Japan, 3DS has already sold better than the PS3 (10 mill VS 9 mill) and it's already 1/3 of the DS sales (32 mill), adding an average 200k per week (source, using info from Media Create), so, if anything, this game will boost the console a bit further. In Europe and the US, where the sales are a bit slower, it will be the step they needed to kill off DS and force people to move on.

There have always been people who couldn't afford buying a GBA and that didn't kill Pokémon after Gen II.

Last edited:
Years
The only problem is, you buy the 3DS to play pokemon, but what else? You can't just buy a new console just to play 1 or 2 games on.

Yeah you may buy more games for it later down the line, but in the end your spending how ever much for a new console and new game(s) instead of just the new game.

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years
For me they will lose tons of sales from this, A massive majority of sales for BW2 came from the standard DS buyers rather than 3DS users. SO in my opinion pokemon will be laid to rest this year, not everyone can afford a 3DS, I know they moved it to the 3ds so that they could make the graphics better and stuff but that still doesn't excuse the fact they just took a massive crap on standard DS users such as myself.

Years
The only problem is, you buy the 3DS to play pokemon, but what else? You can't just buy a new console just to play 1 or 2 games on.

Now, this is a very good point. If you don't have a 3DS already, how many of you are buying the console for this game alone?​

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

This will massively shift 3DS's through the roof, it looks brilliant!

Renyui!

ascender
Years
I doubt it will slow sales, considering most of the target audience own a 3DS. Heck, I know a lot of my friends bought a DS for 4th gen way back, and it's not like the 3DS doesn't look promising in the future.

Back