• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Is it worth buying a 3DS to play this game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Aug 3, 2014
Is it worth getting a 3DS just to play X&Y? I want to get back in the pokemon community of trading, battling, sharing online because I haven't done so in years... but I don't know if I should just get Black2 and a cheaper DSI or get the latest thing? 3DS plus pokemon Y

blue

gucci
Years
Well that's really your decision, I've heard of several people saving up for a 3DS to play these games once they're released. If you're going to buy a 3DS to play any of the games so far I'd say Pokémon X and Y are your best bet, and obviously it helps if you're a Pokémon fan as you said you are. Although obviously you don't have to buy a 3DS and can stick to the older handhelds which offers plenty of Pokémon games but we are moving forward and Pokémon games from here on out are likely to be on the 3DS, so if you do want to carry on playing the games and keeping up with the trend then I would recommend buying one at some stage.

Years
i think its about how you spent your money.
if there is nothing more important or useful to you to spent your money on and you got extra cash than why not.

i heard about lot of people like you who bought 3ds only for pokemon but then tried another 3ds games and like those too. so i offer you to try some other game you able to buy ome.

Last edited:

MrGriszell

Madara
Years
  • Seen Feb 11, 2021
Yes, it is very worth to buy a 3ds just for pokemon. Your buying one at the right time. I bought mine as soon as it came out and to be honest the first game I got for it was fire emblem awakening , so that mean I had it for two years before I actually got a game that I'd like on it. This is a good year because they're at least 5 awesome games that came out this year and now we can include pokemon in the ranks.

So yes if you truely want to get back into pokemon you need to start from the top and work your way down.
I remember when I got back Into pokemon in 2010, i bought a DSI and got heart gold, the bought platinum then soul silver, then pearl then I bought the latest DS that could play gba games and got emerald, then I bought fire red, then ruby, then leaf green then sapphire. By that time white came out in Japan so I imported that, then the us release came got white and black then a japanese black 2 and then english BW2. ( take deep breath)

Is the hobby expensive yea sure why not , is it worth it of course it is.

Of course even tho I've been a fan since 1996 when i played a japanese copy of red version ,I got back into pokemon when I was 19 so money wasn't really a matter for me.

I honest to god feel bad because if you'd posted this 2 weeks ago I would have given you my old 3ds just to make your transition into pokemon that much easier .

Years
If you are a big enough Pokéfan to sign up here you probably should get a 3DS for this game.

Pokemon was the only reason I bought the DS and it's now the reason I have a 3DS too. It's definitely worth it. There's usually some other good games to get for the console from time to time as well though.

Ultimately it's your choice.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
X and Y are my main reasons for getting a 3DS cause I want to continue playing the newest games to see how they improve to see where the franchise is headed. Plus I just love Pokemon.Though as others have stated, it's your choice. If you want to keep up with the current games then I say yes. While we have no idea how good the games will be , they look very promising and look like they will be great games just from looking at the news and screenshots. So I'm definitely willing to go all out to buy the games and a 3DS for them.

Years
I always like playing the newest games even though I got my 3DS XL prior to the announcement of X and Y (I got mine the same time I got my Black 2 and White 2 games) and I am glad I got it because I was expecting the main games to eventually be 3DS-exclusive. It's all part of my career as a Pokemon gamer after all.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
If your a pokemon fan and you plan to stick to the main series games, then yes. There will never be another normal DS game coming out. It will always be for 3DS from here on out till there is another system to come out. They are starting to stop production of the normal DS's.

The only reason I got a 3DS was for Pokemon X and Y. Otherwise, I still wouldn't have one if it wasn't for Pokemon X and Y

Meaii

The countdown begins ...
Years
If you are a true Pokémon fan, I recommend it. If you aren't a full out Pokémon fan, I also recommend it.

A true Pokémon fan would do anything to play the next game in the series, even if it means buying a 3DS.

Even though a not full Pokémon fan wouldn't spend a lot of money on one game, 3DS has an amazing variety of other games to play as well.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
I didn't buy my 3DS just for Pokemon X and Y. I also bought it for games like Super Pokemon Rumble, Super Mario 3D Land, Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance, and the like.

In other words, it was worth it buying a 3DS.

toxictwinkie

Mini moose will rule you all
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2014
DO IT! You won't regret it. C:, though my 3DS is a few years old now, which puts you in a very good position to buy one, since the price drop. So cheap now. I wish I waited. :P

Heck, I am even thinking of getting the Pokemon X/Y 3DS XL at launch (If it does get released outside of japan) but the games are pre-installed. Grumble. Which is a little off putting.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
What I believe: Yes. Yes it is, only for playing Pokémon X&Y, a mere game (with two sub-divides), and spending all that money, and this a game which you're probably gonna finish in a week, and also after the fourth re-playthrough, you'll get bored and move to something else.

What I feel: No. It's a game which you should buy only if you plan to play other 3DS games, or if you're a long-term Pokémon fan, meaning when the next Pokémon game is released, it's obviously on the 3DS, and so you'll get a long-term investment.

I've been a bit of a hypocrite on both my statements, but if you want to go back to the Wi-Fi Pokéworld, then yes. Buy 3DS and Y, along with Black 2 if your budget stands.

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2014
Yes.

And really, the 3DS is probably the best gaming console around right now. The selection of titles already is incredible. It sucked at launch, but it's amazing now.

You should have a 3DS anyway if you like portable games! You won't regret buying a 3DS for Pokemon X & Y.

Years
  • Seen Feb 13, 2015
Yes I think it is definitely worth it. I was never bothered about getting a 3ds till I heard about pokemon x and y I was really hoping it would be released on the ds but it's not. It looks like a major improvement for this game I like the fact you can train your pokemon without battling and feeding your pokemon and more focus on bonds with pokemon. I think pokemon has taken a big step forward and has given fans what we needed from the first game. The only thing I dislike is mega evolutions but everything else seems great. Plus nintendo are bringing out many other great games and online play seems alot better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back