• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen The Pokémon Names (So Far)

AniRain

Goddess of Storms
Years
I know that a lot of people were hating on the Pokemon names of Gen 5 - I was to an extent as well but they've kinda grown on me. I feel that Gen 6 is kinda swinging back into the pokemon way with the names - but then again we've only seen, like, maybe 15 pokemon out of god knows how many.... What are your opinions of the names you've seen so far?

Last edited by a moderator:

BraveNewWorld

The Breaker
Years
Liking the designs. And most of the names. Three still needs their English names revealed - skinny black caterpie thing, fire shinx, and conjoined fairy-flower thing.

Some of the names are bad.

Talonflame? lol que?
Yveltal? What is this, Hebrew?
Vivillon - Villian, wut?

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I actually like the name Talonflame. Usually they combine words together, but with Talonflame, it just wouldn't sound right.

Tame,Talame, Taloame, see what I mean. They actually do this a lot people just over look it. Also, as far as I am concerned. If it is a pokemon, it is a pokemon design.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
Clauncher = Claw + Launcher - Pistol Shrimp actually move their claws so fast, it makes a shock wave. Mantis Shrimp can "launch" their claws with the force of a .22 caliber bullet. I think that would be Clauncher's evolution.

Really Awesome choice for a pokemon. A real life animal I can't believe even exists in nature. I wonder what Moves Clauncher will have.

I Can't choose Frokie cuz Clauncher is a must have water pokemon. (I love all the starters though)

Guy

just a guy
Years
Gen V had some really long, complex names for a lot of the Pokémon and up to now I still can't remember all of them. So I'm glad to see this generation going back to the simpler names of Pokémon and not continue making names that are too tedious to remember.

Oh, and I'm totally cool with this thread discussing the names of the new Pokémon, but let's just keep it to the names as we already have various other threads to discuss the new Pokémon and their designs.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
So far I'm pleased, with some exception. Some are simpler than Gen V complex name, which is fine considering how Gen III, and generation before it have simpler but catchy names too. The only one problem is Talonflame. It is the lamest name I've ever heard in the series. It just like.....Vanilluxe named instead as Vanillaice. This name alone tarnish what they have done with Braviary and Volcarona. I hope I wouldn't see the rest like Talonflame, and more the like Clauncher and Vivilon.

pedrito3_poke

Banana
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 25, 2022
I was more talking about the pronunciation of it. I didn't know that though. Interesting.

http://translate.google.com/#fr/en/vivillon
Just click the
qV6bgxJ.png
in each side and you can hear two ways of pronouncing it. I'm going to pronounce it with a french accent and that's actually how I think it's meant to be pronounced.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Gen V had some really long, complex names for a lot of the Pokémon and up to now I still can't remember all of them. So I'm glad to see this generation going back to the simpler names of Pokémon and not continue making names that are too tedious to remember.

Oh, and I'm totally cool with this thread discussing the names of the new Pokémon, but let's just keep it to the names as we already have various other threads to discuss the new Pokémon and their designs.

Same here, I only remember like half of them, both because they were so many and the rather complex names compared to say Absol, and Shinx.

Anyways the names of gen 6 are easier to remember...and spell: Gogoat, Talonflame, Helioptile, Vivillion, ect

Last edited:

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
Talonflame? lol que?
Yveltal? What is this, Hebrew?
Vivillon - Villian, wut?

Imo, Talonflame is far from the worse name/ portmanteau we've had. I wouldn't call Ninetails, Sandshrew, Mr.Mime, Seel, or Voltorb very creative either. Especially Seel. All they did was changed one E in "Seal" to an A.

I like the name Yveltal alot myself. Yvel is a Middle English spelling for "evil" and 'quetzal" a colored bird, found commonly in Mexico. So "Evil Bird" basically. Maybe it's name hints it's type. Dark types are associated with being evil and nasty so I think cause of it's name it's most likely a Dark/Flying type.

The names for Gen VI Pokemon are much easier to say and remember than the Gen V ones. I think they're unique and it's finally good to have simple names again.

Miss Anne Thrope

Disgusted
Years
Hating on Gen V names?
The all seem to follow the same formula to me..
Charizard: Char + Lizard
Emboar: Ember + Boar

So I don't understand.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
Talonflame's Japanese name is listed as Flarrow on Serebii. That looks more like a pokemon name. Maybe Talonflame was a developed placeholder like "Skull Kraken" was for Gyrados.

blue

gucci
Years
A couple of the names could've been better but in terms of the others, design and name wise I think they're great. I like Vivillon, Fennekin, Clauncher etc.

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
Talonflame. I can't. I mean it sounds a but good, but the way it's spelled. It's just two words.

I don't like how the names are becoming more obvious. I'm needing the Name Origin section of Bulbapedia less and less now. It's not fun.

Guy

just a guy
Years
Well we have confirmation about the other names of the new Pokémon.

Kofukimushi will be known as Scatterbug.
Kofuurai will be Spewpa which we already knew.
Shishiko will be known as Litleo, Little Leo.
Lastly, Furabebe will be called Flabébé.

Again, all pretty simple and easy to remember. My favorite has to be Flabébé though. That's so cute!

pedrito3_poke

Banana
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 25, 2022
Haha! I like the sarcasm in the last one...
Anyway we all know that there are lots of genwunners out there, but those are not actual Pokémon fans so why should anyone even care?
Not to mention that disliking a Pokémon just because of its name is pretty stupid.
I don't really like names like Talonflame and Litleo, but whatever...

waveguidebuizel

weirdguybuizel
Years
I think the names are pretty good (well, for the most part). My favorite names are probably Chespin, Fennekin, Helioptile, Vivillon, and Clauncher. Flabébé was also a pleasant surprise, because they actually use the accented "e". Maybe nicknames will allow such characters now (as opposed to in B2/W2 where I wanted to use an accented "e" but couldn't find it).

Talonflame is the name I like least; it's two complete, unaltered words sitting next to each other. I do like the "talon" base, though. Maybe it could've been changed slightly, like Taloflame, Taloflare, or Taloflair.

Litleo doesn't really flow well, but I like how the name can be interpreted in two ways at the same time. "Lit" can mean little or lit (as a lit flame/candle).

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
Not just their names, but their designs too:
Spoiler:

I need to post a counter comic to cheer me up after that other comic make me sad. Sorry for being a little off topic.

Spoiler:

This comic is much more optimistic about pokemon.

Last edited:
Back