• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Pokémon Sprite Discussion [from RBYG to XY]

Years

Pokémon Sprite Discussion

Over a span of time, I've noticed several topics discussing sprites in a particular game of which kind of could've expanded into bigger and better threads.

Thus, after collaborating with Aegis, I've come up with this, an Official Sprite Discussion thread that spans all canon Pokémon Games. [No Fan Made, please.]

You can discuss pretty much anything about sprites in the Pokémon Game Franchise: Favorites, Least Favorites, et cetera.

Have fun! :]

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
YES FIRST TO POST IN A THREAD

All I can say is its so amazing how Pokemon has evolved through out the ages. Most people didn't think that Pokemon will last that long, from black and white to color and they keep getting better and better

:t354:TG

HirakuNoShadow

Au contraire mon frère.
Years
Platinum Sprites that I hate:
I reckon Rampardos currently has one of the worst Platinum sprite ): WHY did it have to change from a cool looking Pokemon in a about-to-smash-at-something pose to a cool looking Pokemon in a standing pose T_T

Lucario's front sprite looks worse in Platinum as well ): DP sprite seems much better as well - Platinum looks as if Lucario's about to lose or something

Shellos looks like a snake now ever since its mouth got opened

Drifblim looks as if it's going to explode on someone's face

I thought Gible looked alright in DP; in Platinum...

Hippowdon also has a similar story as Rampardos - It looks MUCH more cooler with its mouth open T_T

I really don't like the new Rhyperior sprites, the original one looks much better imo

The wings of Giratina-A doesn't look great imo, I think it looked better during DP

on the other hand...

I reckon Infernape had a great improvement in its sprite in Platinum

Garchomp looks much better in Platinum, ironically when Gible looks worse in Platinum

I like how Darkrai is in Platinum now, looking as if it's trying to reach at something

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
Years
Some red and blue sprites were truly horrific:

Spoiler:

look at Metapod, Mankey, Machop, Victreebel, Geodude, Gastly, Koffing, Chansey and Eggsecutor especially.

Vyro

Master Douchelord
Years
  • Seen Jun 8, 2014
Golbat sprite=Fail

no, really. it sucks.

Silhouette

On my way to Viridian City ♪
Years
Eww.. that thing is hideous. XD

But yeah, I hate Platinum's Hippowdon sprite. It looks sleepy, whereas D/P's looks all vicious and "I MUNNA EAT CHU!"

Johnny590

It's cute how you think I care
Years
Lucario's front sprite looks worse in Platinum as well ): DP sprite seems much better as well - Platinum looks as if Lucario's about to lose or something

Shellos looks like a snake now ever since its mouth got opened

Drifblim looks as if it's going to explode on someone's face

These reasons made me LOL like crazy, especially Drifblims.....xD

That original Golbat sprite is a real, REAL shame. It's like they wanted to make him look HIDEOUS on purpose.

Geodude looks like he just had his face smashed in, Vileplume looks anorexic, Porygon reminds me of a Cybernetic Dinosaur, Omastar looks in shock because he is alive, Blastoise looks just plain fat and the Exeggutor sprite is just plain freaking creepy. More than the Ghastly one. Yeah, I went there.

On the positive side, some of the best sprites were Aerodactyl, Electrode, Alakazam, Nidoking, Gengar, Magneton, Hitmonlee and Venasaur. :)

I'm glad most of the original pokemon sprites got fixed over the years....or improved at least. XD

Last edited:

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
Meh, Gyarados looks too snake like now, it always looked like a Lung Dragon to me

Roxasabridged

Lucariowner
Years

I thought it looked as cool as the original... It looks like he's gonna launch himself in the air for an Aura storm.

I don't like Back sprites where all you see is a head (Like Garchomps), it looks kinda stupid...

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Someone please explain this to me.

Spr_1b_014.png

Why in the love of ass does Kakuna have claws? Was GameFreak planning on making him vicious? Yeah, it looks kind of cool, but I never expected a cocoon to have retractable claws and come at me like Wolverine.

Last edited:

Dragonfly

Teh Spamfather
Years
  • Seen Dec 15, 2009
SilverSmeargleSplatter: Someone please explain this to me.

Why in the love of ass does Kakuna have claws? Was GameFreak planning on making him vicious? Yeah, it looks kind of cool, but I never expected a cocoon to have retractable claws and come at me like Wolverine.

I have no idea. probably just a creative designer ?.?

mattman324

Run to the hills, run for your lives!
Years
Spoiler:

QUOTE]

This just reinforces the fact that Wigglytuff is creepy. I mean, look at it!

Yes, many of these are failures. These include Mewtwo, kabuto, Tauros, Goldeen, Koffing, and Gloom. However, you also have things such as Gyarados, Aerodactyl, Lickitung, Krabby, Digglet, and Tentacruel.

Pekin

Wigglytuff is and has always been on acid.
Years
What's up with Golem's sprite in RBY?! And while we're at it, what's with some of the backsprites?

rbback005.png

What's this? Charmeleon never had a horn like that, as far as I know.

rbback056.png

And what's up with Mankey's arms?

rbback003.png

This is supposed to look like Venusaur..

rbback031.png

Nidoqueen?

rbback067.png

Does Machoke have a mullet or something? Seriously, what is that?

Years
What's up with Golem's sprite in RBY?! And while we're at it, what's with some of the backsprites?

rbback005.png

What's this? Charmeleon never had a horn like that, as far as I know.

rbback056.png

And what's up with Mankey's arms?

rbback003.png

This is supposed to look like Venusaur..

rbback031.png

Nidoqueen?

rbback067.png

Does Machoke have a mullet or something? Seriously, what is that?

Yeah, Charmeleon's backsprite looks fat, compared to it's front one. Venusaur's was just atrocious, looked nothing like it. And that thing on Machoke is it's crest xP Backsprites in B/R were just all pixilated, and horrible looking.

175.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Samme!

Haterz gonna hate
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Oct 3, 2011
Well, at least they can give you a good laugh! Personally, I absolutely love the Platinum Sprites! They are way better than the ones in Emerald were. I couldn't stand it!

Back