• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The discovery of Unova

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
So a post in the two years ago thread gave me this idea! How do you think Unova was first discovered? When exactly (since it is true that Village Bridge is around 200 years ago, that's all we really know about Unova's age)? Do you think they set out to find Unova? Would've a team of gym leaders been on the journey? What places do you think were first built? What would've been the selling point to get people to come to Unova instead of whatever region they were in? And so on! Discuss your thoughts! n_n

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Would've a team of gym leaders been on the journey? What places do you think were first built?
...Given what we know of Unova having the Relic Castle/ruins and the nearby house ruins in W2 as well, something along those lines would have been first built. I think that'd have been before more modern times too with gym leaders and whatnot. Those buildings suggest people lived in Unova for well over 200 years; usually towns don't disappear under sand overnight.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
...Given what we know of Unova having the Relic Castle/ruins and the nearby house ruins in W2 as well, something along those lines would have been first built. I think that'd have been before more modern times too with gym leaders and whatnot. Those buildings suggest people lived in Unova for well over 200 years; usually towns don't disappear under sand overnight.

They didn't disappear under sand, but the Mayans sure did one hell of a disappearing act.

Anyway, I doubt that gym leaders were a part of the first colinzation efforts.

Generally, you don't send a lot of people to a unknown place and tell them to explore and settle everywhere. You have them settle in a single place first, scout out the area, then slowly expand.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023

They didn't disappear under sand, but the Mayans sure did one hell of a disappearing act.

Anyway, I doubt that gym leaders were a part of the first colinzation efforts.

Generally, you don't send a lot of people to a unknown place and tell them to explore and settle everywhere. You have them settle in a single place first, scout out the area, then slowly expand.

Oh by gym leaders I was thinking the "elite" at the time of Unova's creation. And by elite I kind of thought gym leaders. But yeah idk, where do you think they'd have settled, then? I wonder if it'd have been like Castelia, given that's one of the most advanced locations tbh. Plus a port, too!

Years

Oh by gym leaders I was thinking the "elite" at the time of Unova's creation. And by elite I kind of thought gym leaders. But yeah idk, where do you think they'd have settled, then? I wonder if it'd have been like Castelia, given that's one of the most advanced locations tbh. Plus a port, too!

When they settled, I would have to assume that it was indeed in Castelia, seeing as the only other places that would have made sense are Nuvema and Aspertia (which doesn't show up in the first games), and they aren't nearly big enough to have been past settlements in my opinion.

And whether or not it was settlers or indigenous people living there, I'm pretty sure the items found in the Abyssal Ruins say they were created around 3,000 years ago, which means that people have been living in Unova for at least a few centuries, I would think. And I think that the Relic Castle is also another good point that shows that Unova has been around for well over 200 years.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
When they settled, I would have to assume that it was indeed in Castelia, seeing as the only other places that would have made sense are Nuvema and Aspertia (which doesn't show up in the first games), and they aren't nearly big enough to have been past settlements in my opinion.

And whether or not it was settlers or indigenous people living there, I'm pretty sure the items found in the Abyssal Ruins say they were created around 3,000 years ago, which means that people have been living in Unova for at least a few centuries, I would think. And I think that the Relic Castle is also another good point that shows that Unova has been around for well over 200 years.

Well Undella's also another place they could've settled, given how you mentioned Abyssal Ruins are right there and it might've been a stable location to settle in - food to eat nearby from fishing, sun, etc.

As for the items, maybe they were natural and not necessarily human owned? I mean they could've been from a past... settlement, even before being officially discovered.

droomph

weeb
Years

Well Undella's also another place they could've settled, given how you mentioned Abyssal Ruins are right there and it might've been a stable location to settle in - food to eat nearby from fishing, sun, etc.

As for the items, maybe they were natural and not necessarily human owned? I mean they could've been from a past... settlement, even before being officially discovered.

I think that's what he's trying to say. Like, Native Americans and the Europeans that colonized North America. We "discovered" America, but the Native American tribes had already lived there for like 15,000 years.

And considering...200 years of recent settlement...ancient civilization...based on New York...doesn't seem that too far-fetched, no?

Years
My guess is the first places that were settled were places near water, as they most often are in real life. So Relic Castle, (keep in mind, no desert/it IS near water) Castelia City, and Driftveil. (definitely Driftveil since we learned that klink appeared about a hundred years ago, and someone had to notice that?) Also, maybe even opelucid, since it is very old looking in white, and perhaps Icirrus because of the architecture?

Also, definitely the East side of Unova. Landorus's shrine, the ruins, Lacunosa town... it all screams ancient civilization.

Years

I think that's what he's trying to say. Like, Native Americans and the Europeans that colonized North America. We "discovered" America, but the Native American tribes had already lived there for like 15,000 years.

And considering...200 years of recent settlement...ancient civilization...based on New York...doesn't seem that too far-fetched, no?
Yeah, that is basically what I was trying to get at. And I don't know why I didn't go back and fix the first part of my post, but I meant to include that Undella would have been a possible spot they settled in, once I though about the Abyssal Ruins. And it's possible that the artifacts may not have been human owned (considering that many species of Pokemon are quite intelligent), but I highly doubt that Pokemon could have crafted the Abyssal Ruins themselves.

Back